Tinnitus and blocked ears

Sharrryn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Does anyone deal with tinnitus and having blocked ears feeling ?? I’ve had mild tinnitus for years but last few days it’s really bad first thing in the morning hear buzzing and feels blocked up. It has coincided with starting an antidepressant (mirtazapine ) but even when I skipped a dose the full ear feeling is still there. It’s worse in the morning and eases up by the end of the day usually. I did read once tinnitus is more common in diabetics. Any experiences ??

Last edited:

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, antidepressants tend to take weeks for side effects, head aches etc etc to calm down, if you have only been taking them a short time it could be that? Missing one dose probly wouldn’t be enough to see if it was the meds, if I remember right, after two weeks of side effects not improving, you have to see doctor for advice but they do expect side effects.

There are techniques to not focus on tinnitus, you can buy these little white boxes that make restful sounds, (not sure what they are called sorry) meditation can help, my daughter finds the sound of a fan at night helps, I think you have to find a way to try and ignore it.

It could be a head cold sinus thing lurking. My other daughter has just had an ear infection and she suffered tinnitus for the first time.

I hope you get a useful answer, best of luck.

Reactions: Sharrryn

Sharrryn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, antidepressants tend to take weeks for side effects, head aches etc etc to calm down, if you have only been taking them a short time it could be that? Missing one dose probly wouldn’t be enough to see if it was the meds, if I remember right, after two weeks of side effects not improving, you have to see doctor for advice but they do expect side effects.

There are techniques to not focus on tinnitus, you can buy these little white boxes that make restful sounds, (not sure what they are called sorry) meditation can help, my daughter finds the sound of a fan at night helps, I think you have to find a way to try and ignore it.

It could be a head cold sinus thing lurking. My other daughter has just had an ear infection and she suffered tinnitus for the first time.

I hope you get a useful answer, best of luck.

Sharrryn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you . Yes it may or may not be the antidepressant or a side effect that will settle . I’ve only been on them a week. I’ll see my doctor if things haven’t improved in a few days.

Retanna

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Avocado
Hi,

I have had Tinnitus for years now, I went into bad depression 10 years ago whilst having Tinnitus and was prescribed Mirtazapine for it, was on that drug for about 12 months or so and it made no difference to the Tinnitus, been off it it now for the last 8/9 years and Tinnitus remained the same so from my experience I don't think Mirtazapine makes it worse.
Had to laugh though the first thing they did was give me a hearing aid!! That was worse than the Tinnitus lol and have never worn it.
The one thing I got prescribed with at the same time as T2 Diabetes was Hypertension. Since taking blood pressure tablets I would say that the Tinnitus has dropped a little. May be worth making sure your BP is normal.

• Agree
Reactions: Lainie71

Retanna

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Avocado
Can you still manage to have a normal sleep or do you use some white noise maybe?
During the day my ringing is still bearable, but nights are very bad
I generally have no problem getting to sleep as I listen to the radio with a timer. Sadly sometimes when I wake in the early hours I sometimes find it hard to get back to sleep because of the noise but just live with that as I have n or know of no alternative without chemical help and I don't want that fuzzy feeling in the morning.