Diabetes and Memory loss

wellwell1212

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Liars and cheats
I have been meaning to ask about this one for while but, kept forgetting :lol: I ain't no chicken (57) and starting to get worried. I have been reading some stuff this morning about Diabetes and related memory loss, these were American studies, nuff said :roll: . Are we T2 any more prone to memory loss than any other group in society ? If so why is this ?

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi .
Thank goodness you 'remembered' !! :lol:
Great question , as I would love some angles and reasons [if there are any?] to this...
My memory is TERRIBLE!
Am interested to know IF there IS a link here with this one....
I worry on a bad day - its the start of alzheimers !!!
Anna.x :)

markd

There are two main types of dementia - Alzheimers, which is related to abnormal clumping of protein fragments around the neurons - I don't know if there is a direct diabetes connection, though there might well be.

The other is vascular dementia which is related to circulatory insufficiency - since sustained high blood glucose causes a host of circulatory problems in a number of organs (google for atherosclerosis and diabetes or dementia), it is not surprising that it has an impact on the brain too.

Some Oxford research published in PLOSS1 (Public Library of Science) finds that supplementation with B6, B12 and Folate can dramatically reduce vascular dementia (again, you can google that and make your own mind up about supplementation)

Since early dementia runs in my family, I started taking the supplements when I first became aware of the research through friends (long before publication). I'm now over 60 and show no real signs of mental degradation, yet am already some years older than my father was when his symptoms were already quite pronounced.

As with so many things diabetes, the best course seems to be to keep your BG as close to non-diabetic levels as you reasonably can.

MarkD

wellwell1212

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Liars and cheats
Cheers Mark, I am reading that uncontrolled T2 in particular, will increase the risk of Demanture. :think: This worries me since my 82 year old father is a T2 controlled for donkeys years without drugs and has been on Dementure drugs for the past few years, also I lost my mother to Alzheimers five years or more ago. Think this puts me in the front line :shock: