Type 1 looking for other type 1 diabetics

Kels*

Hi I’m 26 been diagnosed with diabetes since age 15, I am just simply looking for other type 1’s to chat to and relate to! Thanks

Reactions: Yaya10_10

Chloelox

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi ! Thank you for commenting , how are you finding having diabetes at the moment how is your control .

At the moment my control isn’t the best, it’s not terrible but it’s not good either. Having diabetes itself is difficult, some days I can handle it fine, other days I want to tear my hair out whilst screaming ‘why me?!. How about you?

Kels*

At the moment my control isn’t the best, it’s not terrible but it’s not good either. Having diabetes itself is difficult, some days I can handle it fine, other days I want to tear my hair out whilst screaming ‘why me?!. How about you?

I am sorry to hear ! I am the same the past couple of months have possibly been the worst control since I was diagnosed . I’m trying to take control again but still running above 10 , I’ve had blood and urine test today so will wait to see what the damage is. It is hard isn’t it I don’t think people realise how demanding it can be it’s basically like a second job , that was one of the reasons I wanted to find some other people going through the same as me as I don’t feel family and friends understand as much ! Hope u are ok and hope u get back under control as best you can :)

Chloelox

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am sorry to hear ! I am the same the past couple of months have possibly been the worst control since I was diagnosed . I’m trying to take control again but still running above 10 , I’ve had blood and urine test today so will wait to see what the damage is. It is hard isn’t it I don’t think people realise how demanding it can be it’s basically like a second job , that was one of the reasons I wanted to find some other people going through the same as me as I don’t feel family and friends understand as much ! Hope u are ok and hope u get back under control as best you can :)

I feel like the pandemic has caused a lot of uncertainty for a lot of diabetics, I haven’t had bloods done since June 2020. So over a year ago, my control used to be really good but now a lot of the time I feel like I don’t know what I’m doing or how to control it. It can be extremely frustrating, I do hope to get it more under control and am currently trialling different things to try get some control back but unfortunately I’ve started having a lot of hypos again due to this and it absolutely sucks. Hypos scare the **** out of me.

Kels*

I feel like the pandemic has caused a lot of uncertainty for a lot of diabetics, I haven’t had bloods done since June 2020. So over a year ago, my control used to be really good but now a lot of the time I feel like I don’t know what I’m doing or how to control it. It can be extremely frustrating, I do hope to get it more under control and am currently trialling different things to try get some control back but unfortunately I’ve started having a lot of hypos again due to this and it absolutely sucks. Hypos scare the **** out of me.

Yes hypos are scary! I would rather have high blood glucose than low personally ! Well I am always here to talk if you are struggling we are all in it together :)

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.

If you're struggling, the people over at Diabetes.org do run support groups. The groups can be useful if you want face to face contact with other diabetics and people you can 'relate' to outside the scope of these forums.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hey @Kels* Welcome to the forum :)

It's quite a lonely job at times managing your type 1, I am having a a hard time at the moment with hypos too, normally my control would be reasonable but it's bouncing around like a rubber ball, not sure if it's my hormones, a bad CGM site or infection, feels like you have a to be a detective sometimes to figure things out, also not a fan of hypos at all, but when you in the teens and taking corrections it can suddenly hit you, someone once said it's like going up the stairs and coming down in the elevator..

I run a support group in Worcs if you're anywhere near there PM me, we meet again in January after a long time so would be great to see some friendly faces :)

Kels*

Hey @Kels* Welcome to the forum :)

It's quite a lonely job at times managing your type 1, I am having a a hard time at the moment with hypos too, normally my control would be reasonable but it's bouncing around like a rubber ball, not sure if it's my hormones, a bad CGM site or infection, feels like you have a to be a detective sometimes to figure things out, also not a fan of hypos at all, but when you in the teens and taking corrections it can suddenly hit you, someone once said it's like going up the stairs and coming down in the elevator..

I run a support group in Worcs if you're anywhere near there PM me, we meet again in January after a long time so would be great to see some friendly faces :)

Hi thank you for your reply ! It is difficult i feel ever since I was diagnosed age15 I’ve never had good control it’s such a struggle especially working full time trying to start becoming an adult etc . Just feel I’m either to lazy to handle it or it’s just to hard. I do not want any complications right now so I’m really trying to change my diet get all the good stuff in me but my blood sugars really don’t know what they are doing I haven’t had a hypo for over 2 months as they have been running so high due to me “ giving up” and not doing my insulin . I had a bit of a scare and felt faint like I was going to pass out and that’s where I drew the line and realised I’m really damaging my body and need to get a grip and get this under control again . I live in the north east of England so unfortunately I don’t live close by ! Thank you for your time and commenting on my post :)

Yaya10_10

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Kels*

It is difficult to manage your bg levels and it can be challenging.

It is good you come to this place and I think we all support each other.

I am not from UK and I am here in the UK for a short time but yeah I think chatting about bg and diabetes is a good thing( although it is itself not good :p)

Reactions: Kels*

Kels*

Hi @Kels*

It is difficult to manage your bg levels and it can be challenging.

It is good you come to this place and I think we all support each other.

I am not from UK and I am here in the UK for a short time but yeah I think chatting about bg and diabetes is a good thing( although it is itself not good :p)

Welcome to the UK hope your enjoying your time! Thank you for your response it feels nice to speak to people going through the same as me sometimes it can be lonely dealing with the pressure of diabetes even when you have many friends and family!

jonathan183

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
it can be lonely dealing with the pressure of diabetes even when you have many friends and family!

Unfortunately it's one of those things people struggle to understand. Even when someone explains how poor blood glucose control feels its not the same as experiencing it ...
I have not been on insulin very long but I found Dr Bernstein's Diabetes solution useful ... low carb and smaller insulin doses should give better control. He is a type 1 diabetic diagnosed at age 12 and now in his 80's - I found the book a bit heavy going ... but I consider it worth the effort.

Good luck for the future ... and keep working at it :)

Kels*

Unfortunately it's one of those things people struggle to understand. Even when someone explains how poor blood glucose control feels its not the same as experiencing it ...
I have not been on insulin very long but I found Dr Bernstein's Diabetes solution useful ... low carb and smaller insulin doses should give better control. He is a type 1 diabetic diagnosed at age 12 and now in his 80's - I found the book a bit heavy going ... but I consider it worth the effort.

Good luck for the future ... and keep working at it :)

Thankyou I will most certainly take a look at that book! I have had almost a grown up moment this year and really feel I need to start to control my diabetes not let it control me anymore .

Thank you for your comment and response ! :)

chrisbug

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Radio 1.
Hi,
I've been T1 for about 22 years, and my GP and nurse kept telling me I had excellent control based on my HBa1C, what they weren't noticing was my bouncing from low to high which ended in me having a hypo a year ago, that pulled the rug from under me!
I feel terrified at those memories and just thinking back to that day can bring me to such a low feeling.
Anyway I got help from the hospital, family and friends, and things are so much better now.
I would say that at times Diabetes is my full time job and everything else is a distraction, every decision I make during the day I have to consider Diabetes, it is exhausting.
And I would love for it not to be that way, but for me it is.
A year ago I had my big wake up call, better late than never!
Take care