Why I think LCHF doesn't improve beta cell function

Tannith

BANNED
A low-carbohydrate high-fat diet increases weight gain and does not improve glucose tolerance, insulin secretion or β-cell mass in NZO mice
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/labs/pmc/articles/PMC4775822/ edited to include link to another source of same article

In prediabetic NZO mice, an LCHFD was accompanied by reduced blood glucose excursion following food ingestion. However, fasting blood glucose and insulin were elevated, suggesting that this diet caused further impairments in insulin action in these obese and insulin-resistant animals

Any potential benefit of reducing postmeal glucose excursion with such a dietary approach therefore appears to be outweighed by increased weight gain and a requirement for fasting hyperinsulinemia, which may be detrimental to β-cell function. Indeed, there is mounting evidence that initial hypersecretion of insulin in prediabetes contributes to β-cell stress and failure.47, 48 Therefore, rather than being beneficial, an LCHFD may ultimately contribute to faster decline in β-cell function.

...........A decline in β-cell function is primarily responsible for progressive worsening of blood glucose control in type 2 diabetes ………….

This is a mouse study. It is hard to find accurate human studies of LCHF related to T2 as it is not easy to ensure any trial participants were eating an exactly compiled diet. Mice have to eat what they are given!

Last edited:

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There is so much anecdotal evidence on this forum which proves the study is complete nonsense. I haven't bothered to look at who funded it, I just know through my own lived experience (10 years as a T2 and the previous 25 years trying to lose weight) that the conclusions are incorrect.

Increased weight gain? NO. Definitely not.
Now low calorie diets on the other hand do tend to increase long term weight gain as they slow down the metabolism. Again, this is my lived experience .

Personally I don't much care why I have managed to lose a little weight and kept my diabetes controlled with LCHF. I just know that I have.

@Tannith I don't understand why you invest so much energy into proving you might have been cured. Most of us are just happy that LCHF works for us.

I posted on another thread that just one month of LCHF has all but cured my non diabetic hubby's fatty liver, just as it did for me.

Reactions: Jackie on a journey
M

Member496333

Link doesn’t work for me. What type of fat was used? I’m guessing mitochondrial damaging toxic PUFA seed oil. Again.

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Another Human here who has put T2 into remission, no longer has high blood pressure and has lost a lot of weight with a low carb high fat diet.
Maybe this study would be more useful if posted on a forum for diabetic mice

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A low-carbohydrate high-fat diet increases weight gain and does not improve glucose tolerance, insulin secretion or β-cell mass in NZO mice
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov › ...

In prediabetic NZO mice, an LCHFD was accompanied by reduced blood glucose excursion following food ingestion. However, fasting blood glucose and insulin were elevated, suggesting that this diet caused further impairments in insulin action in these obese and insulin-resistant animals

Any potential benefit of reducing postmeal glucose excursion with such a dietary approach therefore appears to be outweighed by increased weight gain and a requirement for fasting hyperinsulinemia, which may be detrimental to β-cell function. Indeed, there is mounting evidence that initial hypersecretion of insulin in prediabetes contributes to β-cell stress and failure.47, 48 Therefore, rather than being beneficial, an LCHFD may ultimately contribute to faster decline in β-cell function.

...........A decline in β-cell function is primarily responsible for progressive worsening of blood glucose control in type 2 diabetes ………….

This is a mouse study. It is hard to find accurate human studies of LCHF related to T2 as it is not easy to ensure any trial participants were eating an exactly compiled diet. Mice have to eat what they are given!
Link doesnt work.

Poor mice. Good job low carbing has worked for me for a decade, isnt it. Mind you, I am not a mouse.

Bubbleblower

BANNED
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
It is hard to find accurate human studies of LCHF related to T2 as it is not easy to ensure any trial participants were eating an exactly compiled diet.

But then it is hard to find accurate human studies on any diet.

Why I think LCHF diets improve beta cell function is because they lower the stress from glucotoxicity.

Reactions: zand

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
As another poster wrote some where: my real life experience of losing 3 stone in 3 months with low carb and keeping it off for 8 years works for me.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Link doesn’t work for me. What type of fat was used? I’m guessing mitochondrial damaging toxic PUFA seed oil. Again.
The "LCHF" mouse chow was 10.6% sucrose and 10% canola oil.. the "normal chow" had zero added sugar.. odd that..

Screenshot 2021-11-15 at 12.39.43.png
Screenshot 2021-11-15 at 12.40.12.png

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov › ...

The link to pubmed is invalid. Page not found.

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
@Tannith . I recognize and accept that your approach to improving your health has worked for you and I hope that it continues to do so. However, would you please read and consider whether the papers you quote are scientifically valid? It feels as though you only read and post the abstracts without realising that the methodology from which the abstract is derived is flawed. You may wish to create a discussion but I am concerned that other people searching for information and support may take these abstracts at face value.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
At 80% energy derived from fat, the LC meal is almost pure fatballs. Not surprised at weight gain. The protein level is high too, the RDA for humans is about 1 or 1.5 g per kg body weight. The potassium/ sodium levels seem to be out of kilter too.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
According to the results section, they measured gonadal fat pad weight and this was the determining factor. ***?

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Here is some data on the NZO mice and why they are used in these experiments.
https://www.jax.org/strain/002105

Note that these mice suffer NIDDM and the onset is accelerated by a high fat diet. islet transplants correct this defect, and the mice can be restored to normal stasis, but they develop antibodies in the insulin receprtors making them very insulin resistant artificially. LCHF is known to take some time to overcome iR in humans, so the study was probably too short and not relevant to human behaviours.

Last edited:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Tannith

I want to thank you.
Your ‘discussion’ threads and links to outdated badly run studies do wonders to promote low carb high fat eating, and allow members to contrast this with how well formulated (non mouse) low carbing works so well.

You also give people the opportunity to post their own great LCHF experiences and provide good links to reputable studies showing how LCHF achieves such great results.

Keep posting.
You help LCHF tremendously.