Carb count

Mxrtsss

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How can I count carbs in a restaurant or family meal? Without having the nutritional information

Reactions: Mike d

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, you can get the carbs and Cals app on your phone for a rough estimation, or you can buy a mini scale to take with you to weigh your food, or you can try it at home with kitchen utensils and weigh it, so for example for tablespoon of rice is so and so carbs, this can help you visual your food in a restaurant.

DEBBIESCOTT

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’ve found some places(maybe not many) have the nutritional information on their websites, might be worth a try, or you could pick what you’re going to have beforehand & work it out approximately on MyFitnessPal

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Unless meals are prepackaged I would take restaurant nutrition details with a pinch of salt.
Eating out is a carb guestimate but nothing to be afraid of. Being slightly high or lower than usual is unlikely to kill you. Test, take hypo treatment with you and enjoy the meal.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. As my DN once said you just have to 'eyeball' the food having looked previously at books/articles which show pictures with sizes and carb count. I have found anyway that you can't rely on package carb counts. I've found that certain brands of Crumpets which list 20gm per Crumpet need twice the amount of insulin your ratio would suggest

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
You will soon get used to guessing the amounts of carbs in restaurant foods and as long as it's not too often you can go high on the odd occasion and sometimes you will make a mistake like I did only last week I had a beef stir fry with noodles in a chilli sauce and a pint of lager , wow when I got home bg was 22 it took me 4 days to get back to normal bgs .

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with checking the menu beforehand, and often restaurants will make adjustments if you notify them in advance.

As well as obvious carbs - rice, potatoes, pasta et al - remember that all sauces, gravies and dressings will have flour and probably sugar in them.

It's up to you if you indulge and take the consequences or steer round the ingredients you shouldn't have. Knowledge is power.