Type 1: What are your HbA1c test results?

Torres71

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
For the first time this year, my HBA1C has slightly deteriorated. It's gone from 7% (53) to 7.4% (57). Had my Abasaglar increased last Monday by my diabetes nurse & having another appointment with her tomorrow 4th October 2021. Ive been really careful with my diet so maybe the honeymoon period is drawing to a close.

JustLucky

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Marie 2
Mine is reading higher usually, rarely lower. But still hba1c isn't exactly an average glucose, so it does make sense it is different... Anyway I'm happy with the result, should be ok I hope :cyclops:
Sensors are great tools anyway, I suppose they will get even better, not worse in the future...

Reactions: Marie 2

kareeta77

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
My result today was 6.5 (48). Really happy (and quite surprised) . Was expecting a much higher number after having covid this time last year and never getting completely back in range

jennymaclucas

Mine is 44/6.2% at the moment, which in my mind is perfect. However, my (new, just recently moved) diabetes clinic team are worried this is too low and are rushing me in for an appointment to reduce my insulin rates. I've said this isn't necessary - I've been diabetic for 20 years and use a minimed pump and Libre 2 sensors, so I *know* everything is good.

Just a bit worried they will insist on changing things, as I'm happy with my results as they are. I've always understood anything between 6-6.5% was the range they are looking for - in fact, both the NHS website and the Diabetes UK website stress Hba1c targets of below 48 mmol/l/6.5%, so 6.2% doesn't seem anywhere like "too low" to me.

Has anyone else in the UK had this experience?

Richard F

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think everyone is a bit different, mines around 51mmol. Everyone seems fairly happy. It's not the whole picture though, look at target ranges too. If my average was lower I reckon I'd be spending too much time below target. No good for me as a fairly physical outdoorsy sort, my sugars can drop quickly from 7s > 4s.

I only keep my averages as low as I do by trying to run low overnight, an overnight hypo isn't a disaster for me, its just my libre pinging ever time I drop below 5 that keeps me awake.

Id like a 2 stage warning, a gentle reminder when it's below 5 and a ****** DO SOMETHING NOW, noise when it goes below 4.

(edited by mod)

Last edited by a moderator:

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Mine is 44/6.2% at the moment, which in my mind is perfect. However, my (new, just recently moved) diabetes clinic team are worried this is too low and are rushing me in for an appointment to reduce my insulin rates.
Old school HCP's can still believe a lower hba1c must be caused by many hypo's. Some seem to forget that with Libre/CGM we can nowadays see if this is the case.
So make sure to show them your time in range, and bring copies of relevant literature just in case.
They should be very happy with you!

jennymaclucas

Old school HCP's can still believe a lower hba1c must be caused by many hypo's. Some seem to forget that with Libre/CGM we can nowadays see if this is the case.
So make sure to show them your time in range, and bring copies of relevant literature just in case.
They should be very happy with you!
Thanks so much for your response - yes, I'll insist they download and have a look at my Libre data (I'm in target (4-9) 86% of the time at the moment, so really no issues). They've just been a bit slow to get that sorted and I think I just got a shock that they found my results so worrying!

Reactions: Antje77

jennymaclucas

I think everyone is a bit different, mines around 51mmol. Everyone seems fairly happy. It's not the whole picture though, look at target ranges too. If my average was lower I reckon I'd be spending too much time below target. No good for me as a fairly physical outdoorsy sort, my sugars can drop quickly from 7s > 4s.

I only keep my averages as low as I do by trying to run low overnight, an overnight hypo isn't a disaster for me, its just my libre pinging ever time I drop below 5 that keeps me awake.

Id like a 2 stage warning, a gentle reminder when it's below 5 and a ****** DO SOMETHING NOW, noise when it goes below 4.

(edited by mod)
Thanks Richard! I think that's maybe one of the big problems, they haven't really had a chance to "know" me and my lifestyle/circumstances yet and have just jumped the gun. Totally agree a two-stage alarm would be ideal - I'm terrible for seeing my Libre 2 alert (which is set at 5.0) and saying "ah I'll be fine and get something in a minute...." hehe

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
An A1C in the 42-53 (6’s) have been the recommended levels here in the US for a while. But people run into some doctors that sometimes freak below 42 (6). Although it’s usually below 36 (Low 5’s) that they don’t like. They prefer 42-52 (6’s) But as cgm’s are being used more, endos look at TIR to judge more how you are doing. Here they want lows to stay lower than 4% of your total with hardly any "very low" readings. Even lower A1c's are completely acceptable if you can prove you don't go too low.

Endos here generally pay more attention to how much hypo time you have. Here that is considered under 3.9 (70). Because you could have an A1C of 53 (7) and be having some major lows with highs and still have an A1C in “acceptable range" to achieve it. .

Technician87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not a great deal really...I'm easy!!
I got 38 in November on my latest bloods, one recorded hypo of 3.6 that I sorted quickly. I inject...lantus and Novorapid! Have a freestyle Libra, worked hard for it!! 95% in target range...sometimes I just like pizza and chocolate haha! I'm aiming for a low thirty come the new year!

Reactions: Swillbos