Wow! My pancreas is producing Insulin Again!

StewM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
StewM, vis-a-vis a gluten free diet: My Endo (whom I see for thyroid challenges, not diabetes) is keen on a gluten-free diet for those with auto-immune issues. At the time, I was having a while skip load of auto-immune related blood tests, including s coeliac panel, due to the quantum of AI issues in my family history.

My whole panel came back negative or inconclusive, but the Endo strongly recommended a GF diet because, "people with AI related conditions tend to do very well on it".

I have a telephone review in a couple of weeks, if I recall, I'll ask him about the case you cite.
Not a doctor, but I imagine the fact they've been unable to replicate the results of the single case study would give most Doctors pause about recommending anything on its basis. It's more an interesting anomaly at the moment, more than anything else.

The potential link between Coeliac and Diabetes is being studied by a number of Doctors at the moment, but I don't believe any significant findings have been made yet (unless I've missed something).

Bubbleblower

BANNED
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
My yearly Consultant review took place last month, face to face, and explaining all of the above he ordered another blood test and yesterday he told me that my Pancreas was indeed producing Insulin again!

How exactly can he tell?
And did you have antibodies?

I love to hear stories like this, great job, whatever you did.

Reactions: PeteN11

PeteN11

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
But Pete, didn't the hospital do a C peptide test in the first instance - that is usually what is definitive?
As far as I know yes they did. My next appointment will be in around 4 months time so I will be compiling a list of questions for then as I was just a tad taken aback when I was there the other day.

Last edited:

PeteN11

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How exactly can he tell?
And did you have antibodies?

I love to hear stories like this, great job, whatever you did.
Thanks for the encouragement.

When I had my yearly check I told him about the change of diet and how low my Insulin injections had gone. With me not needing any background insulin anymore he immediately suspected that I was producing some Insulin again and another blood test, c-peptide I presume, confirmed this.

PeteN11

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, interesting story, nice job helping yourself.

Just out of curiosity, why were they unable to get BS under 20 even with insulin? Even eating 225g of carb, insulin has to work? Surely? Isn’t it absolute that it will work? Sorry If I’m being thick
Firstly I have to say they all lived very hectic and somewhat chaotic lives with no time to sit and research for themselves.
They injected the amount of insulin in ratio to carbs that they were last told to. For one that was almost 2 years before as she had missed her last check and did not follow it up to get another.
If this did not bring their levels down to within normal range they did not consider changing it. They all needed a tad more help than what they were getting.
Having the dietician demand a higher carb intake than they were having wouldn't have helped either.:arghh:

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not a doctor, but I imagine the fact they've been unable to replicate the results of the single case study would give most Doctors pause about recommending anything on its basis. It's more an interesting anomaly at the moment, more than anything else.

The potential link between Coeliac and Diabetes is being studied by a number of Doctors at the moment, but I don't believe any significant findings have been made yet (unless I've missed something).

Both Coeliac and T1 are auto-immune (AI) conditions. It is a well known phenomenon that when one has one AI condition, often more follow, so a people experiencing both would not be too unusual, or unexpected.

KidDougi

As it has been explained to me, T2 can happens because of insulin resistant. This has the side effects of the pancreas overworking itself.
If this goes unchecked, would the pancreas give up and stop working? Therefore, would that then imply a T1 diagnosis?

If that is the case, would a low carb/keto diet give the pancreas a rest and possibly enough time to heal itself?

Just a thought experiment, would welcome any feedback from more qualified people. ‍♂️

Colhammo

What is the best test for finding out if low or no production of insulin from pancreas please? 12 yr old daughter recently diagnosed T1D but I’m not happy every avenue has been explored. Thanks

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
What is the best test for finding out if low or no production of insulin from pancreas please? 12 yr old daughter recently diagnosed T1D but I’m not happy every avenue has been explored. Thanks
C-peptide

LionChild

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
whisky
As it has been explained to me, T2 can happens because of insulin resistant. This has the side effects of the pancreas overworking itself.
If this goes unchecked, would the pancreas give up and stop working? Therefore, would that then imply a T1 diagnosis?

If that is the case, would a low carb/keto diet give the pancreas a rest and possibly enough time to heal itself?

Just a thought experiment, would welcome any feedback from more qualified people. ‍♂️

My understanding is you do not change diagnosis from Type 2 to Type 1. What can happen is a misdiagnosis. In either case, there is no actual cure, but if you have type 2, you can manage it by going low carb. This keeps your BG down and is good for your diabetes, as you will need less or even no insulin. But both Type 2s and Type 1s can have insulin. Type 1s have to have it. Type 2s might need it also, especially after they have had the condition for a number of years.

Medina27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Older people with type 1 tend to have a less aggressive form of the disease

I'm diagnosed in my 30s and can indeed do keto and bring my insulin down to extremely low levels

If you are in your 60s and type 1, then the autoimmune process will continue, albeit slower than if you were a child

If you are type 2, and in remission, then eating a gigantic cake without medicine would probably not likely raise your blood sugar as much as if you were a true type 1

I'm not advising you to try anything dangerous. But I would keep monitoring yourself and pay attention to what your body does

Stay safe

Last edited:
Reactions: PeteN11

PeteN11

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you are type 2, and in remission, then eating a gigantic cake without medicine would probably not likely raise your blood sugar as much as if you were a true type 1

I'm not advising you to try anything dangerous.
The other night and before reading your post so don't worry:D, I had a Pizza for the first time in over a year accompanied with a bucket of dry White wine:hungry:.

It took 4 injections over the evening and early morning totalling a staggering 95 units of Novo Rapid to get back into range.:eek: