Why The Glucose Crisis Will Be Worse Than The Opioid Crisis

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I still think, although I lack the scientific knowledge to prove it, that the new wheat which came in around the 1950's or 1960's has affected out ability to cope with wheat in various ways.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I still think, although I lack the scientific knowledge to prove it, that the new wheat which came in around the 1950's or 1960's has affected out ability to cope with wheat in various ways.

I did read on the forum somewhere, that it was early '60s, just as the microbiologists were starting gene splitting. Of course many scientists were trying to find a way to increase yields and increasing the lifetime through preservatives, bleaching and additives. This meant that mass production of cheap bread and cereals were the mainstay of the western diet along with potatoes, and the introduction of processing meat products, to make use of as much of the animal as possible.
Of course everything was tested on animals.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My two opioid pain killers Fentanyl and Oxycodone scripts would cost me approx $65.00 per month with out any benefits applied such as PBS concession card and not hitting the PBS safety net at a pharmacy. At present I am paying nothing for them as I have the cards for both PBS services.. The safety net finishes in the new year so will be paying the normal concession price of $6.60 per item.

You will not get a lot of lowish carb food for that $65.00, it would probably could be done if you had a push bike and go to some of the farms that have honesty box fruit and veggie stalls at the front gate. You will not get cheap meat here so you would have go veggie. There is the road kill option for meat if you are really hungry.

We get fruit veggies from the Sunday farmers markets where there are cheap bargains to be had, most of the produce is rejected items by the large supermarket groups that want unblemished stuff.

I have noticed all of the mainly unemployed people who make the most noise about not being unable to manage, all have high end mobile phones and are smokers on the tv news.

Never knock back free stuff, I was given a fruit and veggie tray last week by one of the Blue Care nurses who looks after my leg, carb wise I could not eat most of it. I accepted it in the spirit it was given me, as I could share it with my partner and neighbour.

I have probably got this thread all wrong. :meh:

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have noticed all of the mainly unemploye
A sizable proportion of our population who are on benefits are also working full-time on low wages which are not high enough to pay for basic needs. Even with the benefits, it's still not enough for nourishing food. I won't get started on the heating poverty running alongside the food poverty, for fear of derailing the thread.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

johnme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
during the second world war there were cafes run which offered cheap and nutritious meals. I cant remember what they were called, but they helped many, especially the shift workers. Why cant we do the same, as the costs incurred (these cafes were not free) would save so much in medical budgets.
Many years ago when I lived in the country in France the children (including mine) and the old people of the village were fed in the 'cantine communale.' A meal cost FF10, at the time the equivalent of a quid. We would sometimes find the younger one's top pocket full of brassicas as they fed the kids a good range of green veg but - like children everywhere - he resisted.

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Careful with large roadkill unless you have seen it hit - if a vet has euthanised a deer and left it for collection later, it's not a great idea to eat the meat. I speak as one who has been very thankful for roadkill over the years.
Butchers will happily supply large meaty bones for little cost, especially if you ask in advance. These make wonderful broth to which you can add veggies and spices you like (NOT root veg). Delicious, filling and nutritious.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I have my meat from a butcher delivered, because there is no longer a butcher's shop within miles from where I live.
My local mini markets only have meat in those plastic packages.

Fresh meat is recommended for metabolic conditions.

Don't forget to eat as much of the fat as possible.

andromache

It is worth remembering that in the hungry post WWII years, advances in technology that fed more people so they didn’t starve was seen as a blessing rather than a curse. Similarly the guy who had a generation earlier figured out how to make nitrogen fertiliser easily and won a Nobel prize for it, having greatly increased the number of people on the earth who could eat and live and have children and raise them. Little did anyone know what the unintended consequences for human and ecological health would be,