Another Interesting Article

DCB 2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Carry out out pizza commercials on the TV and people bringing in a fresh box of glazed donuts to work !!! (They are evil)
I came across this yesterday, https://www.fractyl.com/therapies/, it seems like someone is working on a therapy for type 2 diabetes.
From what I read they resurface the colon so that it more sensitive to insulin. Studies or currently being done with the goal of having FDA approval.

I have requested if they have any papers on their studies and will post them when I get them

Reactions: Speedbird
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
From what I read they resurface the colon so that it more sensitive to insulin.

The way I read it is that they burn away the suface of the duodenum which is at the opposite end of the small intestine from the colon. It seems to be a more in your face treatment instead of the embarrassing one.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Here is a description of the area in question
https://www.nursingtimes.net/clinic...-tract-part-4-the-small-intestine-28-02-2006/
I am reminded that most burnt tissue in the body develops scar tissue, and I am surprised this treatment is able to remove the layer and a whole rejuvenated surface replaces it. I would think it increases the risk of duodenal ulceration. I can see this process might actually be reducing the absorbtion of carbs and proteins since these are the prime nutrients tackled in the duodenum. They say it is non surgical, which I find curious. Seems surgical to my mind. But it is not gastric bypass.

It must be noted that epithelial cells in the duodenum have a short lifespan anyway, and get replaced on a weeky basis. So it is not the regrowing of the cell layer that is the key. The duodenum does thicken as we age.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/labs/pmc/articles/PMC4883796/

I am surprised that this is being touted as a 'cure' for NAFLD. Again a restricted diet does that, so this procedure does seem to work by nutrient restriction on a permanent basis. So what else does it block?

The route they take to get to the site is still from the nether end it seems.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
From the website you linked:
"For people with advanced type 2 diabetes, the only treatment option today is insulin dose escalation."
Seems a bit short-sighted, with all the current drugs available, and the results people see from dietary changes.
Also, 'advanced type 2' isn't a thing.

And this:
"we have conducted rigorous clinical testing of Revita in close to 300 patients with a variety of metabolic disorders and varying degrees of insulin resistance, including type 2 diabetes, nonalcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH), and polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS)."
So they've tried their new approach on less than 300 people who didn't even have the same condition and call it 'rigourous clinical testing'?
I don't think that's how it works in the real world.

They are currently looking for a small number of research participants in the US only. So very early days, and to be honest, I wouldn't put my money on it.
But you never know!

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The route they take to get to the site is still from the nether end it seems.
It sure is.

It's surprising what they can do during a colonoscopy they would have problems, I am not sure they can do a "cut and polish" in the colon though.

Having seen the photo's / video of the polyps that I have in my sigmoid colon they will have big problems resurfacing that.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It sure is.

It's surprising what they can do during a colonoscopy they would have problems, I am not sure they can do a "cut and polish" in the colon though.

Having seen the photo's / video of the polyps that I have in my sigmoid colon they will have big problems resurfacing that.
From what i read, the lining is similar to that found in the lungs. Polyps with villae and microvillae on top to multiply the surface area by a factor of around 200x. I think a steamroller up the colon would not be sensitive to these friendly polyps at all. Its not wallpaper they are removing after all. The duodenum is where most of the macrobiotic enzymes are secreted such as amylase, lactase, protease etc. It is where most of our vitamins get absorbed too. Attacking it with a flame thrower or whatever the heat treatment they apply is does not seem to be kind and gentle. First Do No Harm. Yes we can survive without a duodenum since bariatric surgeons remove them in some of the procedures. But I am too young to be requiring a Stoma.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think a steamroller up the colon would not be sensitive to these friendly polyps at all. Its not wallpaper they are removing after all.
I like this description, the main offending polyp is 50 mm > in size plus several smaller ones, all malignant. They can flatten them out with a roller as none of the treatment options are of no use to me.

Going off topic a bit, sorry.