What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Looks delicious - please share the recipe - btw where did you get the silicon cases - I have been looking out for them :)

I bought mine from Lakeland. They are very useful and, if you want, they can go in the dishwasher.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Two slices of cheese on low carb toast, two hard boiled eggs for breakfast.
Tub of yoghurt, lemon cordial with my favourite **** mix in it for smoko.
Pork lion chops, mixed salad, last tub of pineapple jelly for lunch.
Jamie Oliver Pollack fish cakes for supper at six.

I have never heard of a Pollack fish before is that a UK name for by catch stuff?

It's really the same fish as pollock. The name depends on where you are and where it is caught. It's related to cod, but much more sustainable. I think the flesh is a bit off-white compared to cod. It is a deep sea fish rather than a river or estuary fish.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I bought mine from Lakeland. They are very useful and, if you want, they can go in the dishwasher.

Sorry - that's wrong. I bought them from Amazon. The rest is correct though. You also don't have to oil them - the bake just slips out easily.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Breakfast: 2 dry fried eggs and a slice of wholemeal toast - about 15 g carb.

2nd meal will be: smoked haddock with leeks and maybe some hard boiled egg to go with it. Didn't bother cooking yesterday evening, after all, so I didn't have my Asian style fish. I will do the haddock today because it is sitting there on the counter, defrosting, so it will have to be cooked. Eating it is another matter, of course.

I ordered (I thought) a box of Bassatts Allsorts from Amazon for the children at Christmas. Obviously didn't notice the price because what arrived today was 6 boxes in a bigger box!:facepalm: Have to think about what to do with the other 5 boxes.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast just coffee - was hungry when woke up -unusually - but was busy first thing making homemade low carb bread rolls and hunger went away until nearer lunchtime when the rolls were baking in the oven and smelling very tempting! Nothing like the smell of homemade bread - even the low carb variety!
Lunch scrambled eggs with lc hm roll followed by a few nuts, yoghurt and two squares of 90% chocolate
Mid pm DGF blondie with mug of weak black tea.
Dinner two lamb loin chops with cauliflower cheese and glass of soda water with dash of dry white wine followed by DGF lc brownie heated up and served with cream

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee. I’m putting a teaspoon of psyllium husk powder instead of the suggested pinch in my porridge, this is to make up for the lack of fibre currently in my diet plus constipation from iron tablets. I still have a small hole from my recent tooth extraction so can’t eat my chia seeds or LC granola as the little pieces might get stuck in my socket! The chia seeds actually have to be gone permanently as I need to keep oxalates in my diet low due to kidney stone risk. I need to work out how much oxalate is in the commercially made LC granola too as it has nuts some of which are high oxalate :banghead:
Late morning: black coffee and Phd bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and an Atkins bar.
Dinner: pork and apple stuffed chicken with a splash of gravy, Brussels, broccoli, cauliflower and a couple of baby carrots followed by SF jelly and cream.

Edit for clarity and to confirm my granola is high oxalate :(

Last edited:

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Busy day today so simple quick food
11 :30 3 eggs scrambled with ham. Plain ff greek yoghurt.
17:30 frittata with ham and broccoli and leftover carrots stirred through. Side salad. 1 sq lc choc cake and cream.
20:00 30g cheese crisps and 1 glass white wine.

MommaE

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Breakfast just coffee - was hungry when woke up -unusually - but was busy first thing making homemade low carb bread rolls and hunger went away until nearer lunchtime when the rolls were baking in the oven and smelling very tempting! Nothing like the smell of homemade bread - even the low carb variety!
Lunch scrambled eggs with lc hm roll followed by a few nuts, yoghurt and two squares of 90% chocolate
Mid pm DGF blondie with mug of weak black tea.
Dinner two lamb loin chops with cauliflower cheese and glass of soda water with dash of dry white wine followed by DGF lc brownie heated up and served with cream
Would you mind sharing your bread recipe please?

Reactions: Antje77

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Breakfast: is going to have to be eggs again. Nothing else available apart from a few veggies which will take too much effort to make into anything.

2nd meal: I've taken some pork out of the freezer and it will defrost by the time I need it. Also took some chicken livers out of the freezer for tomorrow's breakfast. I'll use some of the veggies to go with the pork later today, if I can be bothered. Very tired today, after another bad night.

Reactions: maglil55

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
BC1890FA-BD5D-4C4E-A1B6-18098CD94951.jpeg
Would you mind sharing your bread recipe please?
Here it is... NB it does include Gluten and not everyone tolerates gluten - Im lucky in that I can. Its high protein bread which suits me and dosen't put up my bgs. NB you need to use Oat Fibre NOT oats or oat flour. Oat Fibre s 0g of carbs. You may need to vary the liquid quantities -I find that depending on the temperatures it does take different amounts - Key is to make sure all fibre has been incorparated and that dough is a bit sticky and elastic - very like 'traditional' dough.

Low carb bread using vital wheat gluten and inulin to ‘feed’ the yeast for one large or two small loaves

I used a stand mixer to knead the bread mixture. Carb content of the whole mixture is 15g per loaf – I managed to slice the loaf into 25 reasonable size slices which worked out as 0.8g per slice.

Yeast starter - Start 30 -40 mins before making the bread

Three cups of warm water – two tablespoon of inulin dissolved in the warm water

15g (3 teaspoons) of dried yeast (traditional – not fast acting) sprinkled on the water and cover with cling film or similar.

Should quickly form a froth - if warm place may be in 20 mins but cooler places can take up to 40 mins.

While the yeast is proving

Whisk three room temperature eggs and dissolve salt into a further cup of warm water and put both to one side.

In a mixer bowl add:

150g of oat fibre

70g of psyllium husk the fibre variety not the powdered one (NB make sure that it is the Blond variety as some can turn the bread purple!)

170g of vital wheat gluten

Mix the dry ingredients and then add the proven yeast mix in a well in middle of the mixture and let it stand for about 5 mins. Then turn mixer on and slowly add the proven yeast starter and finally the beaten eggs followed by the extra cup of warm water with salt. Knead for at least 10 mins until mixed and stretchy. Add more water if needed. I kneaded for 15 mins in total at different speeds.

Prepare a buttered silicone sheet on a baking tray. Add the dough to the sheet shapd into a loaf shape or two small loaves and cover with buttered Clingfilm (or reusable silicone sheet) and tea towel. Leave until doubled in size this can take 1 – 2 hours depending on how warm it is.

Meanwhile heat oven to 180 fan.

Bake for 60 mins, and then tip out of tin and put back in oven for 10 – 15 mins to finish off. (Cooking time 70 mins in total plus possible extra 5mins to dry out base.

And the rolls: (this makes 10 rolls)

Low carb bread rolls using vital wheat gluten and inulin to ‘feed’ the yeast

I used a stand mixer to knead the bread mixture.

Carb content of the whole mixture is 9 g so if 10 rolls is 0.9g per roll.

Three cups of warm water – two tablespoons of inulin dissolved in the warm water (will be using a further cup of water see later)

2 and a half teaspoons of dried yeast (traditional – not fast acting) sprinkled on the water and cover with cling film or similar.

Should quickly form a froth - if warm place may be in 20 mins but cooler places can take up to 40 mins.

Whisk two room temperature eggs and dissolve teaspoon salt into a further cup of warm water and put both to one side.

In a mixer bowl add:

130g of oat fibre

70g of psyllium husk the fibre variety not the powdered one (NB make sure that it is the Blond variety as some can turn the bread purple!)

110g of vital wheat gluten

Mix the dry ingredients and make a well in the middle. Then add the beaten egg and the proven yeast mix into the well in middle of the mixture and let it stand for about 10 mins. Then turn mixer on and slowly knead until mixed followed by the extra cup of warm water with salt to make it into fairly sticky dough. Make sure that all oat fibre mixed in - it can clump on the outside of the dough ball! Knead for at least 10 mins until mixed and stretchy. I kneaded for 15 mins in total at different speeds.

Prepare a buttered silicone sheet on a baking sheet. Add the dough to the sheet and split into 10 lumps each weighing around 120 g , shaping each into a roll shape and cover with buttered Clingfilm (or reusable silicone sheet) or a clean tea towel. Leave until doubled in size this can take about 1 and a half hours- depending on how warm it is.

Meanwhile heat oven to 190 fan or equivalent.

Bake for 40 mins then check bottoms of rolls – they should sound hallow – then turn upside down and put back in to finish off for 10 min

Last edited:

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Lunch hm lc roll with smoked salmon pate with a few nuts and three squares of 90% chocolate
Dinner game casserole with roast celeriac and small glass of red wine followed by lc brownie
Cooked game casserole in slow cooker all day tasted lovely think will be ordering more mixed game meat while it’s in season.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Brunch - 2 boiled eggs mashed up in a cup with melted butter and pepper. 1 dgf lemon & white chocolate cookie. Mug of earl grey tea

Dinner - roast beef, a little carrot, green beans, broccoli & cauliflower cheese. 1 dgf ginger & dark chocolate brownie with double cream poured over the top.

MommaE

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
View attachment 52125
Here it is... NB it does include Gluten and not everyone tolerates gluten - Im lucky in that I can. Its high protein bread which suits me and dosen't put up my bgs. NB you need to use Oat Fibre NOT oats or oat flour. Oat Fibre s 0g of carbs. You may need to vary the liquid quantities -I find that depending on the temperatures it does take different amounts - Key is to make sure all fibre has been incorparated and that dough is a bit sticky and elastic - very like 'traditional' dough.

Low carb bread using vital wheat gluten and inulin to ‘feed’ the yeast for one large or two small loaves

I used a stand mixer to knead the bread mixture. Carb content of the whole mixture is 15g per loaf – I managed to slice the loaf into 25 reasonable size slices which worked out as 0.8g per slice.

Three cups of warm water – two tablespoon of inulin dissolved in the warm water

15g (3 teaspoons) of dried yeast (traditional – not fast acting) sprinkled on the water and cover with cling film or similar.

Whisk three room temperature eggs and dissolve salt into a further cup of warm water and put both to one side.

In a mixer bowl add:

150g of oat fibre

170g of vital wheat gluten

Mix the dry ingredients and then add the proven yeast mix in a well in middle of the mixture and let it stand for about 5 mins. Then turn mixer on and slowly add the proven yeast starter and finally the beaten eggs followed by the extra cup of warm water with salt. Knead for at least 10 mins until mixed and stretchy. Add more water if needed. I kneaded for 15 mins in total at different speeds.

Prepare a buttered silicone sheet on a baking tray. Add the dough to the sheet shapd into a loaf shape or two small loaves and cover with buttered Clingfilm (or reusable silicone sheet) and tea towel. Leave until doubled in size this can take 1 – 2 hours depending on how warm it is.

Meanwhile heat oven to 180 fan.

Bake for 60 mins, and then tip out of tin and put back in oven for 10 – 15 mins to finish off. (Cooking time 70 mins in total plus possible extra 5mins to dry out base.

And the rolls: (this makes 10 rolls)

Low carb bread rolls using vital wheat gluten and inulin to ‘feed’ the yeast

I used a stand mixer to knead the bread mixture.

Carb content of the whole mixture is 9 g so if 10 rolls is 0.9g per roll.

Three cups of warm water – two tablespoons of inulin dissolved in the warm water (will be using a further cup of water see later)

2 and a half teaspoons of dried yeast (traditional – not fast acting) sprinkled on the water and cover with cling film or similar.

Whisk two room temperature eggs and dissolve teaspoon salt into a further cup of warm water and put both to one side.

In a mixer bowl add:

130g of oat fibre

110g of vital wheat gluten

Mix the dry ingredients and make a well in the middle. Then add the beaten egg and the proven yeast mix into the well in middle of the mixture and let it stand for about 10 mins. Then turn mixer on and slowly knead until mixed followed by the extra cup of warm water with salt to make it into fairly sticky dough. Make sure that all oat fibre mixed in - it can clump on the outside of the dough ball! Knead for at least 10 mins until mixed and stretchy. I kneaded for 15 mins in total at different speeds.

Prepare a buttered silicone sheet on a baking sheet. Add the dough to the sheet and split into 10 lumps each weighing around 120 g , shaping each into a roll shape and cover with buttered Clingfilm (or reusable silicone sheet) or a clean tea towel. Leave until doubled in size this can take about 1 and a half hours- depending on how warm it is.

Meanwhile heat oven to 190 fan or equivalent.

Bake for 40 mins then check bottoms of rolls – they should sound hallow – then turn upside down and put back in to finish off for 10 min
Thanks you very much for doing that, I appreciate it. I’ll give it a try once this snow stops and I can go look for oat fibre.

Reactions: Antje77

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and a peanut phd bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and an Atkins bar
Dinner: cheesy scrambled eggs with fried chopped mushrooms and baby tomatoes followed by SF jelly and cream.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Now I'm a bit sad this bread sounds too complicated for me, purple bread would make me very happy!

I finally did the finishing touches to the guinea pig pen in my living room today (one of the piggies needed to move inside so I needed a pen), and I spent two hours on the phone trying to find out how to get the right prescription to the right pharmacy :facepalm:.

Long story short, no cooking day again, but I found some tuna melt batter mixed with leek in the freezer! Seeing as that's protein and veggies in one dish I simply added two eggs and baked 8 cup cake sized 'muffins' of which I ate 6 (where's the thing for normal sized muffins???) and called it a meal :)

Picture of my new pen because it makes me so happy the old guinea pig can stay inside now!

256793911_10224653165390894_8033074252580516830_n.jpg

Reactions: maglil55

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Three bbq sausages, two egg and cheese and chopped up chives omelette, button mushrooms for breakfast.
Tub of yoghurt, lemon cordial mix for smoko.
Tiger prawns and a mixed salad for lunch.
Half of a small local calypso mango, two small spoonfuls of lemon / lime sorbet for supper at six.

Plumber fixed the leaking tap in the kitchen, she replaced it with a new mixer tap.