A few asking for low carb food lists....

Languagelearner

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have seen a few members asking for low carb food lists for shopping etc. I was sent this list when I first came to this forum by a very helpful member and it was a god send to me amidst all the confusion. I just thought maybe others might find it useful/helpful in some way. I should have thought to share it before now but hope it proves useful to anyone needing a bit of guidance

Beef Roast
Beef Steaks
Corned Beef
Ground Beef
Poultry
Chicken pieces, thighs, legs, wing, breast
Duck
Goose
Pheasant
Turkey: whole, breast, leg portions, or ground
Pork
Bacon
Ground Pork
Ham
Italian Sausage
Bratwurst sausages (lidl) great taste & normal sausage substitute.
Pork Chops
Pork Roasts
Pork Steaks
Pork Tenderloin
Sausages look for high meat content
Tinned Pork & Ham
Fish
Canned Salmon
Crab
Flounder
Herring
Salmon
Sardines
Scallops
Shellfish
Shrimp
Sole
Trout
Tuna Fish
Spices And Condiments
Chili Powder
Garlic Powder Garlic Salt
Horseradish
Onion Powder
Paprika
Parmesan Cheese
Salt & Pepper
Salad Dressings
Salsa
Soy Sauce
Vinegar
Worcestershire Sauce
Yellow and Brown Mustard
Low Carb Syrups and Sweetener

Non-Starchy Vegetables
Alfalfa sprouts (great on salads)
Artichoke
Asparagus
Avocado
Bean Sprouts
Bell Peppers (green, red, yellow, orange)
Bok Choy
Broccoli
Brussel Sprouts
Cabbage (Any)
Cauliflower (Great as rice or mashed potato substitute.)
Celery
Celeriac
Chickpeas
Cucumbers
Fresh Spinach
Flax seed (add to salads & things)
Flower sprouts
Garlic
Green Onions
Hot Peppers
Leeks
Lentils
Lettuce
Mushrooms
Okra
Mushrooms
Radish
Peas
Yellow Onions
Red Onions
Squash
Tomatoes/paste & Sun dried
Zucchini
Note; frozen is most the time better than fresh.
Fruit (most is ok, but best in small portions.)
with root veg those with an orange tinge to them eg carrots, sweet potato, swede are better that the white veg, but still have to watch portion size.

Fats / Oils
Bernaise Sauce
Hollandaise Sauce
Mayonnaise
Olive Oil
Peanut Oil
Sesame Oil
cooking spray
Coconut oil

Dairy and Non Dairy
Milk full fat.
Coconut milk
Cheeses (hard)
Butter/Ghee
Cream Cheese
Eggs
Heavy Whipping Cream
Heavy Cream
Sour Cream
Yogurt
Greek yogurt, plain, full fat.

Snacks and Other Goodies
Olives (black)
Peanut butter
Pork Scratchings
Dark Chocolate 70% or more Cocoa (Good when cooking)

Ryvita. (A good replacement for bread.)
lidl's Rivercote sesame crispbreads, ( lower carbs than Ryvita)
Tuc crackers
Nuts (that you like.)
Seeds
Chia seed (This thread shows the benefits of this magick like seed. http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/72819/
These little beauties can be added to almost anything, they can even be used as an egg substitute & thickening soups, sauces stews etc.)

Flax seed - similar to chia.
Cornflour (great for thickening & making yorkkie puds etc)
Almond flour
Coconut flour
Cinnamon
Oatmeal
Soya flour
Breads
livlife
Burgen linseed & soya - shop around prices vary from like £1.59 coop to £1 asda. And of course LIDL HIGTH PROTEIN ROLLS
Low Carb Tortillas,
The higher the fiber & lower the carbs the better.
Try to avoid wheat based products as much as possible, including cereals

Drinks
Bottled Water (Drink 2-3 ltrs/day
Coffee (decaf) unless you can tolerate normal
Tea (decaf) unless you can tolerate normal
Hi, I got some ideas from the shopping list, but passed on the Ryvita - which is almost entirely carbohydrate. One slice only has 7g of carbs, compared with 18g in a slice of Hovis white bread, but Ryvita is 67% carbohydrate. It makes it awkward to design meals that are not just meat.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I got some ideas from the shopping list, but passed on the Ryvita - which is almost entirely carbohydrate. One slice only has 7g of carbs, compared with 18g in a slice of Hovis white bread, but Ryvita is 67% carbohydrate. It makes it awkward to design meals that are not just meat.

If you haven’t already found it, this website might be helpful to you: https://www.dietdoctor.com/

Impoftheyard

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the info. I am at the beginning of this journey and looking at your figures about you hba1c and weight are really encouraging! Well done and thanks! Irene

Reactions: zand

ZESTRIL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Stick with it,because it does work
It's been over a year now since I started my sort of a low carb diet I still have a drink at weekends I started at 15 stone I'm now 13 stone I probably would have been a lot less if had stuck to the diet but I'm happy in some ways but I seem to have a problem my with my blood pressure I don't know if its to do with the diet the last couple of weeks my blood pressure have been very low my Lowe's was 75/59 I'm 74 for years of age I've stopped taking the blood pressure tablets for now just see what going on it's going up a bit now this morning 116/60 I have spoken to my doctor he go send me for some tests

Reactions: Jill78

Win71

I have seen a few members asking for low carb food lists for shopping etc. I was sent this list when I first came to this forum by a very helpful member and it was a god send to me amidst all the confusion. I just thought maybe others might find it useful/helpful in some way. I should have thought to share it before now but hope it proves useful to anyone needing a bit of guidance

Beef Roast
Beef Steaks
Corned Beef
Ground Beef
Poultry
Chicken pieces, thighs, legs, wing, breast
Duck
Goose
Pheasant
Turkey: whole, breast, leg portions, or ground
Pork
Bacon
Ground Pork
Ham
Italian Sausage
Bratwurst sausages (lidl) great taste & normal sausage substitute.
Pork Chops
Pork Roasts
Pork Steaks
Pork Tenderloin
Sausages look for high meat content
Tinned Pork & Ham
Fish
Canned Salmon
Crab
Flounder
Herring
Salmon
Sardines
Scallops
Shellfish
Shrimp
Sole
Trout
Tuna Fish
Spices And Condiments
Chili Powder
Garlic Powder Garlic Salt
Horseradish
Onion Powder
Paprika
Parmesan Cheese
Salt & Pepper
Salad Dressings
Salsa
Soy Sauce
Vinegar
Worcestershire Sauce
Yellow and Brown Mustard
Low Carb Syrups and Sweetener

Non-Starchy Vegetables
Alfalfa sprouts (great on salads)
Artichoke
Asparagus
Avocado
Bean Sprouts
Bell Peppers (green, red, yellow, orange)
Bok Choy
Broccoli
Brussel Sprouts
Cabbage (Any)
Cauliflower (Great as rice or mashed potato substitute.)
Celery
Celeriac
Chickpeas
Cucumbers
Fresh Spinach
Flax seed (add to salads & things)
Flower sprouts
Garlic
Green Onions
Hot Peppers
Leeks
Lentils
Lettuce
Mushrooms
Okra
Mushrooms
Radish
Peas
Yellow Onions
Red Onions
Squash
Tomatoes/paste & Sun dried
Zucchini
Note; frozen is most the time better than fresh.
Fruit (most is ok, but best in small portions.)
with root veg those with an orange tinge to them eg carrots, sweet potato, swede are better that the white veg, but still have to watch portion size.

Fats / Oils
Bernaise Sauce
Hollandaise Sauce
Mayonnaise
Olive Oil
Peanut Oil
Sesame Oil
cooking spray
Coconut oil

Dairy and Non Dairy
Milk full fat.
Coconut milk
Cheeses (hard)
Butter/Ghee
Cream Cheese
Eggs
Heavy Whipping Cream
Heavy Cream
Sour Cream
Yogurt
Greek yogurt, plain, full fat.

Snacks and Other Goodies
Olives (black)
Peanut butter
Pork Scratchings
Dark Chocolate 70% or more Cocoa (Good when cooking)

Ryvita. (A good replacement for bread.)
lidl's Rivercote sesame crispbreads, ( lower carbs than Ryvita)
Tuc crackers
Nuts (that you like.)
Seeds
Chia seed (This thread shows the benefits of this magick like seed. http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/72819/
These little beauties can be added to almost anything, they can even be used as an egg substitute & thickening soups, sauces stews etc.)

Flax seed - similar to chia.
Cornflour (great for thickening & making yorkkie puds etc)
Almond flour
Coconut flour
Cinnamon
Oatmeal
Soya flour
Breads
livlife
Burgen linseed & soya - shop around prices vary from like £1.59 coop to £1 asda. And of course LIDL HIGTH PROTEIN ROLLS
Low Carb Tortillas,
The higher the fiber & lower the carbs the better.
Try to avoid wheat based products as much as possible, including cereals

Drinks
Bottled Water (Drink 2-3 ltrs/day
Coffee (decaf) unless you can tolerate normal
Tea (decaf) unless you can tolerate normal

Thank you i need this so much

Clase

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Reality TV
I am following the 10 week low carb Programme and while it is excellent, I found the food database too American and so hard to relate to UK food, I purchased the Carbs and Cals book. problem solved all info in UK English and now I complete the food diary manually. recommend people buy if they want to keep track and have an accurate record of Carbs
Hello. I found the carbs and cal book brilliant too. My doctor recommended it and it helped me stay on track. I lost over two stone and have kept it off for five years now so a very good investment.

• Winner
Reactions: jjraak

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
The Carbs & Cals book is also available as an app for a phone. It was free when I got it, but there may be a charge fr it now.

Reactions: jjraak

filly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Spicy food which is too hot. Nasty people who have no idea on your life journey but feel the need to comment and be cruel.
Hello. I found the carbs and cal book brilliant too. My doctor recommended it and it helped me stay on track. I lost over two stone and have kept it off for five years now so a very good investment.
The Cronometer web site is very good. You can track everything, weight and can press the Keto button so everything is set up keto. If you have the basic version you don't need to pay.

Martin_

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
Mrs M has asked me if Kiwi fruit is ok on a low carb diet, or is it too sugary despite the bitterness?

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mrs M has asked me if Kiwi fruit is ok on a low carb diet, or is it too sugary despite the bitterness?
At 12 grams of carbs per 100 grams of fruit, they're not fantastic. I wouldn't touch them, myself. Strawberries and such'd be better...

Reactions: Martin_

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@martin It comes down to what carb count you want for the day. Then you have to see if the carb count of the food fits into what you've allowed for the meal or the day. Berries in general have lower carbs than most other fruit.

You can find out any carb count of food by just putting it into search Kiwi's carb count or look up food in a couple of web sites. If you need some web sites I'm sure someone here can supply ones. The ones I use, use cups and ounces.

Reactions: Martin_

Mallyman

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
I eat Pork Scratchings as a Snack like they are going out of fashion. I get the Danish type as they clear most of the fat off the skin before deep frying. They were always my snack of choice before diabetes. So it's a huge bonus.

Reactions: IanBish

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I see this thread has been active again recently.

As a personal note, although it has some very useful items I wouldn't eat some of the things in the OP post - lentils, peas, cornflour, etc. would have spiked me.
And I was on a relatively high carb max than many doing low carb/keto (85g a day but not more than 30g in one meal).
The only way I know to check if you can cope with x grams of carbs is to get a meter and test, before then 2 hrs after every meal at first.

Mallyman

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
I see this thread has been active again recently.

As a personal note, although it has some very useful items I wouldn't eat some of the things in the OP post - lentils, peas, cornflour, etc. would have spiked me.
And I was on a relatively high carb max than many doing low carb/keto (85g a day but not more than 30g in one meal).
The only way I know to check if you can cope with x grams of carbs is to get a meter and test, before then 2 hrs after every meal at first.
I fight 2 battles. Im 60 with Pre-Diabetes and a kidney transplant. Keep carbs low. Keep protein (purines) low. Gout is not nice. So I have to do sport. I was 87Kg. I'm now 70Kg . Fit. Toned and have not had gout for a year. I fast for 16 hours a day now too. Take cider vinager before bed. But after a 112mg Blood Sugar reading after morning sport as my fasting glucose, and a breakfast of 30 Carbs ( 2 sugar) I still get a 150 mg reading 5 hours later.

Reactions: Grandma Misti

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I fight 2 battles. Im 60 with Pre-Diabetes and a kidney transplant. Keep carbs low. Keep protein (purines) low. Gout is not nice. So I have to do sport. I was 87Kg. I'm now 70Kg . Fit. Toned and have not had gout for a year. I fast for 16 hours a day now too. Take cider vinager before bed. But after a 112mg Blood Sugar reading after morning sport as my fasting glucose, and a breakfast of 30 Carbs ( 2 sugar) I still get a 150 mg reading 5 hours later.
Keeping proteins down and trying control sugars is an extra challenge but have you tried cutting carbs and adding in a little more of the healthy fats?
The only thing I eat with added sugar is 85% chocolate. And I've reduced my other carbs a lot but have cheese, olive oil, cream and butter. Are these ok for your kidneys?

Reactions: Mallyman