DPP-4 inhibitors such as Januvia

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I think that this is the correct forum but it seems to be very low activity.

I am contemplating adding another medication to Metformin and the DSN has suggested a DPP-4 inhibitor.

Can anyone give me some more information about benefits and issues from personal experience?

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was prescribed Galvus, and when I was unable to get more, another doctor gave me Januvia to tide me over. Both pills were easy to take, without any nausea etc. They didn't, it has to be said, seem to do much regarding my blood control, but that was on a single pill 50mg a day dose. I feel like they made me gain weight more easily- I've switched to xigduo recently, and the difference it's made regarding hunger is pretty noticeable. That said, if youre already on metformin, I don't think you will have the same issue.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

I am contemplating adding another medication to Metformin and the DSN has suggested a DPP-4 inhibitor.

Can anyone give me some more information about benefits and issues from personal experience?

Januvia is is a dpp4 inhibitor.
This must mean that your doctor is concerned about your initial insulin response or insulin resistance, this is impacting on your bg levels from the carbs you do eat.
For what reason the Gliptin increases your insulin response and will prevent the spikes occurring that is not allowing your bg or Hba1c to drop.
It is not a drug that impacts bg directly, but does help with spikes.

I have been on januvia (sitagliptin) since 2014. No side effects.
I was used as a guinea pig, in a trial for RH, with januvia.

If you are happy with metformin and januvia, there is a drug called janumet, that is a combination of both.

Keep safe

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
This must mean that your doctor is concerned about your initial insulin response or insulin resistance

I wish I had your faith!
As far as I can tell, during the phone call the Diabetic Nurse was reading the details off a list in front of them.
In time I will post more details; at the moment I'm just trying to asses if I have been given sensible options.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I wish I had your faith!
As far as I can tell, during the phone call the Diabetic Nurse was reading the details off a list in front of them.
In time I will post more details; at the moment I'm just trying to asses if I have been given sensible options.
This was how it was designed. It is a relatively new drug and the difference I seen with being a guinea pig, was impressive in how it showed the before and after results.
I have heard of both those with side effects and more with no side effects.
You can only try and see how you get on!

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
One of my issues is that I have both highs and lows (both enough to set off the Libre alarm at times).
Something which prevents the highs would be good, but not if it makes the overshoot to low more dramatic.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
The difference between RH and T2, is the secondary insulin response or the overshoot. And because RH is non diabetic in the sense that a balanced diet, not creating the spikes that trigger the secondary response will give me a typical Hba1c levels within normal levels. My fasting levels are always normal.
The reason for these meds is to stop the high spikes which cause the higher than normal levels, for instance diabetic levels over time.
That is why low carb works because it stops the viscous cycle of high spikes and higher results, resulting in diabetic fasting and Hba1c levels.
The Gliptin stops the spikes.

Keep safe

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people, corrupt politicians, poverty, happy pharmaceutical ads;

Yeach!!!