Dismissive GP

Needing help!

Hello!
I’m very new here but am hoping for some help/advice!
For the past few months I’ve been experiencing a lot of symptoms of insulin resistance - lethargy, difficulty concentrating, skin discolourisation (which I suspect is acanthosis nigiricans but the GP is very dismissive of my concerns), ankle swelling after eating, constant tinnitus…
My GP is ignoring all my concerns because I’m technically underweight and she insists my fears are all in my head.
Had my hbA1c tested and came back normal but I’m also anaemic so could give false negative.
I have a home glucose test kit and consistently get prediabetic fasting numbers (around 6ish)
I try to greatly restrict carbs to reduce numbers (can get them to 5ish with 50g daily carbs)
I’m at a bit of a loss about what to do - I feel like I need help with metformin to get my insulin resistance symptoms under control but I don’t want to force my body into high levels to prove to the GP that I have prediabetes/insulin resistance…?!
Any advice on what to do would be greatly appreciated!!

many thanks!

ajbod

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi and welcome to the forum.
What was your hbA1c result, you say normal but what level was it.
Anemia looks to be be your most likely problem as that can cause skin discoloration.
Virtually always causes lethargy and also Tinnitus.
I don't wish to be indelicate but what is your weight, bmi.
We cannot diagnose anything for you, but i suspect the problem is Anemia, and the usual
doctor with a very poor bedside manner. Please stop worrying so much, press your doctor to
sort out your anemia and then you're in a position to take stock properly.
Stressing about it will do no good at all.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Anemia looks to be be your most likely problem as that can cause skin discoloration.
We cannot diagnose anything for you, but i suspect the problem is Anemia, and the usual
doctor with a very poor bedside manner. Please stop worrying so much, press your doctor to
It is generally accepted that iron deficiency anaemia raises HbA1c.

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people, corrupt politicians, poverty, happy pharmaceutical ads;
Hello!
For the past few months I’ve been experiencing a lot of symptoms of insulin resistance - lethargy, difficulty concentrating, skin discolourisation (which I suspect is acanthosis nigiricans but the GP is very dismissive of my concerns), ankle swelling after eating, constant tinnitus…
My GP is ignoring all my concerns because I’m technically underweight and she insists my fears are all in my head.
Had my hbA1c tested and came back normal but I’m also anaemic so could give false negative.
I have a home glucose test kit and consistently get prediabetic fasting numbers (around 6ish)
I try to greatly restrict carbs to reduce numbers (can get them to 5ish with 50g daily carbs)
I’m at a bit of a loss about what to do - I feel like I need help with metformin to get my insulin resistance symptoms under control but I don’t want to force my body into high levels to prove to the GP that I have prediabetes/insulin resistance…?!

many thanks!

Hi Newbie,

I had skin discouloration under my arms a year or so ago (acanthosis nigricans), but it went away when my lithium dose was reduced but it is common with diabetes; whatever it is I don't think it is psychosomatic; though I have not researched the validity of "stigmata". Maybe a second opinion?

Needing help!

Hello,
Thank you so much for your reply.
My hbA1c was 34, but I worry that was just because I had been so cautious with my carb intake - is the only way to truly ‘test’ if I am pre/diabetic to be to eat the amount of carbohydrates I actually want/is ‘normal’ and see the results?! I just don’t want to risk worsening insulin resistance and overloading my body unnecessarily to the point of no return.
I have been mildly anaemic for the past 5 years and the marked discolourisation of the ‘classic’ sites (armpits, groin and I have it even on my ankles and knuckes) has only appeared in the last 6 months so I’m dubious it’s the anaemia but I am on iron supplements so hopefully that will show one way or another whether that’s the cause.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. It sounds like you aren't diabetic but do have some medical problems that need diagnosis. Having a low-carb diet is good for anyone and will help weight reduction. Do have enough fats and proteins.

Needing help!

Hi. It sounds like you aren't diabetic but do have some medical problems that need diagnosis. Having a low-carb diet is good for anyone and will help weight reduction. Do have enough fats and proteins.

thanks for your reply.
I really want the medical problems addressed - especially as they’re making me incredibly anxious but no matter how many times I approach my GP and even with a second GP’s opinion, they are so dismissive of my concerns as I’m technically underweight.
I feel like I really need some piece of mind with regards to insulin etc as I spend so much time and mental energy trying to manage and count carbs etc that it’s so draining and making food so stressful.
Does anyone have any experience of convincing their GP to provide a OGTT on the NHS or will I have to privately arrange? (Very pricey from what I can see online!)

jonathan183

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
thanks for your reply.
I really want the medical problems addressed - especially as they’re making me incredibly anxious but no matter how many times I approach my GP and even with a second GP’s opinion, they are so dismissive of my concerns as I’m technically underweight.
I feel like I really need some piece of mind with regards to insulin etc as I spend so much time and mental energy trying to manage and count carbs etc that it’s so draining and making food so stressful.
Does anyone have any experience of convincing their GP to provide a OGTT on the NHS or will I have to privately arrange? (Very pricey from what I can see online!)

C-peptide might help confirm if your insulin is low/normal range/high ... not sure how likely it is you can convince the GP to do it. For OGTT especially if you end up having to pay for things yourself then you might be better with glucose and insulin measurement. I believe the Kraft pattern gives the earliest indication of insulin problems developing - you can get abnormally elevated insulin years before any abnormal glucose levels.

It does sound like some other issues like the anaemia may be more urgent ...

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello!

many thanks!
The things you mention are all easily linked to the anaemia... It's not something to be sneezed at. We can't diagnose on here, but it sounds like that's more your problem than anything blood sugar related. Up your iron intake, go for red meats and spinach for instance. And get some supplements going. Your doc is dismissive most likely because he thinks you're barking up the wrong tree, and it irks me that there's not being anything done about the symptoms that got you worried in the first place. You're not making them up, after all!

Hang in there. And while I'll usually an advocate for LCHF, you might want to leave that be for now, as you've not got any weight to lose and your HbA1c is fine. Forget the carbs for now, and focus on getting some iron into your system.

Good luck!
Jo

Reactions: Speedbird

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
thanks for your reply.

Have you had other things addressed, like thyroid issues or food, environmental sensitivities? Thyroid challenges can wreak whole body havoc.