Weetabix weetos or Bran flakes ?

Grazer

tangram said:
Peanut butter, well sainsburys crunchy is 2.5 per tablespoon !!
Really? I've got sainsburys organic crunchy and it's only 10 grams per 100, which is almost half a jar. remember, it's low GI carbs as well.

tangram

I bought that once when Sains had run out of their regular, I must admit I did like it and if its that low think I will change !! Only 30 minutes to go before first blood test ...Gulp

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
tangram said:
Your right Grazer I did mention All Bran when I meant Bran flakes...must have bran on the brain

Better than where you usually get bran in my opinion :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously, I can't stand the stuff and it sends my BG high as well! I either make my own granola (WhitbyJet posted a brilliant recipe - do a search and you'll find it) or I have 50g rasperries, 75g Total full fat yoghurt and 20g Lizi's granola - the whole lot has about 15g carb (and as i am on insulin, I jab 1.5 units Apidra for that) - not sure what it would do to a type 2, though.

Smidge

ollyb

I remember seeing something on Watchdog or similar in the past, where they compared the nutritional information of Special K and Frosties, and found them to be exactly the same. I find the general rule to be that the nicer it is, the worse it is for you.

Eat a sausage instead.

Camilla

Dislikes
Negative people with closed minds.
Neither. All cold cereals are extremely high in carbohydrate, never mind the fibre content. Take a close look at the label - all will be at 85% or more carb content. For me they are on my completely 'no way' list. The other thing is that the milk you add to them contains carbs as its number 1 ingredient. If they contain dried fruits that means fast acting fructose too. Truly bad news on every front.

Grazer

Camilla said:
Neither. All cold cereals are extremely high in carbohydrate, never mind the fibre content. Take a close look at the label - all will be at 85% or more carb content. For me they are on my completely 'no way' list. The other thing is that the milk you add to them contains carbs as its number 1 ingredient. If they contain dried fruits that means fast acting fructose too. Truly bad news on every front.
They're not that bad Camilla. All bran is only 48 grams per 100. Shredded wheat and most others around 70. Although fruit has fructose, berries are low GI and if they replace the same weight of cereal, they REDUCE the overall carb count as the fruit has less carbs per 100 than the cereal. Milk is only 5 grams carbs per 100 mls and is low GI
Certainly, some can't tolerate cereal, but others tolerate it very well.
I'm lucky, I can eat cereal with no problems. Real solution is to try then test

Camilla

Dislikes
Grazer said:
Camilla said:
They're not that bad Camilla. All bran is only 48 grams per 100. Shredded wheat and most others around 70. Although fruit has fructose, berries are low GI and if they replace the same weight of cereal, they REDUCE the overall carb count as the fruit has less carbs per 100 than the cereal. Milk is only 5 grams carbs per 100 mls and is low GI
Certainly, some can't tolerate cereal, but others tolerate it very well.
I'm lucky, I can eat cereal with no problems. Real solution is to try then test

Very true. Each of us has a different tolerance level. I suppose certain items like cereals, potatoes, rice etc are so high in carbs that I programme them out of my thinking completely. The only way to tell is to test as you say.

Etty

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
chocoholicnomore said:
I need something quick and easy for work days. Was thinking maybe some wheat crackers (2.7g carbs each) with cheese. I don't enjoy yoghurts. Omelette is ok but takes time to make. Suppose I could get up a bit earlier
You might be surprised by how quick eggs can be. I can cook scrambled eggs in 5 minutes. I eat them straight from the pan, lovely and hot with a bit of melted cheese, and sometimes a handful of berries on top. If you keep a little pan specially for this purpose, the washing up is a simple too, just a quick swish and wipe under the tap. Couldn't be simpler really.

Camilla

Dislikes
Eggs are the most versatile of foods, I just love them. Usually I just stick one in a pan to boil for breakfast. They have virtually no carb and are very filling and satisfying. I buy fresh free range eggs from a local farm and they really are delicious.

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
I love eggs too, luckily I am not a lover of cereal at all. Only trouble is, when I have eggs for brekky, my mind automatically thinks "toast"..a heavenly combo.!
I find that some mushroom alongside the eggs takes away the craving for a slice of toast, if low carbing or just trying to cut down.