University Project - Making A Documentary about living with Type 1 Diabetes

Would you be interested in featuring in this Documentary?

• Yes

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 2 66.7%

• Total voters

JackHowell21

Hello,

My name is Jack and I am currently a 3rd Year University student studying Media Production, and after being diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes at the age of 21 around at the end of July has encouraged me to create a documentary piece about it for my final year project (FMP).

This project would revolve around getting rid of any stigma or misinformation about type 1 diabetes and feature young adults like myself or ultimately anyone who has Type 1 and highlight the daily routines and some struggles we go through such as being alert 24/7 about our blood sugar levels. Anything filming wise would commence in 2022 whether that be interviews over places such as Zoom or in person (whichever you prefer). If anyone is interested in participating or have any questions please reply under this thread or message me privately.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Seacrow

Type of diabetes
LADA
Only young adults? Are you allowed to be ageist? People have type 1 from age zero to the very old. Possibly you want the newly diagnosed, as they are the ones fighting through misinformation and learning to tell stigma to stuff off.

JackHowell21

Only young adults? Are you allowed to be ageist? People have type 1 from age zero to the very old. Possibly you want the newly diagnosed, as they are the ones fighting through misinformation and learning to tell stigma to stuff off.

I don't want to come across ageist at all, apologies if it came across that way. I'd definitely want to feature both young and older people who have diabetes to feature as they'd provide a differing mindsets and opinions regarding experiences and stuff like that.

Ultimately the objective of this documentary is to spread awareness about Diabetes.

Last edited:

Kels*

I may be interested to help, I am 26 have had a lot of struggles with diabetes. Had diabetes since I was 15 .

Reactions: Antje77

JackHowell21

I may be interested to help, I am 26 have had a lot of struggles with diabetes. Had diabetes since I was 15 .

Thank you very much for replying, hope you're doing well. Having a perspective such as yours would be very helpful and insightful, I've only had diabetes for 3+ months so I can't imagine having to deal with it for over a decade.

As of right now, in regards to the documentary I'm not going to be filming much until early 2022. However, communicating with people such as yourself right now will help establish a connection that will make any interviews that take place much easier. Again it means a lot for you to express any interest in helping in making this documentary so thank you.

Reactions: Kels*

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
Been diabetic 41 years lost my leg through it I would be interested in a documentary , if only to show how much treatment has changed for the better I might add

JackHowell21

Been diabetic 41 years lost my leg through it I would be interested in a documentary , if only to show how much treatment has changed for the better I might add

Thanks for your reply, hope you're doing well. Something that I definitely want to talk about is how "manageable" diabetes has become through the use of technology such as pumps and CGMs, but like you said we have to show how treatment used to be. Once again, thank you for expressing your interest.

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
Thanks for your reply, hope you're doing well. Something that I definitely want to talk about is how "manageable" diabetes has become through the use of technology such as pumps and CGMs, but like you said we have to show how treatment used to be. Once again, thank you for expressing your interest.
Hi @JackHowell21 I could echo @Ushthetaff without the unfortunate amputation, but a double transplant caused by Type 1 if this adds anything of interest. Great idea for a documentary.

Little_Lucy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi! I’m 19 and I’ve had diabetes for 6 years now and I’m a first year uni student. I’d love to take part and help in any way I can :)

StamfordB19

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @JackHowell21 I am 29 and was diagnosed when I was 26. I am always open to help spread awareness so feel free to send me a PM, would love to help out.

Reactions: Lrlp
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi,
I would be happy to be involved if beneficial for what your looking for. I have been Type 1 since I was 7 - some 45 years now. Up to this point I am totally fully fit and well with no signs of any complications.

Reactions: Lrlp

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
It also says "...or anyone ultimately who has Type 1." I have just had a very good 33 minute chat with Jack as arranged. I am 63!!

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Just to bump this thread, since @JackHowell21 has not had as much active response as expected. As I said above, I have just had a very good 33 minute chat as arranged.

RoughcutAU

G’day Jack. Not so young 41yo old Aussie a newish (6months) member to the T1D club. Not sure if you would prefer locals.

Brookemurph

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello,

My name is Jack and I am currently a 3rd Year University student studying Media Production, and after being diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes at the age of 21 around at the end of July has encouraged me to create a documentary piece about it for my final year project (FMP).

This project would revolve around getting rid of any stigma or misinformation about type 1 diabetes and feature young adults like myself or ultimately anyone who has Type 1 and highlight the daily routines and some struggles we go through such as being alert 24/7 about our blood sugar levels. Anything filming wise would commence in 2022 whether that be interviews over places such as Zoom or in person (whichever you prefer). If anyone is interested in participating or have any questions please reply under this thread or message me privately.

Thanks.

I’d be happy to help. I’m 21 and diagnosed 2 months ago

JackHowell21

Hope everyone is doing well, for those who have expressed interest could you please to reply to the private message I have sent to help further this project along. Along with this, if anyone else is interested in participating just reply to this thread. Thanks

JackHowell21

The documentary is finished! Here is the link:

So a huge thank you to Grant and David for contributing their experiences with this condition in a interview with myself, and thank you to the mod team here for allowing me to create the post in the first place. Hope all is well.