New person

Nigel1956

Hello all diabetics.im taking 3 types of medicine for diabetes. Question I would like to ask is can I ask my doctor to put me on insulin ?

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi and welcome. Are you T2? What medication are you on?

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Welcome to the forum @Nigel1956
Why do you want to use insulin? Are you struggling to manage your diabetes?
If you want to tell us a bit more about yourself, the wonderful forum members maybe able to assist and, maybe, provide alternative suggestions.

Reactions: Antje77

Nigel1956

Welcome to the forum @Nigel1956
Why do you want to use insulin? Are you struggling to manage your diabetes?
If you want to tell us a bit more about yourself, the wonderful forum members maybe able to assist and, maybe, provide alternative suggestions.
Yes. I'm struggling to manage my diabetes.so wish to call my doctor and ask for insulin

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes. I'm struggling to manage my diabetes.so wish to call my doctor and ask for insulin
If you are not deficient in insulin it wouldn't help very much to start to inject more.
If you are a type two it might be that you are simply eating more carbohydrate than you can cope with even with the medication.
Have you been told that you are not making insulin?

Sammy99

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello all diabetics.im taking 3 types of medicine for diabetes. Question I would like to ask is can I ask my doctor to put me on insulin ?
Hi Nigel I’m a t2 also and am taking 4 types of meds and my sugar readings are bad at all times for today after fasting since 7pm yesterday and eating very low carbs my reading was 9.1 mmol what are your readings?

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Welcome to the forum @Sammy99
If you give us a little more information about your medication and what your diet usually looks like we might be able to come up with some useful suggestions

Sammy99

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Welcome to the forum @Sammy99
If you give us a little more information about your medication and what your diet usually looks like we might be able to come up with some useful suggestions
Thanks I posted a new thread with as much info as I could think of as I didn’t want to hijack this persons thread

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs

You can ask your doctor to put you on insulin, but it is very much a last line of treatment for T2s, and he may or may not agree to do it. Some people find it helps a lot, but others don't. In your position I'd really want to know whether my problem was insulin resistance (as in already producing lots of insulin but it just isn't working well) or whether my pancreas was starting to fail (long term T2s can start to produce less insulin).

Insulin has its own issues (blood tests, hypos etc) and is not a magic bullet for T2 control. (My US cousin and his wife, both T2, are both on it. He finds it very helpful, she struggles with highs and lows.)

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome to the forum :)

As people have said it would be helpful to have more information. There are a number of types of diabetes and also a number of ways people approach it.

For example- I am a type 2 diabetic. I am in my 50s and overweight. Those factors pretty much indicate type 2. As a type 2 my body produces insulin but I have become insulin resistant which means my body isn't using the insulin as well as it should. The approach I took was to go very low carb. I took this action as I want to avoid becoming more insulin resistant and aiming to become less resistant. By going low carb I have reduced the insulin needed. That is the approach I took. There are other approaches that people take.

I was able to take my approach as I wasn't on any medication so there was no risk to me going low carb- that's why people are interested in whether you are on any medication. They need to know so that they don't suggest anything that could be harmful.

I am assuming you are a type 2 if you are not already on insulin but I can't make that assumption before making suggestions.

Secondly people want to look at what you have already tried. I have gone very low carb and if that stops being sufficient I may need to go on insulin. People are interested in what you are trying and what challenges you face.

The forum has a lot of people willing to help and give advice and many of them suffer with other medical conditions and so may be able to suggest things you haven't thought of.

Anyway- welcome to the forum and I hope that we can help you deal with your condition in a way that is helpful to you.

Reactions: EllieM