Starting over following Covid

Tannith

BANNED
Hi all

Long story short - I was in emission from t2 but have let things go. Got covid, got BG tested and it was 26! Went to hospital, now on antibiotics and have vowed to sort my life out.

Todays reading before food was 14.6. Still high but better than 26…I’ve gone back to low carb/keto but it’s very early days.

How long is reasonable to expect for my BG to come down? I’m on Day 9 of covid and I’m wondering how high people’s BG has gone when battling covid and how long after getting better did it take to regain BG control?

I’m trying hard not to be paranoid that my pancreas has given up after having let things go for two years…doctor wants me to have HBA1c as soon as I’m out of isolation but isn’t too concerned at this stage. I know I need to be patient too but I just can’t stop thinking about the possible damage I’ve done through my stupidity.

I suppose I’m looking for you lovely lot to offer some assurance x
Sorry to hear about the covid. I'm sure once you are over it your BGs will return to pre covid levels. But what were those - compared to 2 years previously when you were on keto? How long did you do keto for? And how long after you stopped keto did your BGs go back up again? How long do people usually have to do keto for, in order to get into remission so they are able to et normally again?

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry to hear about the covid. I'm sure once you are over it your BGs will return to pre covid levels. But what were those - compared to 2 years previously when you were on keto? How long did you do keto for? And how long after you stopped keto did your BGs go back up again? How long do people usually have to do keto for, in order to get into remission so they are able to et normally again?

See this is the thing. Like most I started off GI then LCHF but that wasn’t enough so I went on keto. It worked within a few months to bring me down to pre diabetic levels. I stayed on strict keto and for a year I was the healthiest I’ve ever been - I was fasting too and did a lot of extended fasts with my longest being ten days. Then I met my boyfriend and things started to slide…then other stuff in my life happened and it all got too much so I went back to old ways. I stopped testing and I didn’t get any appointments for diabetes reviews so I put my head in the clouds.

Luckily the covid struck and I had a BG test which was 26!!! I used to freak if I got a 6. HUGE wake up call and I’m glad as I have a second chance. I just hope it doesn’t take too long.

Keto is definitely a way of life and I am at my best when on it. I have a renewed focus and this time I won’t let life overwhelm me so much where I self sabotage again.

Reactions: lucylocket61

Tannith

BANNED
See this is the thing. Like most I started off GI then LCHF but that wasn’t enough so I went on keto. It worked within a few months to bring me down to pre diabetic levels. I stayed on strict keto and for a year I was the healthiest I’ve ever been - I was fasting too and did a lot of extended fasts with my longest being ten days. Then I met my boyfriend and things started to slide…then other stuff in my life happened and it all got too much so I went back to old ways. I stopped testing and I didn’t get any appointments for diabetes reviews so I put my head in the clouds.

Luckily the covid struck and I had a BG test which was 26!!! I used to freak if I got a 6. HUGE wake up call and I’m glad as I have a second chance. I just hope it doesn’t take too long.

Keto is definitely a way of life and I am at my best when on it. I have a renewed focus and this time I won’t let life overwhelm me so much where I self sabotage again.
Thank you for your reply. I wish you all the very best with your renewed keto diet.

Reactions: EllieM and Debmcgee

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @Tannith! I’m disgusted with myself but no sense in looking back - onwards and upwards. I just hope I’m not too late…

Reactions: Tannith

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve had a couple of 10s now but not in the morning - thank you DP but that’s beyond my control so I’m not focusing on that. I was really tempted to weigh in today but didn’t as I don’t need another number to stress over. I was also tempted to measure my arms, legs, busy, waist as my daughter asked me to do her but again, I don’t wanna obsess so I’ll stick with BG now.

So it’s coming towards the end of week 5 of strict keto. I’ve done really well and not slipped at all except for pinching the odd chip on a couple of occasions. On 3 metformin tablets a day since Thursday and I’ve done two 18:6 fasts which have been fine.

Today I have a headache though - could be stress or could just be lack of water but other than that it’s been ok. Had to be close to a toilet - especially when walking in the evening - so have learned to schedule activity BEFORE I eat or take the metformin.

I’ve been reading up a lot about fasting to remind myself again - I think it’s sounding more beneficial than medication but I’m going to continue as I am until I’ve had a month of slow release met to see how that goes. Not sure when I’ll get the new script but it must be soonish.

I’m going to use this as an accountability place so I don’t fall off the wagon now. I’ve been researching keto snacks but haven’t needed any (definitely have wanted but refrained on most occasions!). Work is usually the biggest challenge but I’ve done well ignoring the sweet treats on offer and a parent gave me a thank you box of chocs which I have quickly passed on to a friend

Reactions: zand

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Forgot to add that I scored a 9! I mean that was during a fast but still - single figure! Not had one since though…

Reactions: zand

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Have managed to intermittently fast all week. It’s been pretty ok except for me getting a bit light headed at 11.30 so I had an early lunch. I can’t believe how well I’ve stuck to keto. And I’ve started having 2 pints of apple cider vinegar drink to help decrease my cramps. I doubt electrolytes are my issue as I add pink salt to everything and take magnesium malate before bed. Sleep has been awful again - I am suspecting it’s the metformin…

Have been ok with fasting and taking the metformin so far but not sure how I’d fare with an extended fast but I’ll build up to it.

Trying to work out what Xmas will look like for us this year…

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So today I had an ultrasound to look at the liver. My liver is fatty and I am officially the owner of gallstones. I’m really annoyed but I guess that’s what happens when you eat rubbish for two years.

So off I go to research how to tackle both. If anyone has any tips to share, I’m all ears x

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Today I have managed to fast for 23 hours! Will take BG later and see where that’s at. I’ve had a break for a few days so it will be interesting to see if there’s been a drop…

Reactions: marathonmona

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve managed another couple of one meal a days and have to say the metformin with fasting works fine. What is not fine is what happens during refeed and taking the tablets!

I have a call with the doctor next week to find out more about gallstones…

I think I’m losing weight but am not doing the scales as I’ll obsess over the numbers. BG is currently stuck on 9 but two months ago it was 26 so I’ll take that as a win although I wish it was lower…

Reactions: StuartFP