How quick does BG come down with drastic diet change ?

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’ve had a scare at the doctors - after a dreadful year and losing my lovely dad in Feb my diabetes has been ignored. My HBA1c has just come out in the 90s and I’ve got a huge range of symptoms - mainly very painful toes and balls of the feet.

I’ve joined a slimming club and my diet is very healthy now however my readings are still very high despite reducing carbs and practically cutting out sugar.

My question is how long will it take for my blood sugars to come down ? I’ve only been on the diet a week

Z_e_u_s

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve had a scare at the doctors - after a dreadful year and losing my lovely dad in Feb my diabetes has been ignored. My HBA1c has just come out in the 90s and I’ve got a huge range of symptoms - mainly very painful toes and balls of the feet.

I’ve joined a slimming club and my diet is very healthy now however my readings are still very high despite reducing carbs and practically cutting out sugar.

My question is how long will it take for my blood sugars to come down ? I’ve only been on the diet a week

I guess no two people are the same so don't be discouraged if you don't get the results you hope based on other people's experiences.

I too was in the 90's at diagnosis; a week later it went down to 82 (I cut down ALL sugar and refined carbs).
Two months later dropped further to 50 and 8 months after diagnosis to a healthy 34 (currently sits at 32).

With diet changes results will come..sooner or later; just be consistent and know you will get there.

It takes will power at first then it becomes a new routine.

By the way no medication..just a lot of walking ;)

Reactions: mansingh01

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just a word of caution. Slimming clubs are in no way qualified to advise T2 on diet. I would check back here to be sure.

If you are using a meter to check your levels before and after eating, it will give you an independent verdict on what you just ate.

Reactions: JinnyG

McHelen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Hi there, are you on any medication or diet alone?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Your glucose levels would have reduced a few hours after your first low carb meal.
It could have been a bit of a shock to the system and there might have been a few false hypos as levels reduced - but that is the usual thing to expect.
Is your slimming club organiser panicking about your food choices? Usually they go all faint when a diet suitable for glucose lowering is described.
Are you taking anything likely to cause hypos? Lowering carbs can be problematic if you are.