Blood sugar Control

BertSmyth1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
This am woke up 13.1- corrected with 5 units, as was having porridge for breakfast, had breakfast an hour later, 7.9
Walked my dog for about 40 mins, about 2 hours after my breakfast I scanned-16.5 rising, did a bm 22.9 gave correction dose
Scanned again about 40 mins after 21.6 did a bm 24.9
I really don’t know what is going on but struggling with this tbh

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
This am woke up 13.1- corrected with 5 units, as was having porridge for breakfast, had breakfast an hour later, 7.9
Walked my dog for about 40 mins, about 2 hours after my breakfast I scanned-16.5 rising, did a bm 22.9 gave correction dose
Scanned again about 40 mins after 21.6 did a bm 24.9
I really don’t know what is going on but struggling with this tbh
Hello
Can see you are still battling with this.
Many type 1s find low carb easier to do than 'normal carb' and you've already mentioned that you are 'fine' on a no carb day which indicates that you have got the basal right.
I think once you get a dose wrong for a meal (or are ill or stressed or sometimes just from doing higher intensity exercise) then it is hard to bring the glucose down with injected insulin. It doesn't go into our muscles and liver in the same way as the real thing! More remains in the sub cutaneious fat so as well as the more obvious lumps we probably have lumps under the skin too that make absorption unpredictable.
Possibly having small doses such as you'd take with low carb would be better than 'normal' carb with higher doses?
Your typical meal of corn cakes and banana seems like a go to meal for you but you are struggling with dosing it correctly in spite of timing the jab and rotating sites so maybe you could swap it for a low carb 'go to' (no idea of work circumstances etc. so won't make suggestions here but low carb sites are awash with recipes or ask here).
I began low carb 1 meal at a time and dosed about half normal carb dose for protein so maybe 1- 1.5 units with a protein based meal.
Also where are you on getting the pump back?

BertSmyth1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
This is the thing, originally was only going to be off the pump for a few weeks (as a holiday) then that turned into a couple of month, had clinic appointment & was told we’ll see in 6 months time
I originally was low carbing but after the accident got told that basically I was starving myself & my body was screaming for carbs(those were the words of pump nurse)

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Having a carb free day would let you see whether its your background insulin that's in need of attention. Showed me that I needed to increase my Tresiba considerably
Is the absence of carbs, the body will break down protein to provide the glucose it needs so blood sugars will rise. This will lead to the wrong conclusions being made for basal dosing.
A basal test is done by breaking the day into 8 hour chunks and not eating anything during that time.

BertSmyth1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello
Can see you are still battling with this.
Many type 1s find low carb easier to do than 'normal carb' and you've already mentioned that you are 'fine' on a no carb day which indicates that you have got the basal right.
I think once you get a dose wrong for a meal (or are ill or stressed or sometimes just from doing higher intensity exercise) then it is hard to bring the glucose down with injected insulin. It doesn't go into our muscles and liver in the same way as the real thing! More remains in the sub cutaneious fat so as well as the more obvious lumps we probably have lumps under the skin too that make absorption unpredictable.
Possibly having small doses such as you'd take with low carb would be better than 'normal' carb with higher doses?
Your typical meal of corn cakes and banana seems like a go to meal for you but you are struggling with dosing it correctly in spite of timing the jab and rotating sites so maybe you could swap it for a low carb 'go to' (no idea of work circumstances etc. so won't make suggestions here but low carb sites are awash with recipes or ask here).
I began low carb 1 meal at a time and dosed about half normal carb dose for protein so maybe 1- 1.5 units with a protein based meal.
Also where are you on getting the pump back?
Thank you for your reply.
Think I need to go back to low carb (don’t think my DSN will be happy) really fed up with this. Knocking my energy levels

Hertfordshiremum

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you for your reply.
Think I need to go back to low carb (don’t think my DSN will be happy) really fed up with this. Knocking my energy levels
Hi I have only been Type 1 for 3.5 years Like you I am fine on low carb but spike terribly with most carbs, porridge, milk, bananas…. Everything you mention would give me a huge spike even if I have calculated the insulin correctly. If I take extra insulin I hypo later and if I don’t it would take me a very long time to come back down to within range. I bought a Libre for a fortnight and recorded all my food and insulin on the app, they soon changed their tune. Do you have the Libre? Might prove a point and you can see exactly what’s happening.

BertSmyth1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi I have only been Type 1 for 3.5 years Like you I am fine on low carb but spike terribly with most carbs, porridge, milk, bananas…. Everything you mention would give me a huge spike even if I have calculated the insulin correctly. If I take extra insulin I hypo later and if I don’t it would take me a very long time to come back down to within range. I bought a Libre for a fortnight and recorded all my food and insulin on the app, they soon changed their tune. Do you have the Libre? Might prove a point and you can see exactly what’s happening.
Yes I have the Libre but often find when I check on that vs a finger prick-often much higher
Yes I am seriously considering going back to low carb as don’t want to continue like this.
Looked at my estimated A1C-7.6 normally I’m in the 5 range
My nurse just keeps saying it’s my sites, I am rotating
I do t know if going back on the pump will be better but if I’m honest my control is the worst it’s been at the moment!!
Only positive is the Tresiba (not hypoing at night)

BertSmyth1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Started my day at Libre reading 11, gave 4 units - also to cover my breakfast, egg on toast
Within 30 mins it was reading 14.8 (still hadn’t eaten anything) eat my breakfast, hour later 16.9, had walked the dog too so been active
Given correction dose, it’s risen now sitting at 20.2 & rising
I don’t t know what to do

StewM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Did you use a 24 hour Basal pattern on the pump? If not, what were your Basal patterns like?

Hertfordshiremum

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Started my day at Libre reading 11, gave 4 units - also to cover my breakfast, egg on toast
Within 30 mins it was reading 14.8 (still hadn’t eaten anything) eat my breakfast, hour later 16.9, had walked the dog too so been active
Given correction dose, it’s risen now sitting at 20.2 & rising
I don’t t know what to do
Hi Bert My BG can go up for around an hour in the morning even though I inject as soon as I get out of bed. The longer you leave it to eat your liver may be kicking out glucose to give you energy thinking there is no food. Try injecting, just waiting 30mins and having something completely low carb eg scrambled eggs. I have found this often halts any rise and usually then goes down an hour later. It’s worth a go, the Dawn phenomenon is such a problem. Toast does the same thing to me, massively high BG, absolutely cannot eat it. Are you feeling ok, 20.2 is extremely high, have you checked for ketones?

Also have you tried longer silicone coated needles if your nurse is suggesting a problem with injection sites? There may be more than one problem going on here and you really need to be sure the insulin you are injecting is actually working. I recently had a problem with red lumps and terrible bruising where I was injecting but switching to longer needles so the insulin goes in further (apparently less chance of bruising and should be more effective) and using ‘microdot’ silicon coated needles has solved the problem. What needles have you been given?

Hope you are ok, are you using Fiasp or Novorapid?

BertSmyth1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Bert My BG can go up for around an hour in the morning even though I inject as soon as I get out of bed. The longer you leave it to eat your liver may be kicking out glucose to give you energy thinking there is no food. Try injecting, just waiting 30mins and having something completely low carb eg scrambled eggs. I have found this often halts any rise and usually then goes down an hour later. It’s worth a go, the Dawn phenomenon is such a problem. Toast does the same thing to me, massively high BG, absolutely cannot eat it. Are you feeling ok, 20.2 is extremely high, have you checked for ketones?

Also have you tried longer silicone coated needles if your nurse is suggesting a problem with injection sites? There may be more than one problem going on here and you really need to be sure the insulin you are injecting is actually working. I recently had a problem with red lumps and terrible bruising where I was injecting but switching to longer needles so the insulin goes in further (apparently less chance of bruising and should be more effective) and using ‘microdot’ silicon coated needles has solved the problem. What needles have you been given?

Hope you are ok, are you using Fiasp or Novorapid?
Thank you for your reply
I will see what my nurse says about the longer silicone coated needles
Waiting to hear from her
Currently I use Gluco rx fine point needles-4mm
I feel pretty rough tbh, just walked the dog but not my usual pace, meant to be going spinning tonight but not sure given how I’m feeling
Ketones are 0.4 - so safe

Reactions: NicoleC1971

StewM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes I did when I was on the pump.
That being the case, from all the information you've presented in this thread, it sounds like the trade-off for getting rid of the Night-Time Hypos are these Highs.

Like In Response suggested, you might be best-placed doing Basal Tests of chunks of 8 hours (or even four chunks of 6 hours), and identifying if your needs are varying throughout the day. Like In Response suggested, if you just go carb-free for a day, it will distort the data, so it's much better to look at chunks, especially when in your case your Basal needs might vary.

Also, it's worth noting that Tresiba isn't always as flat as advertised. When I was using it did definitely have some Peaks and Troughs which I had to move around to suit my body's variable needs.

BertSmyth1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
That being the case, from all the information you've presented in this thread, it sounds like the trade-off for getting rid of the Night-Time Hypos are these Highs.

Like In Response suggested, you might be best-placed doing Basal Tests of chunks of 8 hours (or even four chunks of 6 hours), and identifying if your needs are varying throughout the day. Like In Response suggested, if you just go carb-free for a day, it will distort the data, so it's much better to look at chunks, especially when in your case your Basal needs might vary.

Also, it's worth noting that Tresiba isn't always as flat as advertised. When I was using it did definitely have some Peaks and Troughs which I had to move around to suit my body's variable needs.
Tresiba has definitely helped me
Will try some basal testing, though some days are busier than other for me, generally more active in my days off, on busier days I have been reducing my Tresiba by 2 units

StewM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Tresiba has definitely helped me
Will try some basal testing, though some days are busier than other for me, generally more active in my days off, on busier days I have been reducing my Tresiba by 2 units
Ah... we might have got to the route of the problem.

When I was on Tresiba I was advised to never do what you're doing. Tresiba, for reasons I've never identified, is extremely unstable when switching from one dose to another and it can take 3-7 days to settle. If you're varying your dose regularly it never gets a chance to settle. Also because of Tresiba's extraordinary long lifespan, there's not much point to the changes, as the higher doses could be lingering in your system on your active days. Any time I've switched doses myself I've always had to accept a level of instability in the first 72 hours.

So that suggests you have two options either figuring out a dose you can stick to every day whilst working round the kinks (I found the level of Tresiba I needed meant I had to have small pre-bed snacks to prevent Hypos through the night). Or... you suggest to your DSN that Tresiba isn't suited to your lifestyle (which because of its quirks it's really not suited to a lot of people).

BertSmyth1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Ah... we might have got to the route of the problem.

When I was on Tresiba I was advised to never do what you're doing. Tresiba, for reasons I've never identified, is extremely unstable when switching from one dose to another and it can take 3-7 days to settle. If you're varying your dose regularly it never gets a chance to settle. Also because of Tresiba's extraordinary long lifespan, there's not much point to the changes, as the higher doses could be lingering in your system on your active days. Any time I've switched doses myself I've always had to accept a level of instability in the first 72 hours.

So that suggests you have two options either figuring out a dose you can stick to every day whilst working round the kinks (I found the level of Tresiba I needed meant I had to have small pre-bed snacks to prevent Hypos through the night). Or... you suggest to your DSN that Tresiba isn't suited to your lifestyle (which because of its quirks it's really not suited to a lot of people).
That’s really interesting, never knew this. Hmm this could be a pain then as quite frequently I am changing as advised by my consultant (active lifestyle)
Still waiting to hear from my nurse
Finally though numbers are 6.5

Reactions: Hertfordshiremum

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@StewM is bang on re Tresiba. If you need to be altering your basal doses daily then it is not for you. Better on Levemir which is designed for this. If I need to change doses of Tresiba it is with a view of a more long term change. It takes days to settle down. Your body must be utterly confused and hence the high levels.

BertSmyth1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
@StewM is bang on re Tresiba. If you need to be altering your basal doses daily then it is not for you. Better on Levemir which is designed for this. If I need to change doses of Tresiba it is with a view of a more long term change. It takes days to settle down. Your body must be utterly confused and hence the high levels.
Such a shame. My nurse was raving about Tresiba-thinks it’s great & good for me as reduced the night time hypos