What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

garyclark82

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A nasty 7.1 (accompanied by a 36 hour long headache) but down to 5.5 this morning (and fingers crossed, no headache). Three days of LFT and no sign of any 'Rona for me (turns out, three jabs and a dose of it under a year ago MIGHT make me the most powerful man alive). Mrs C to be labouring a bit, but mainly just general illness lethargy rather than anything more sinister at the moment.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Winner for the negative Covid test.:)
Thanks. For all of you struggling to fathom why Peter the meter, Larry the lamb or Trevor Tee 2 are showing as they are hang on to this thought (nicked from someone's sig): tough times don't last, tough people do. @PenguinMum and @DJC3 especially for you.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
11.5 - New here and new to having Diabetes - need to make some big improvements
First improvements made @Jim D. Checking with a meter and being here. It is a marathon (for the rest of your life) not a sprint. Settle in here and watch how you take back control.

Reactions: Ryhia

Jim D

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
First improvements made @Jim D. Checking with a meter and being here. It is a marathon (for the rest of your life) not a sprint. Settle in here and watch how you take back control.
Thanks, if you could give one bit of advice on making the biggest change for the better what would it be?

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks, if you could give one bit of advice on making the biggest change for the better what would it be?
Personally, don't try to adapt recipes/foods you liked. Ignore them. Self control is a limited resource, everyone will stumble. Expect the unexpected - read back 3 pages to see what I mean.

Last edited:

Estragon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Too many to list here . . .
Keep an open mind to what is said here. Meaning, we aren’t all built the same. My T2 experience ain’t gonna be somebody else’s. I’m on METFORMIN and have elected for a Lo Carb High Fat - LCHF. Sounds awful, but I’ve gotten used to it. I can eat carbs, but I know the short results - oh yes!

Do you know your HBA1C figures yet?

Jim D

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Keep an open mind to what is said here. Meaning, we aren’t all built the same. My T2 experience ain’t gonna be somebody else’s. I’m on METFORMIN and have elected for a Lo Carb High Fat - LCHF. Sounds awful, but I’ve gotten used to it. I can eat carbs, but I know the short results - oh yes!

Do you know your HBA1C figures yet?
Yes ... But I can't recall them at the moment need to check with the nurse and get the figures .... I'm also just starting metformin and looking a low carb diet ... no can't find it but about 86 I think off the top of my head

Estragon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
no can't find it but about 86 I think off the top of my head
Yes, indisputably that’s high. Read my signature and see that I started on 89. I’ve cut out Spuds, Pasta, Rice, Bread and root veg. I went Cold-Turkey, and smashed my way down to 64 in three months. I’m now 46, so kinda in remission-ish.

@Jim D, you’re gonna beat this sucker, and in good time too.

Reactions: ianpspurs

Jim D

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, indisputably that’s high. Read my signature and see that I started on 89. I’ve cut out Spuds, Pasta, Rice, Bread and root veg. I went Cold-Turkey, and smashed my way down to 64 in three months. I’m now 46, so kinda in remission-ish.

@Jim D, you’re gonna beat this sucker, and in good time too.
Wow that's amazing well done, what do you have in place of those carb?

Estragon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I need to relate to you my reinvented Carb profile, from what it HAS to be now

Spuds, that’s one or two, over two months!
Pasta, my Kryptonite, on the alternate months.
Rice maybe once a month.
Porridge is also my weakness - who’d have thought? Maybe once four monthly.

I’m saying all this because, for me, there isn’t a real alternative. The only alternative IS a different approach to my diet and being more inventive with Low or NO carb constituents.

Shredded Cabbage is the NEW Spag….. yeah, right…
I’ve tried several Low Carb breads. Each with their own successes and failures.
Nuts and pork scratchings for nibbles.
Eggs and cheese!

This morning I had microwaved processed low carb smoked sausage and low carb NO Sugar Baked beans. Read the tins and you will quickly get a view on how high your carb intake is. I quickly scan for stuff under 20%. I bet if your do an audit of your larder/fridge you’ll be shocked.

Marianne67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Yes ... But I can't recall them at the moment need to check with the nurse and get the figures .... I'm also just starting metformin and looking a low carb diet ... no can't find it but about 86 I think off the top of my head

I found out I was diabetic when I got a foot ulcer and an HBC1A of 104! All a big shock, after a week in hospital my DN retested at 92, due to be tested again in the next couple of weeks… fingers crossed it’s much improved. I have already be okayed to stop taking metformin, it did not agree much with me.

I dropped bread, pasta, rice and spuds. For me just not having any works best. I do either cauliflower mash, or roast some butter nut squash in place of spuds but much prefer good ole veg. I find my glucose monitor and posting here keeps me motivated, and helped me learn what to avoid for now.

The crew here will definitely help you so stay strong and keep posting.

Reactions: Widgets