type 1 and gliclazide

megan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
dishonesty and ********
this is the one i have been waiting for. from my own history i knew that an antibiotic...clarithromycin....made my insulin levels drop a lot in a week. then i find out some years later that an ingredient of this is in gliclazide. so i asked for this to be able to work to my advantage.

now i have finally received it. have been on it just over a couple of weeks. now on the 4 tablets a day i am noticing some changes.

the two meal s a day that i take these tablets, are allowing me to reduce my insulin.

all meals were 2 units of novorapid per 10g......now breakfast is 1.5units novo per 10g and dinner is 1 unit per 10g.
result i'd say. but its not easy. and each day presents its own usual problems. i am trying to increase exercise carefully too as historically this goes down the pan!....mainly because of my severe insulin resistence and so it all goes out of wack.

any other type 1's got some experiences on this?......as usual my dr and nurse say that i am an unusual case as the same rules don't seem to apply for me ??!!

quite exhausted, just want to have some diabetic control in my life..... :shock:

alaska

Hi megan

Gliclazide works by stimulating the pancreas to release more insulin.

Was your diabetes diagnosed when you were a child or adult?

If you were diagnosed as an adult, this could explain to some extent why the gliclazide-like property has this effect.

Cutting down on carbs should in theory help improve insulin sensitivity, as should exercise as you state.

Ed

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Megan!

Gliclazide can only work if your pancreas is capable of producing insulin. Are you sure you're Type 1? Maybe you are LADA so still producing some insulin or one of the MODY types which respond very well to glic. Or you might be a misdiagnosed Type 2? If I were you, I'd go back to your diabetes care team and ask for various tests to try to diagnose you properly e.g. Gad antibody test and c-peptide test to start with. Glic should not work for someone who has been diagnosed Type 1.

Keep us informed how you get on.

Smidge

davey b

smidge said:
Hi Megan!

Gliclazide... ....should not work for someone who has been diagnosed Type 1.

Keep us informed how you get on.

Smidge
That's why they stopped me having it and put me on HumulinM3. I'm very doubtful that it is the Gliclazide - unless there has been some misdiagnosis somewhere along the line. I'll be interested in the outcome too. Please keep us updated. :thumbup:

megan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
dishonesty and ********
hi guys, thanks for the responses. about 6 months ago my diabetes dr questioned the type of diabetes i have. i was diagnosed age 16 years. the dr then said that i could only have a test to find out the type of diabetes for sure within the first two years of diagnosis.

so i got put on byetta for a 3 month trial. it made me feel very sick for the whole time and i got the point where i could hardly eat anything. in the 3 months i love 10lb. i didn't see this as anything significant because hardly eating i would have expected more weight to have come off. so this was an exceptionally low carb diet. i was also in no fit state to do very much.

a few years back i was on metformin for some time and that didn't do much.
so now on the gliclazide. my meal doses have gone from 2 units of novo per 10g carb, to 1.5 units with breakfast gliclazide and 1 unit per 10 g for dinner gliclazide.
so result so far.

whilst i appreciate the usual angle of low carb and increase exercise, it has never worked for me,. believe me i have tried.

i managed exercise successfully the other day, without my sugars shooting up!...but that was one day. i did have to take lucozade part of the way throught to stay safe and i still got a low straight after.
emotions effect it very much. i can feel slight excitement or anxiety and it shoots up the sugars. i can talk to someone on the phone and it shoots up the sugars.
its random and tiring.
but i keep going.
the diabetes won't stop me, but i would love to have some resemblence of control over it!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Emotions and stress can play havoc with our bg Megan, try and stay positive and keep up with the exercise! :)

megan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
dishonesty and ********
i was on the animal insulin approx 2 years ago. my fibromyalgia didn't get diagnosed till a year ago. so i can't make that connection myself at the moment. when i was back at the diabetic drs last year and asked to try the quick acting animal insulin so i was completely on animal insulin, that is when he told me i was best on the glargine or levemir with novorapid, as i had been doing and he would not be changing that.

he thinks that i am always just clutching at useless strawes and am anxious about it and thats the beginning middle and end of it really.

iHs

Hello

Every day we find out something new about different ways of controlling bg levels. I'm glad that you have now got something that is working for you. I think you will find that because you need less insulin now than before, you will also slowly lose some weight with any luck.

Something for you to think about a bit regarding Fibro and that is to move to a different area (mainland UK?). My friend's fibro appears to have gone simply because she has moved from an area where it was always raining with coal mines to another area where the weather is much nicer (summer that is). She only longer feels depressed so that has got something to do with it all as well.

Reactions: megan

megan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
dishonesty and ********
Ok a few years on. Dr took me off gliclazide as he said it was an old drug he was phasing out.
I have moved under extreme stress and it's been **** since.
But I have been on the pump for about 5 years.
Full dose metformin.
One dr wouldn't accept I could eat green salad and it made my sugars go up.
Now with a different team for years and it's accepted it's just me. That I go into Keto genesis when I follow a no carb diet. Hence my sugars go up and my insulin resistance continues and my weight gain has continued. A lot.

So I've been following Slimpod for over 12 weeks with no weight loss.
I'm now trying 16:8 intermittent fasting.

Now I live else where I'm wondering about trying gliclazide again but asking for a longer trial and dose adjustment as time goes on.
The idea being that it still contains the active ingredient as clarythromycin that originally dropped my insulin requirements by a third in one week.
Hence help with the resistance and weight loss.
Does any one have knowledge or experience in this? Thanks