How long before eating after taking insulin

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
How long do you wait to eat after taking your insulin? I am on fiasp .
Very much depends, when I used pens (now on a pump) I used to have it 10-15 before breakfast but if I took it that early before lunch dinner then a hypo would hit - for those meals I had to take it just before.

On a pump now and its just before breakfast and for lunch and dinner depending what it was it's either just before or just after (presuming I wasn't taking ages to eat - which I rarely rarely do).

Yes I was using Fiasp on pens and still am on the pump

Reactions: EllieM and Kels*

Kels*

Does anyone also know how long it usually lasts for before doing a correction is it 3hours?

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It depends on my blood sugar. Am on Fiasp via a pump, and if bloods are high, I take it, and then monitor via Libre until bloods have come down to a point I feel happy to eat at. If bloods are within range, then 15 minutes before eating. If bloods are low, then I'll have it at some point during meal.

Reactions: Kels*

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have been using Fiasp for over a year. I find that the speed at which is works depend on what my starting level is.
For example, if my levels are in the 4s, it works immediately so I bolus AFTER eating. However, if my levels are in double figures, it can take nearly an hour to start working so I need to bolus 30 minutes before eating.

@Kels* I highly recommend getting a Libre if you don't have one (you can get a free trial from their website) to find out what works for you. One thing that is constant with diabetes is that we are all different. So knowing what works for me, does not mean you are the same.

Reactions: EllieM and Kels*

Kels*

I have been using Fiasp for over a year. I find that the speed at which is works depend on what my starting level is.
For example, if my levels are in the 4s, it works immediately so I bolus AFTER eating. However, if my levels are in double figures, it can take nearly an hour to start working so I need to bolus 30 minutes before eating.

@Kels* I highly recommend getting a Libre if you don't have one (you can get a free trial from their website) to find out what works for you. One thing that is constant with diabetes is that we are all different. So knowing what works for me, does not mean you are the same.

Thank you for your response ! I do have the libra 2 I was lucky enough to be aloud this over a year ago now . I am struggling to get my blood sugars under control at the moment and just was curious as to what other people do with pre bolus etc. when I firstly got diagnosed age 15 I was told to do my insulin 15 minutes AFTER eating so it’s always been difficult for me being older changing this to do my insulin before strangely . Thank you very much for your response and your take on what you do. I am in touch with my care team weekly at the moment as they are doing all they can to try figure out why they are still high but hopefully after some more trial and error I should eventually find what works for me and my blood sugars :)

LionChild

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
whisky
Well I don't know anyone else who does this, but if I am having say, a lasagne/or other ready meals which require for me around 6 units of Novorapid, unless I start at a rather low blood glucose level, I will actually inject around 45 mins before eating. That way, the glycaemic nature of the food is inhibited from going quickly high. I find this works usually very well, but I have not read of others injecting so much earlier than eating time....

Reactions: Kels*

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Hi @Kels*, have your care team asked you to do any basal testing? https://www.mysugr.com/en/blog/basal-rate-testing/ It’s not always just the bolus, the Fiasp in your case, that needs to be adjusted to get blood sugars down. I find that basal needs can vary from season to season; I need more in the colder months than I do when it’s warmer.
I also find that if I eat when my blood sugars are above 8 then I also need to put in an extra bit of bolus to bring them down, and wait until they begun to get lower before I have any carb. Thank goodness for the Libre, even though the interstitial glucose lags 15 minutes behind a blood test, and the ability we now have to track sugars without sore fingers!
Having said that, there are times when my results are far from perfect, and the air gets a bit blue.

Kels*

Hi @Kels*, have your care team asked you to do any basal testing? https://www.mysugr.com/en/blog/basal-rate-testing/ It’s not always just the bolus, the Fiasp in your case, that needs to be adjusted to get blood sugars down. I find that basal needs can vary from season to season; I need more in the colder months than I do when it’s warmer.
I also find that if I eat when my blood sugars are above 8 then I also need to put in an extra bit of bolus to bring them down, and wait until they begun to get lower before I have any carb. Thank goodness for the Libre, even though the interstitial glucose lags 15 minutes behind a blood test, and the ability we now have to track sugars without sore fingers!
Having said that, there are times when my results are far from perfect, and the air gets a bit blue.

Hi yes the care team have slowly made me increase my basal from 22 units to 30 , such a trial and error at the moment I’m still running above 10 on a fasting blood glucose waiting to hear Friday I have a call with them to discuss , I was curious if 15 minutes was long enough as I have been doing this all week and it just spikes after eating . I think I just need abit more time to see what works for me ! But thank you for your response I appreciate it :)

Reactions: Fairygodmother

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
I find it depends what I eat I normally take mine about 20 mins before but if I eat pasta pizza kebab or such like I can take it an hour and a half after and I normally over calculate , it’s taken a while to get this sorted but it works for me , pasta is one of the ones for me if I take my insulin before I eat it my sugars rocket about 4 hours after

Yaya10_10

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I find it depends what I eat I normally take mine about 20 mins before but if I eat pasta pizza kebab or such like I can take it an hour and a half after and I normally over calculate , it’s taken a while to get this sorted but it works for me , pasta is one of the ones for me if I take my insulin before I eat it my sugars rocket about 4 hours after
You take your insulin after yiu meal wheb having pizza, does it help when you spike because I spike 3 hrs after pizza and i still high for a long time?
Do you have same isse?
Should you think i try to take insulin later?

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
You take your insulin after yiu meal wheb having pizza, does it help when you spike because I spike 3 hrs after pizza and i still high for a long time?
Do you have same isse?
Should you think i try to take insulin later?
Taking my insulin after I eat any pasta pizza style dishes does help with my high blood sugar spikes ! If this will work for you? I can’t really say as we know diabetes is in individual thing , it took me a bit of experimenting to get where I am today, but that’s diabetes , you eventually find out what works for you , there are hard and fast rules but sounds like you are experiencing similar things to me when you eat pizza, which isn’t uncommon , these type of foods tend to be what I class as “ long term” carbs which I find take longer and to raise stars , it can be a bit of trial and error at first but you will get there in the end

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Yaya10_10 for me I have found the only way to deal with pizza is multiple injections. I also find I need double the amount I would for my normal day to day foods. I eat it rarely because of this. I tend to split it into 4 over a 6 hour time period. Sort of pretending to be a pump. I call it the devils food.
We are all individual and you need to experiment with what may work for you.

Reactions: Yaya10_10

Yaya10_10

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you @Ushthetaff for your response and I will try to find what is best for me.

Thank you @becca59. I use multiple injections and I will try to find what suits me.

Thank you all again