Strange blood glucose pattern

docphi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Trying to figure this out. I’ve had very predictable blood glucose patterns for two months. The last two days it’s as if a switch was flipped. Higher morning sugars, dawn effect lasting longer into the late morning, higher glucose elevations with food, and longer time for the glucose to come down after eating. Haven’t changed anything in my daily routine except I find myself eating less to try and keep the glucose elevations under 140. What would cause the glucose to go from a very typical post-prandial up and down pattern to just sitting around 120-130. I've verified with finger sticks. I can't imagine the Dawn effect would last all day. Would moving the clock back an hour cause this?

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Illness, vaccines, stress, sleep, medications, hormones are a few possibilities

Reactions: docphi

Tannith

BANNED
Trying to figure this out. I’ve had very predictable blood glucose patterns for two months. The last two days it’s as if a switch was flipped. Higher morning sugars, dawn effect lasting longer into the late morning, higher glucose elevations with food, and longer time for the glucose to come down after eating. Haven’t changed anything in my daily routine except I find myself eating less to try and keep the glucose elevations under 140. What would cause the glucose to go from a very typical post-prandial up and down pattern to just sitting around 120-130. I've verified with finger sticks. I can't imagine the Dawn effect would last all day. Would moving the clock back an hour cause this?
I'd ask the doctor or your diabetes nurse

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
There are a large number of things (apart from food) which can affect your Blood Glucose. The most common ones have been mentioned above.
My BG has been higher (about 1.8mmol higher) over the past few days because of an infection. It seems to be better now, but at its worst I didn't get stressed about it because I knew there was nothing I could do to alter it.

Duncan_Scott

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I've had similar to yourself and mine came straight after being put on statins and the booster vaccine. Its taken nearly two weeks for them to begin to get back to where they were but they are still high for me.