Are there low carbohydrate legumes ?

Jiro

Hello everyone,

First of all, thank you for entering my post

I wanted to ask you if you can tell me about legumes that have little or no carbohydrates. Or, perhaps, legumes that will not spike our sugar levels when we eat them.

I love legumes ( chickpeas, beans and lentils especially ), but these are foods that when I take them they raise my sugar level. So I want to see if there is something similar or the same and better for us.

Greetings and thanks for reading me

Reactions: finzi1966

Widgets

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I strongly suspect that there's no answer here that fits everyone. I am absolutely fine with chickpeas, they don't do much at all to my blood sugar. I've not tested with lentils or other beans, but I would test each type separately.

I think the only thing you can do is controlled experiments, with you as the subject, and your meter to get the results.

This game would be so much easier if the rules were identical for everyone.

Reactions: lucylocket61

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Legumes and pulses are an odd one - some people digest them resulting in a rise in levels whereas others find they "go straight through" so chickpeas, lentils, etc. can be enjoyed without a rise in blood sugars. there is no easy way to tell if you are a pulse digester without trying and measuring.

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I still use both chickpeas and lentils but only in small quantities, so whereas I might have made a vat of chickpea curry in the past, I now make a veggie curry and add only one tin of chickpeas. That will feed me 4 or 5 (or maybe more!) times so the amount of chickpea in each serving is small enough not to bother me. Same with red lentils, a handful added to a stew as a thickener is fine for me.

But only by testing will you know what you can tolerate.

Reactions: McHelen

BravoKilo

I can get way with small amounts of chickpeas (usually in hummus, home made or bought).
My lentil experiments (using a Libre ) are ambivalent - as were always part of a meal and the carb count always the dominant factor for my own sugar repose. I used to really like Ainsley Harriott’s Puy Lentil, Feta, Red Onion & Sundried tomato salad to accompany barbq’s, but that’s off limits to me now!
Thanks @Mr-Pot for the Black Bean suggestion.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Jiro,

I find that for me the best choice in legumes are lupin beans (also known as altramuces or tromocos). They are very low carb (somewhere between 0g to 3g of carbs per 100 g).

I use them in hummus (instead of chick peas/garbanzo beans) and they don't affect my blood sugars at all.

Edamame beans are also very low carb and may present an alternative option.

BravoKilo

Hi @Jiro,

I find that for me the best choice in legumes are lupin beans (also known as altramuces or tromocos). They are very low carb (somewhere between 0g to 3g of carbs per 100 g).

I use them in hummus (instead of chick peas/garbanzo beans) and they don't affect my blood sugars at all.

Edamame beans are also very low carb and may present an alternative option.
Thanks for this - I had not heard of them. Looks like they are often sold as Lupini beans ((Italian) in the UK.

Reactions: ziggy_w

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I also eat Lupin beans,about 100 grams a day. They do have carbs, but have the lowest starch content of all the other beans.As others have said you need to test and see how you tolerate them.

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have a recipe for keto Yorkshire puddings which are made with arrowroot and lupin flour.

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
No lentils are off the menu for me - seeds are a no no too. Nuts I can tolerate if I have then during the morning/ afternoon. After that they raise my sugar

Madisons

I also love legumes of all kinds, but recently being diagnosed with A1C of 6.1, I have to avoid them. I used to eat half a can at one seating, on its own (chickpeas, fava beans, black beans, lentils, etc...) or with a bowl of quinoa. Little did I know, this was probably skyrocketing my sugars and my poor pancreas was working harder than ever. I heard about lupini beans but they are still high carb, and someone also suggested edaname beans but that's soy, and i have to avoid due to a hypothyroid. I just love beans and i am devastated that i have to stay away from them. Wish someone could invent a low carb bean we can eat, just like the shirataki noodles that have no carb but feels like I'm eating pasta again somehow. Let me know if there's this magic bean out there with low or no carbs!

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I also love legumes of all kinds, but recently being diagnosed with A1C of 6.1, I have to avoid them. I used to eat half a can at one seating, on its own (chickpeas, fava beans, black beans, lentils, etc...) or with a bowl of quinoa. Little did I know, this was probably skyrocketing my sugars and my poor pancreas was working harder than ever. I heard about lupini beans but they are still high carb, and someone also suggested edaname beans but that's soy, and i have to avoid due to a hypothyroid. I just love beans and i am devastated that i have to stay away from them. Wish someone could invent a low carb bean we can eat, just like the shirataki noodles that have no carb but feels like I'm eating pasta again somehow. Let me know if there's this magic bean out there with low or no carbs!

Have you actually tested out the Lupini beans?. They contain almost zero starches. Nutritional value tables are useful or helpful in trying to guage their effects on BG, but the only true test is to do the a real test ie eat and test over time. This is the only way to get the answer that has meaning for you.. Otherwise you will just go around in circles.

Madisons

Hi Pasha,
No I haven't tested, but read the label on the jar that was high in carbs, so didn't bother to try them. I'm afraid to put anything in my system when looking at the high carb nutritional value label. I'm not on any meds yet, and want to avoid as much as possible, but so afraid that it is heading into LADA type 1, as my mother has that, and her endo says that's usually genetic. So she went straight to insulin, and not metaformin (i am terrified of needles and bad at numbers!!) Sometimes I break down, and have a tablespoon of legumes, and hope that everything is fine. How I long for the days when I was young and healthy with not a care in the world....

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
For anybody interested, here are the nutritional values for the Lupini beans that I eat daily. From the Yachin canning company,Israel

Nutritional values Per 100 grams Unit
Energy (calories) 101
Fats 3
Sodium (mg) 190
Total carbohydrates (grams) 2.5
Dietary fiber 10.5
Protein (g) 11.2
Saturated fatty acid 0.46
Trans fatty acid 0.5
Folic acid (mcg) B9 59
Magnesium 54
Iron (mg) 1.2

These data looked good, so at the time I thought it best to subject them to my pancrease for approval.They passed the test.

More here re other products and certificates of approval. https://yachin-co-il.translate.goog...tr_sl=iw&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=sc

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
These may not be so good if you happen to be allergic to peanuts or the like but I suppose that is so with many legumes.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
These may not be so good if you happen to be allergic to peanuts or the like but I suppose that is so with many legumes.
Agree, peanuts make my stomach cramp and give me a distended tummy, so annoying Waitrose has the lowest carb version I can find, tried so many times.