Overnight level not coming down.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been rather upset for a week(family problems), so my blood sugar levels are higher in general. I get that.

However, if I go to bed with a reading of 9 I am also waking up with the same high reading. It goes back down during the day to 6-7 then seems climb before bedtime.

Any ideas on why it doesn't gradually go down all night? I only eat between 2pm - 7pm.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @lucylocket61,

Is it possible that it comes down during the night and then goes up again before waking (aka dawn phenomenon)?

Hugs for the family problems and associated higher blood sugar levels.

Reactions: EllieM

johnme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @lucylocket61,

Is it possible that it comes down during the night and then goes up again before waking (aka dawn phenomenon)?

Hugs for the family problems and associated higher blood sugar levels.
If you search around internet you can find links to a Freestyle Libre trial which will let you have just one of these expensive items for free on a trial basis. Then you can establish what's going on.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you search around internet you can find links to a Freestyle Libre trial which will let you have just one of these expensive items for free on a trial basis. Then you can establish what's going on.
No thanks. But thank you for replying.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I found the 2 week free trial eye-opening. I now know what happens during the night and as I'm on insulin I can adjust the Basal. It's not so easy if not on insulin.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No thanks. But thank you for replying.

Can I ask you why you won’t give a Libre a free trial @lucylocket61 ? Of course you don’t have to answer if you’re not comfortable to do so.
I resisted trying one due to the cost, for ages. However I went for the free trial and learnt a lot. In the first week I ate as normal (my normal low carb that is), then the second week I tried a small amount of a few carby things.
I have to say the Libre was very enlightening, but not a thing I could be bothered with all the time due to cost. I think I might become even more of a number geek if I used one long term ;)

Reactions: DEBBIESCOTT

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can I ask you why you won’t give a Libre a free trial @lucylocket61 ? Of course you don’t have to answer if you’re not comfortable to do so.
I resisted trying one due to the cost, for ages. However I went for the free trial and learnt a lot. In the first week I ate as normal (my normal low carb that is), then the second week I tried a small amount of a few carby things.
I have to say the Libre was very enlightening, but not a thing I could be bothered with all the time due to cost. I think I might become even more of a number geek if I used one long term ;)
I can't bear the thought of something in my arm, under my skin, for a long time. I know I am being stupid.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can't bear the thought of something in my arm, under my skin, for a long time. I know I am being stupid.
What actually remains in your arm is a flexible filament, there is no sensation of it being there. The disk that sticks on your arm is not much different from having an Elastoplast stuck on, you don't really notice it. I had a free trial and it was very useful.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just a thought: do you think nightmares may have something to do with it? I mean, stress is stressful, asleep or awake, right?

Being a carer can have its ups and downs. It helps that my son is a wonderful human being.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just a thought: do you think nightmares may have something to do with it? I mean, stress is stressful, asleep or awake, right?

Being a carer can have its ups and downs. It helps that my son is a wonderful human being.
Yes. Nightmares and broken sleep both affect BGs in my experience.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My few tries with a cgm do show me that bg goes up and down all night, just like it does in day time. The range may be less but the roller coaster is still there.

@lucylocket61 I think you'd find one fascinating. I forget mine when it's there. I regard it as a badge of pride that I'm bothering to take care of myself to such levels. It's a form of self care. Trouble is the info can get addictive. I'd told myself 2 a year, holiday and Christmas but I fee the need growing already...could get costlier than planned

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My few tries with a cgm do show me that bg goes up and down all night, just like it does in day time. The range may be less but the roller coaster is still there.

@lucylocket61 I think you'd find one fascinating. I forget mine when it's there. I regard it as a badge of pride that I'm bothering to take care of myself to such levels. It's a form of self care. Trouble is the info can get addictive. I'd told myself 2 a year, holiday and Christmas but I fee the need growing already...could get costlier than planned
Thank you. I thought they were unreliable at night, or is that a different device?

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
It's not so much that they are unreliable at night but people tend to get compression lows when they tend to put pressure on the sensor in the night there are ways to get round that I have taken to wearing my sensor on my chest area as I never sleep on my belly some others cover the sensor with something at night to keep pressure off it.

Reactions: lucylocket61

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I did show some lows at night when lying on that side, but I knew what they were and turned the alarms off. It was still interesting to see the rest of the night(s) ups and downs.
One night in particular was interesting. Up, awake and fasted dealing with a family mental health emergency. Libre exactly matched every contact with social services, rising alarmingly then subsiding eventually when I returned home to bed at 4 a.m.
Really showed the effect of stress.

Current reports of more a more Libre unit failures are concerning, but they do replace without argument or cost so you often end up with longer monitoring for less cost.
It will be interesting to see what happens when other competitors reach Libres price, which I am sure will happen. The Diabetes market place and potential is huge.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I reckon so, although I have not had nightmares for a long time, but I can remember the feeling of dread in the one where I was falling when I woke up.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Does nibble of fatty protein before lying down not helpful @lucylocket61?
I've resorted to keeping meter next to bed and in the past fatty protein to nibble before I rose to block those liver dumps. Liver dumps can occur even with an afternoon nap.
I'm too awake through the night with autistic son and his wet bed off/on. Night terrors triggered less now blocked winded is medicated. Even night is different. More stressful than others. He has good days and bad days, bless him.
I guess it's how I react to his problems make my stress worse. Tiredness and/or pain makes that job harder which I know you suffer with both.
My levels are very low and can be high but not as high with I was 9st heavier. I'm no longer using insulin but I'm flapping around levels wise. Hba1c was 59 last time with insulin. God knows now.
Stress cannot be avoided but relieved quicker in some occasions I guess. I'm my biggest critic on stress busting. Calmness is conjured then it happens. I'm human so by far from being perfect. I just try... try my best every day which is OK. I think many forget to accept their limitations. Everyone has them. Many professionally disguise their weaknesses and emphasis their stronger points. Myself I like to work on my weaknesses but in a measured way. I'm always looking for my next target but it's a one not always numerical.
Protein could be your answer in combating morning fbgs being higher than you feel comfortable with.
Please don't let this need stress you more. Maybe your putting too much pressure on yourself. If you relax it will reflect on your hba1c.
Any ideas for relaxation techniques that's good for YOU?

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I did show some lows at night when lying on that side, but I knew what they were and turned the alarms off. It was still interesting to see the rest of the night(s) ups and downs.
One night in particular was interesting. Up, awake and fasted dealing with a family mental health emergency. Libre exactly matched every contact with social services, rising alarmingly then subsiding eventually when I returned home to bed at 4 a.m.
Really showed the effect of stress.

Current reports of more a more Libre unit failures are concerning, but they do replace without argument or cost so you often end up with longer monitoring for less cost.
It will be interesting to see what happens when other competitors reach Libres price, which I am sure will happen. The Diabetes market place and potential is huge.
I tried one via the free trial and it failed almost immediately. They have promised to replace it. Fine for a free trial but it doesn't make me think I'd pay for it ever.

Only tried it because I am interested in what is happening to my BG overnight following repeated sweats and nightmares. There was absolutely no sensation when I put the thing on - taking the adhesive off my arm after the failure was more difficult.

siriusblack

I tried one via the free trial and it failed almost immediately. They have promised to replace it. Fine for a free trial but it doesn't make me think I'd pay for it ever.

Only tried it because I am interested in what is happening to my BG overnight following repeated sweats and nightmares. There was absolutely no sensation when I put the thing on - taking the adhesive off my arm after the failure was more difficult.

I completely understand this because after I first tried the Libre I gave up and have gone back and forth. But, I swear by it now. They can be faulty and it’s awful really but I’ve never had any issues with getting replacements and I’ve only ever had a little bit of discomfort from putting them on. I would stick it out, honestly, they get easier and make everything a thousand times more convenient when you can just tap your arm with your phone rather than the entire finger pricking process.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I completely understand this because after I first tried the Libre I gave up and have gone back and forth. But, I swear by it now. They can be faulty and it’s awful really but I’ve never had any issues with getting replacements and I’ve only ever had a little bit of discomfort from putting them on. I would stick it out, honestly, they get easier and make everything a thousand times more convenient when you can just tap your arm with your phone rather than the entire finger pricking process.
I get that - but as a T2 who's fingerprick readings are 4.7 more than 60% of the time, I don't need to pay £100/month to tell me what I already know from the test strips.

Besides, these days I'm only testing 6-8 times a week, rather than the 6-8 times a day as I did when first DX'd. What I don't know and can't find out by fingerpricking is what happens while I'm asleep, and a two week free Libre trial should give me some insight on that.