Eating out at Restaurant

ljdub

Since I was diagnosed with Type 2 last month, I have cut down massively on carbs as best I can.
Yesterday we visited a Marstons Restaurant and had wings and 1/2 chicken with veg and chips (tut-tut) I know I shouldn’t but thought I’d just see what the spike was.

Tested before the meal and it was 6.2, 2hrs later it went up to 8.1 so I was well happy. Although the chips portion was small it was perfect for the meal.

This won’t mean that I will now have chips all the time but is a nice little bonus

Reactions: KK123 and Antje77

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Next time test at 3 hrs as well because the high fat can delay a spike?

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Since I was diagnosed with Type 2 last month, I have cut down massively on carbs as best I can.
Yesterday we visited a Marstons Restaurant and had wings and 1/2 chicken with veg and chips (tut-tut) I know I shouldn’t but thought I’d just see what the spike was.

Tested before the meal and it was 6.2, 2hrs later it went up to 8.1 so I was well happy. Although the chips portion was small it was perfect for the meal.

This won’t mean that I will now have chips all the time but is a nice little bonus

Hi there, as already said, if you are thinking about what foods raise you etc, or are keeping an eye on it, it definitely is best to test things such as chips at the 3/4/5 or even longer mark! If I have them as part of a meal, then I split my bolus (different for you I know so this is as an example), and around hour 5 I take another unit of insulin to cover the second rise as I call it. For me, it's probably to do with secondary insulin responses and so on but it's well worth popping an extra test in there.

ljdub

Ok thanks, I did do a test at 3hrs and that dipped to 6.9 as you can see from mySugr app, would it go up again after 4hrs, still a novice at this and just trying to see triggers,
IMG_1392.jpg

Lakeslover

I agree it’s worth checking. I’m also type 2. I self fund a libre. So I had a small portion of chips at approx 2pm Tuesday. You can seefrom the graph the spike peaked almost exactly 2 hours later, and came down as quickly as it rose. But I didn’t have anything else with them and for me that does make a difference to the timing of spikes. The other thing is that following this (and with a very low carb meal that night) my morning peak was higher than usual…..that usually happens following a higher carb day.
015732B4-7285-42E6-B5D0-25A2F0D3AB80.jpeg

Lakeslover

Everyone is different so it’s about doing exactly what you are…..experiment and test. You will get the hang of it and it gets easier once you know how you react to different foods.

Reactions: ljdub