Metformin

bazcom

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

I'm Type 2 on1.5g of Metformin for the past 9 months and all is well. HbA1c typically at 35.
Generally I'm a very good boy and look after myself.
However, I've got an old friends reunion coming up this weekend (not seen these guys for a couple of years now due COVID) and likely to be lots of merriment.
I do find that if I misbehave with food and drink, the Metformin lets me know!
Would you advise stopping Metformin for a few days, continue with it, or sit in the corner and drink water?

Many thanks

Barry

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In what way does the Metformin let you know ?
Carol

Dudette1

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bad attitude
Hi,

I'm Type 2 on1.5g of Metformin for the past 9 months and all is well. HbA1c typically at 35.
Generally I'm a very good boy and look after myself.
However, I've got an old friends reunion coming up this weekend (not seen these guys for a couple of years now due COVID) and likely to be lots of merriment.
I do find that if I misbehave with food and drink, the Metformin lets me know!
Would you advise stopping Metformin for a few days, continue with it, or sit in the corner and drink water?

Many thanks

Barry

I take my metformin in a morning with breakfast early, if I’m having a drink that night, I don’t take the tea time dose. That’s me personally, it’s all down to you, and I know what you mean about the metformin letting you know, hence why I don’t take my tea time one if I’m having a drink. It’s entirely down to you and what you are comfortable with.

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Although Metformin can be useful for some people the main reason you have an excellent HbA1c will be your diet. Stopping the met for a few days is unlikely to make much difference to your levels and if you feel uncomfortable taking it with alcohol then don't.
If you're anything like me the biggest concern of having a few too many is that finishing the night off with a curry or pizza would seem like a good idea and I would probably end up sabotaging my good control for the next few days

Reactions: Dudette1