Strong question- what do you think caused your diabetes (type 1)

Peter03

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes. Autoimmune to blame for my diabetes and a few other illnesses, why I have no idea, but I can say life has been good for me on the whole

Reactions: EllieM and Antje77

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
However, these therories do tend to only happen when I'm low... ;)
It's not the first time you've mentioned your lows, they sound so much more interesting than mine!
I'd love a thread on interesting hypo symptoms, as this one is not the place to discuss it :)

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Personally I feel it was just good luck, could have been a thousand and one other horrible things that the poor sufferers have no control over. My family is stuffed full of diabetics so I reckon I’m genetically lucky.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My brother has it. Diagnosed at 15. Mine came along 33years afterwards at 54. I had had another autoimmune condition pop up 4 years before and then had an horrendous bout of flu. Proper in bed for 2 weeks flu. I wasn’t well for some months after that. Requiring help to get home from the shop on one occasion as I felt peculiar. With the knowledge I have now it was definitely diabetes. Full blown symptoms came on rapidly including a huge weight loss.
So, for me I think it was in the genes, and I think the illness kickstarted it. Plus as a family we have varied unusual autoimmune conditions.

Torres71

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My whole type 1 journey has completely mystified me, as I am the only person in my entire family that has ever had diabetes. Trying to piece it together is the hard part. I do have Chron's Disease & am taking immunosuppressants. These are supposed to suppress the immune system, yet for me mine still managed to destroy the beta cells in my pancreas. I did find out I had the EBV virus in the past & there is supposed to be a link in triggering type 1 diabetes. All good for thought?

Rylando88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I personally go back and forth with this . I have nobody in my family who are diabetics other than type 2 . I was a very active , healthy kid when I was young, I would just like peoples open opinions on how they feel on why/how they got diabetes.

My mum had been recently diagnosed with an illness and was very sick and whilst she was in recovery we were in a pretty bad car crash (not our fault, man on motorbike doing 70-odd mph on a 30mph road, didn't spot us in time), a couple of months after this I ended up in a diabetic coma. No one in family etc other than my paternal grandmother who was type 2. Doctors say they think it was the shock to my system. I was 10 years old, fit and well otherwise!

nicki92

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I wish I knew! I was diagnosed at the end of September and am otherwise fit and healthy, eat healthily and did plenty of exercise. So it was a big shock.

I have an uncle also with type 1, an aunt with Crohn's and two cousins with coeliac disease. All on the same side of the family... I didn't know before that autoimmune diseases were linked to each other? But this feels like a lot in one family I think?

Interesting reading everyone's theories though. I didn't know there was a link with trauma, so that was an interesting one.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Maybe it is karma . In a past life maybe I was a researcher who made a mouse diabetic but failed to cure it?
I don't know as no prior viral infection nor emotional or physical trauma could be linked other than moving to the Isle of Wight in 1981.

Yaya10_10

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Maybe it is karma . In a past life maybe I was a researcher who made a mouse diabetic but failed to cure it?
I don't know as no prior viral infection nor emotional or physical trauma could be linked other than moving to the Isle of Wight in 1981.

Intersting link

Thanks for sharing

ChuckJones

I think we got diabetes because we were asking our math teachers (back then)
where would we use maths?.

So, now we have the answers, calculate carb, units, corrections, and ratio!

LOL.

Just kidding, actually I think I got it because of some stressful time.

Loooool this answer actually made me laugh hard!

Martin153

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I got way to stressed when doing exams. Strangely I actually perform well when stressed.
But there is no doubt in my mind that stress caused it in me 38 years ago.
Read anything on stress & it can cause all sorts of damage to you.
So learn a universal law statement I found out about..
"It's only the way you think about anything that makes you feel the way you do"
May not sound a lot but read it again & again & when something is upsetting you or stressing you, remember that statement.

daffy1

Dislikes
garlic, pubs
I was diagnosed by pure chance as I was seeing a neurologist for something else and I got a phone call to go straight to hospital as my bloods where way too high at 26.
Stupidly I’d shown all the signs weight loss and excessive drinking and i was constantly falling asleep anywhere but I was totally ignorant of the symptoms so just did nothing
There’s no history of it in the family and I wasn’t overweight so the only thing that the doctors put it down to was olanzapine as I’d been on it for several years and never had my sugars checked. There’s now a warning on the PIL That you must have regular glucose checks

Medina27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Cows milk has been my favourite explanation, I mean everyone is exposed to that, in every stage of life, unlike alcohol or stress. I forget the name of the bacteria found in there, p.acnes or something

Reactions: Bubbleblower

Bubbleblower

BANNED
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Reactions: Medina27

StewM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Cows milk has been my favourite explanation, I mean everyone is exposed to that, in every stage of life, unlike alcohol or stress. I forget the name of the bacteria found in there, p.acnes or something
In my case, I'd had literally zero cow's milk before diagnosis.

Medina27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It has to be something that both babies and adults are exposed to. In theory, you would think that would be a pretty short list

mooshk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Fataphobia, Ableism, Sexism, Racism, Patriarchy. Most right wing fools.
Genuinely think it's trauma. There's some recent research on the effects of trauma on autoimmune response, both physical and psychological trauma