High sugars for no reason

GuidingSenses

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all I’m Type 1.5 on Novorapid and Tresiba 1 mmol per 10g carb and 1.5 mmol for porridge

I’m only 2 years in, aged 60 with diabetes

Possibility of underactive thyroid - being retested

Woke up morning before last with a high of 17 yet id had my Tresiba 5 mmol at night. Felt headachey and not right. It’s been erratic and I’m struggling to get it down to ‘in range’ but not now as high. I mean my sugars are increasing now without food from say 10 to 17 and I’ve just had a correction dose to bring it down before bed and my Tresiba dose- is anyone similar? Do you know if this may be because I’ve got a headache, thyroid problem?
Thankyou

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Since you're type 1.5, it could just be that you've been on your honeymoon period so far and now your insulin needs are increasing (for either or both of your insulins), or it could be something temporary like as suggested a vaccination, or an illness (as you say you've had a headache)

You don't say how long this has been happening, if its only a day or so it could be temporary, if its much longer it may be that your doses need adjusting - I would talk to your diabetes team though

Reactions: GuidingSenses

GuidingSenses

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Since you're type 1.5, it could just be that you've been on your honeymoon period so far and now your insulin needs are increasing (for either or both of your insulins), or it could be something temporary like as suggested a vaccination, or an illness (as you say you've had a headache)

You don't say how long this has been happening, if its only a day or so it could be temporary, if its much longer it may be that your doses need adjusting - I would talk to your diabetes team though

Thankyou and yes hopefully temporary as woke up to a 8.2

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
How are your injection sites? If you inject into an overused site (particularly basal) it can not work so well....

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
So as discussed sudden highs can be infection or reaction to jab which is a form of physiological stress. Emotional stress can have a similar effect. Hopefully your beta cells are still making a little insulin and with good care they may carry on!
The other factor is weight gain (usually triggered by too much insulin not too little) or loss of muscles as we age but this wouldn't result in a sudden spike.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @GuidingSenses

A high reading can be caused by many factors, infection, illness, bad site, insulin etc etc, poor sleep, change in seasons etc etc however it's best to not act on one isolated incident on it's own, if this is an ongoing issue then you may need to review your basal insulin needs, hopefully a one off though.