Snootygator

Hi I'm new to group. I was diagnosed with type 2 just under a year ago and really struggled. I've been given very little info from the medics. If you could give me one piece of advice on living with diabetes what would it be?

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Avoid cereals. Either eat a high protein breakfast such as omelette, bacon and mushrooms or just have a coffee with cream?

If you can't face a cooked breakfast (I can't) I make up a low carb porridge with milled flaxseed and chia seeds - 2 heaped spoons flaxseed to a flat spoon of chia, add a little oatmeal bran if wanted plus some seeds and chopped nuts, flavour with cinnamon and serve with double cream.

BoringBrian

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Housework
Hi I'm new to group. I was diagnosed with type 2 just under a year ago and really struggled. I've been given very little info from the medics. If you could give me one piece of advice on living with diabetes what would it be?
Follow the dietary advice given on this forum, not the NHS Eatwell plate. You will need to embrace a lifestyle change, which takes a bit of getting used to, but the benefits are huge.
Everyone is here to help you, good luck.

Doug53

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Noisey kids (I've got 2 of them).
I was told to keep my blood sugar level between 4 and 8 also to check my sugar level twice a day lastly to drink 2 litres of water a day at least. Blood test every 6 months.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I was told to keep my blood sugar level between 4 and 8 also to check my sugar level twice a day lastly to drink 2 litres of water a day at least. Blood test every 6 months.
That's generally good advice but the 2 litres a day won't do any harm but the figure was plucked from thin air by someone in the USA so just be sensible with drinking.