Insulin allergy

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people, corrupt politicians, poverty, happy pharmaceutical ads;
Is there a good test for insulin allergy?

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Do you mean our own or injected?
Humulin N ( I think that means human or synthetic?). I have read that the old ones, from animals were commonly allergenic..
Which one is "yours"?

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Humulin N ( I think that means human or synthetic?). I have read that the old ones, from animals were commonly allergenic..
Which one is "yours"?
By 'yours' I mean the insulin some of us produce ourselves. Our bodies can become allergic to our own parts and fluids etc, cant they. I may have misunderstood you completely, sorry. Are you a type 2 who has to inject insulin?

Reactions: Antje77

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Type 2 for 15 yrs. or so; on insulin for 2.5 yrs. I don't know if my pancreas is still producing insulin at some fraction; certiainly the 41 yr. lithium did a number on my thyroid, kidneys, and maybe pancreas; but I don't know what number :- Too many circumstances to figure it out for me; coincidence with vaccine in 2018, but just coincidence; variable increase of lithium for too long (but I love lithium, just got progressively intolerant to it).

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Which one is "yours"?

As far as I’m aware, there’s only one UK company? That sells animal insulin which is Hypurin, the rest is synthetic insulin/ human insulin

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Is there a good test for insulin allergy?
Why are you asking?
If you think you are experiencing insulin allergy, can you describe your symptoms?

Some people react to different injected insulins with soreness. And I think many years ago, I read about someone allergic to injected insulin but I think this is incredibly rare and diagnosed after many different insulins were tried rather than a specific test.

jonathan183

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Reaction to insulin is possible, some insulins are more likely to induce a reaction than others. I'm sure I have either read or watch a video where Dr Bernstein outlines desensitising patients to insulin by starting with very dilute concentrations and increasing them. I suspect the standard approach is to try another insulin to see if it resolves the issue. You will need to talk to your medical support team in order to resolve the issue.

Ed: video here about 31 minutes in

Last edited:

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Why are you asking?
If you think you are experiencing insulin allergy, can you describe your symptoms?

Some people react to different injected insulins with soreness. And I think many years ago, I read about someone allergic to injected insulin but I think this is incredibly rare and diagnosed after many different insulins were tried rather than a specific test.

Tingling, tremor, swelling of soft tissues in mouth, difficulty swallowing, itchiness, sore muscles, esp. top of legs;
but preceding to those symptoms: knee injury, crush muscle injury?, lithium discontinuation before and after tremor but less after;; innner tremor (not visible), antihypertensive/lithium interaction crisis, probably stroke leading to ER reduction of lithium in half; reinstating increased tremor; also taking glyclazide, metformin, Synthroid, and clonazepam.

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
As far as I’m aware, there’s only one UK company? That sells animal insulin which is Hypurin, the rest is synthetic insulin/ human insulin

Thanks. I have not checked U.S. or Canada, but I vaguely recall reading an American article on this.

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Reaction to insulin is possible, some insulins are more likely to induce a reaction than others. I'm sure I have either read or watch a video where Dr Bernstein outlines desensitising patients to insulin by starting with very dilute concentrations and increasing them. I suspect the standard approach is to try another insulin to see if it resolves the issue. You will need to talk to your medical support team in order to resolve the issue.

Yup. I'm just getting a bit weary with my life as a human guinea pig.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Tingling, tremor, swelling of soft tissues in mouth, difficulty swallowing, itchiness, sore muscles, esp. top of legs;
but preceding to those symptoms: knee injury, crush muscle injury?, lithium discontinuation before and after tremor but less after;; innner tremor (not visible), antihypertensive/lithium interaction crisis, probably stroke leading to ER reduction of lithium in half; reinstating increased tremor; also taking glyclazide, metformin, Synthroid, and clonazepam.
Have you tried a different insulin?
And are you sure the cause is insulin? I don’t understand how insulin would cause a knee injury.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am finding it hard to understand your sentences. Can you type as if I know nothing, filling in the gaps. I cant understand how a knee injury can be an allergic reaction, or where the lithium fits in. Perhaps there is more information which is missing in your sentences? You appear to be posting as if you are note taking, but we dont know the background or things around your points.

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I am finding it hard to understand your sentences. Can you type as if I know nothing, filling in the gaps. I cant understand how a knee injury can be an allergic reaction, or where the lithium fits in. Perhaps there is more information which is missing in your sentences? You appear to be posting as if you are note taking, but we dont know the background or things around your points.

Sorry. I will try to be clearer:
In the past few years I have developed symptoms which may or may not be a sign of allergy.
As the cause of allergies is difficult to find, I can only go back to incidents, medications, or drug interaction adverse effects to maybe find a link. So, here are some possibilities:

- lithium toxicity, improved upon discontinuation
- diabetic neuropathy
- adverse interaction between antihypertensives and lithium taken together
- lithium and beta blocker adverse reaction (resembling anaphylaxis or stroke, e.g.
burning feet, burning sensation travelling to heart or chest, one month is bed from fatigue,
severe headache, numbness in left hand, memory problems, trouble walking, tremor;
-improvement within 3 months with tremor remaining;
-knee fall and sore muscles slowly recovering, but the tingling/tremor in upper legs may be from an allergy
- flu vaccine in 2018, post tremor

-Too much information?

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry. I will try to be clearer:
In the past few years I have developed symptoms which may or may not be a sign of allergy.
As the cause of allergies is difficult to find, I can only go back to incidents, medications, or drug interaction adverse effects to maybe find a link. So, here are some possibilities:

- lithium toxicity, improved upon discontinuation
- diabetic neuropathy
- adverse interaction between antihypertensives and lithium taken together
- lithium and beta blocker adverse reaction (resembling anaphylaxis or stroke, e.g.
burning feet, burning sensation travelling to heart or chest, one month is bed from fatigue,
severe headache, numbness in left hand, memory problems, trouble walking, tremor;
-improvement within 3 months with tremor remaining;
-knee fall and sore muscles slowly recovering, but the tingling/tremor in upper legs may be from an allergy
- flu vaccine in 2018, post tremor

-Too much information?
Thank you, I can understand better now. There are a lot of variables there. There could be several things happening at once. What has your medical team said, or your pharmacist, about adverse medical interactions?

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thank you, I can understand better now. There are a lot of variables there. There could be several things happening at once. What has your medical team said, or your pharmacist, about adverse medical interactions?

I have an upcoming appointment soon with a GP. I don't blame any health professionals as they too are human during a pandemic. However, I regret that the tremor thingy could have been monitored as it happened prior to the pandemic. Life is full of challenges.

Reactions: JudyLee