Starting Metformin tomorrow!

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So tomorrow I am starting on met - 500mg in the morning initially to eventually build up to 2000mg a day. I’ve never had to take meds before and used to have really good control of my diet.

I’m back on track with my diet now and on keto which is going well and I’m in week 3.

Does anyone have any tips to share on how they avoided the side effects? Is there anything I need to know?

I’m hoping that this is a short term thing until I get my BG down then I can use diet to keep on track.

Thanks x

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Does anyone have any tips to share on how they avoided the side effects? Is there anything I need to know?
I took them for a couple of years both fast acting and the extended release before I stopped taking them

I did not have any of the side effects that many seem to have had on this forum, but the only tip I can give you is take them with food.

Reactions: Debmcgee

jessj

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It seems from reading the forum, lots of folk suffer side effects, some being far better on extended release, as @Riva_Roxaban said, also best taken with food. I was 'lucky', as I got ER straight off & thankfully didn't react. Hopefully you have those too & fingers crossed will be fine. Once you're back on track & have tamed the dragon again, you can carry on without. Good luck!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I tried everything I could to reduce the side effects of Metformin - including prayer and hysterical sobbing in weaker moments.
Nothing helped.

McHelen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So tomorrow I am starting on met - 500mg in the morning initially to eventually build up to 2000mg a day. I’ve never had to take meds before and used to have really good control of my diet.

I’m back on track with my diet now and on keto which is going well and I’m in week 3.

I’m hoping that this is a short term thing until I get my BG down then I can use diet to keep on track.

Thanks x
Snap, I took my first one today, so 2 weeks of 1 per day, 2 weeks of 2 per day and then 3 per day providing I tolerate them ok.

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Snap, I took my first one today, so 2 weeks of 1 per day, 2 weeks of 2 per day and then 3 per day providing I tolerate them ok.

They’re ramping me up faster than you - I increase weekly by 500mg a day. Been reading up about how it works so I don’t want to be on it for too long but we’ll see how I go…

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
They’re ramping me up faster than you - I increase weekly by 500mg a day. Been reading up about how it works so I don’t want to be on it for too long but we’ll see how I go…
It can suppress appetite and reduce liver dump so FBGs are lower. It helps reduce insulin resistance. The only times I have lost weight were when I was taking metformin, and the met tummy didn't last long for me.

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It can suppress appetite and reduce liver dump so FBGs are lower. It helps reduce insulin resistance. The only times I have lost weight were when I was taking metformin, and the met tummy didn't last long for me.

I’m about to take it!!! Not hungry so had to force breakfast down…x

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It seems from reading the forum, lots of folk suffer side effects, some being far better on extended release, as @Riva_Roxaban said, also best taken with food. I was 'lucky', as I got ER straight off & thankfully didn't react. Hopefully you have those too & fingers crossed will be fine. Once you're back on track & have tamed the dragon again, you can carry on without. Good luck!
Well… it is a common human trait to complain rather than praise. Just look at how many people complain about their banks on the web rather than those who have perfectly good service but don’t write about it

it skews the metrics, so looks worse than it is. There is a clear group on here who had bad issues with it. Which happens, don’t get me wrong and no one should put up with that. However the majority I suggest are fine with it. There is a reason it is so often prescribed and that’s because it generally is well tolerated (for the sake of balance I am aware it is also probably one of, if not the, cheapest T2 starter drug too). It also does have an impact, it can drop a couple percent (which is point drop, not a ratio reduction) which isn’t bad but a big mistake many doctors make is prescribing without explaining it doesn’t cure all, it needs dietary change too. For many and please browse, dietary change reduces the need for it for many and some come off altogether. It does support some improvements in general leaving some diabetics to continue a low dosage.

over a decade myself on slow release and no issues. My slight intolerance to normal as I recall wasn’t as significant as some report but it was better for me on slow release

Every drug has potential side effects. Metformin amongst them but remember, there are other diabetic drugs that have significantly worse

so yeah, don’t write off due to potential issues. But be aware and if you are unfortunately affected, make sure you get support and hopefully your medical team will be as supportive as mine have been

Last edited:
Reactions: Rachox and Debmcgee

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks! I’m reading the Diabetes Code which is very interesting x

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m about to take it!!! Not hungry so had to force breakfast down…x

Hi there, I don't know much about the workings of metformin but do you have to eat in order to take it, and will it not do its overall job if you don't eat and thus miss a dose?, (I think that makes sense). I just cannot see how it's productive being forced to eat something you don't want which probably raises your glucose levels, just in order to take a medication that is there to help keep those very same levels from rising!

klogs17

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My metformin dosage increase was the same as yours @Debmcgee. I was okay when I got up to 1x500 in the morning and 2x500 in the evening. I have tried to put up with the 2 in the morning but can’t. Nurse suggested having one with lunch but I’m not being tied to 3 meals a day for metformin. I was on Gliclazide for just over a week with the first metformin, on diagnosis, bringing my BG down from 18 to 5/6’s. Seems the bigger the meal with me, the less it affects my tummy. So yes from me to definitely take with food. Good luck.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi there, I don't know much about the workings of metformin but do you have to eat in order to take it, and will it not do its overall job if you don't eat and thus miss a dose?, (I think that makes sense). I just cannot see how it's productive being forced to eat something you don't want which probably raises your glucose levels, just in order to take a medication that is there to help keep those very same levels from rising!
I sometimes take mine without food or a small piece of cheese, I was prescribed in hospital by the consultant and he said the advice to eat with it was to help with the tummy problems if you have them. You don’t need to eat to make it work as it’s a cumulative build up drug so one dose does nothing just as missing one dose doesn’t change anything either. Eating something low carb with it such as an egg, a bit of cooked meat or cheese shouldn’t raise your blood sugar by much if at all

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So it’s been a week and I’m up to 2 pills now a day. I’ve noticed I haven’t slept properly since starting metformin - is that common? I’m shattered by 7pm and find it so hard to stay awake and it’s affecting my memory at work! Will it pass?!

Thanks

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m up to full dose as of today. I’ve also been fasting 18:6 which scored me a one off 9 but I’m hanging around 12. I’ve been amazing with keto and not slipped. Started apple cider bacon what last night which I will take three times a day.

I’ve noticed that taking metformin along with fasting is ok - it all erupts in the evening!!! I’m going to work towards one meal a day…not quite ready for it but that’s the latest short term goal.

jape

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been taking Metformin for more than 13 years. No side-effects at all. Also, I am not sure it does anything for me. I only take it, because my endocrinologist tells me it is a wonder drug and it is good for me?????

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m not convinced with metformin but willing to give it a go of it helps kick start my weight loss and blood sugar reduction…however I am unimpressed so far! Think I’d do better with extended fasting and let my body lead the way!