Angry

Finncity

Im having many emotions in the last week, mainly crying. But also anger. Im so angry at myself for letting myself get into this situation. Every donut and cake I knew what I was likely doing but was in denial and this is where I ended up.

This doesnt just effect me, it effects my husband life too and the guilt is horrible.

Im sorry for the pity party but I need to vent. This isnt a case of “why me”, its “why was a such an idiot”. Pretty devastated.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I shared some of this, as my mother had T2 and I knew I was at risk. But once I was diagnosed I finally found the strength to go low carb.
I thought about my eating triggers and foods I craved and found ways to deal with those - choosing substitutes and filling my fridge with low carb snacks got me through the first weeks.
I still struggle some days, but my bad eating days are many carbs fewer than my previous diet.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to work for Allied Lyons - and their main objective is to make as much money out of providing food which people want to eat. They do deliberately make it cheaper to produce, there was a whole section in research and development looking for cheaper things to add into the mixes.
There was absolutely no thought of making foods healthier - not for anyone.
There were a few benefits, like those allergic to eggs who could eat the cakes as they managed to remove eggs from the recipe completely but still get the rise and texture they required. It even increased the shelf life.
We even got involved with Dr Howard who developed the Cambridge diet meal replacements to treat the super obese created by bad diet.
It really isn't your fault - it is just the way things are allowed to be.
The worst thing now, though, would be not to start to make things better.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Im having many emotions in the last week, mainly crying. But also anger. Im so angry at myself for letting myself get into this situation. Every donut and cake I knew what I was likely doing but was in denial and this is where I ended up.

This doesnt just effect me, it effects my husband life too and the guilt is horrible.

Im sorry for the pity party but I need to vent. This isnt a case of “why me”, its “why was a such an idiot”. Pretty devastated.
Well, there's not much point in kicking your past self around... Your present and future selves are armed with knowledge now though, and that gives them -you!- the power to fix things. You're not in a coffin yet, and that means it's not too late to change the outcome. Look at it as Scrooge the morning after. Don't keep Christmas in your heart all the year, but low carb. Oh, alright, Christmas too. There's enough heart chambers to go around. ;)

M

Member496333

Been there got the pyjamas and matching pillow cases. Five years later diabetes was the best thing that ever happened to me. I now get to spend the rest of however many days I left left experiencing true health and being enlightened as to how the world really works.

Keep calm and carry on. You’re in safe hands here.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Use the anger as a motivator.

I was very angry at the lies told to be by the diabetes nurse at my surgery so channeled it into a "I'm gonna prove you wrong" vibe and did.

I realise that anger at yourself is different but harness it into being angry at the food addicitions that led you to self harm.

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
Use the anger as a motivator.

I was very angry at the lies told to be by the diabetes nurse at my surgery so channeled it into a "I'm gonna prove you wrong" vibe and did.

I realise that anger at yourself is different but harness it into being angry at the food addicitions that led you to self harm.
I couldn't agree more with you @bulkbiker as this is EXACTLY what worked for me!

Bubbleblower

BANNED
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Im so angry at myself for letting myself get into this situation.

To me that seems like a perfect response; kick yourself in the butt and then take responsibility to get out of that situation. You also have a great husband and a beautiful dog as motivation.

Reactions: Finncity

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I hate it when I read posts from new T2s who are blaming themselves for their condition. It's pointless and moreover, just wrong.

The modern diet as recommended by nutritionists has too many carbs for some people to cope with. For someone with T2 genetics, a bowl of porridge can be as bad as a donut if it has the same number of carbs. Please try to take the self blame out of the equation.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
When diagnosed I had spent almost 2 years following a GPs printed diet sheet, supposed to lower cholesterol, all complex starches and low fat - I was huge, almost spherical.
The doctor who gave me the news told me I was a very bad diabetic, but never mentioned diet once.
I lost almost 12 inches off my waist in a few months - it really isn't something self inflicted.
If you are a type two you can't cope with the amount of carbs in a modern diet, and it doesn't matter if they come from doughnuts or stoneground wholemeal flour, or from quinoa.

MrsDoodle72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise. But I'd better change that.
I hate it when I read posts from new T2s who are blaming themselves for their condition. It's pointless and moreover, just wrong.

The modern diet as recommended by nutritionists has too many carbs for some people to cope with. For someone with T2 genetics, a bowl of porridge can be as bad as a donut if it has the same number of carbs. Please try to take the self blame out of the equation.

when i was pre diabetic they gave me a diet sheet. half was carbs. I binned it and did the Newcastle diet. my issue is what am I do do when I'm not on shakes and veg, what's the 'business as usual' diabetic under control diet?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
when i was pre diabetic they gave me a diet sheet. half was carbs. I binned it and did the Newcastle diet. my issue is what am I do do when I'm not on shakes and veg, what's the 'business as usual' diabetic under control diet?

As low carb as possible.
Meat, fish, eggs, above ground veg and dairy.
Berries and dark chocolate as "treats" if required.
No stodge no sugar, no pasta. no flour or root veg.

BenCP

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Gym!

I'm also newly diagnosed so I know how you feel.

As a hobby, I'm a qualified motorbike instructor. When a pupil makes a mistake on the road I always tell them to remember it but focus on what's happening next. What has happened has happened, it's what happens next that makes the difference.

Good luck and be happy!

Reactions: McHelen