Glucose tolerance test

sno0opy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all,

Very long time since i posted as i lost my login and to be honest been busy with work and other things. I was intensive in my posting during my first year but i have settled into my new life so much now that i haven't been on much.

Bloods seem to be well in control with HBA1C still very good.

I thought i would just post for general interest my latest glucose tolerance test just as an example of how things have developed for me in the last few years. So this isn't a proper Dr administered one, so please lay of the technique critique, but i just like to do an annual check and follow a study i read detailing how its done.

Objective: Benchmark how the body deals with a very high dose of carbs. How high do you spike, how long does it take for your body to bring it back down the normal levels. It seems to be to be a good test to try rarely to see where your body is, not withstanding if your on Keto it is likely to throw you more then it does me as I have not gone Keto to get to this point.

I know this test is mostly a diagnostic tool, but I quite like it to see the curve to get a feeling on how your body is able to cope with carbs.

Simply, 75G of pure glucose ( I have tried this before with other carbs like 75g of carbs in a cereal to see how i deal with that but for the purpose of the benchmark per the study example its pure glucose in water), diluted in water and drunk. Then test every 15mins.

· Prior to the test you should have a typical diet for the preceding 2 days (No point going ultra-low carb 2 days before if you’re not normally, nor should you do the test if you happened to have had a bad few days for carbs compared to normal).

· At least 15 hours fasting before taking test

· Test done at rest for the full 2 - 3 hours.

The hospital test states that your diabetic if it does not drop below about 7.5 after 2 hours.

upload_2021-11-23_15-31-59.png

The dark blue line was one I did a month or two after I was diagnosed Sep 2019 (HBA1C at this point was 87) but diet was under control by this point. Grey was a year later, Orange this year (this morning)

Now I already knew from my HBA1C scores that my control was good and this has allot to do with a well balanced and controlled diet. But I don’t Keto, I do eat carbs just no simple carbs and not in any great quantity – to be honest its probably closer to the much maligned NHS system only I still have almost totally cut Potatoes, Rice, Pasta, Bread of all varieties out. Still have whole grains, fruit, lentils, beans etc.

Anyhow, my point is that I feel that my initial HBA1C improvements were 100% Diet based. But the results I’m seeing now defiantly in part due to a lower carb intake, but also a significant weight reduction and transposition from fat to muscle. Lots of hard work and exercise sadly but I really feel like its had an impact and im taking the results as a good sign.

Your never cured, will forever be on a controlled diet, but its nice to think that progress is being made treating the route cause which im pretty sure in my case was Diet, Weight and lack of physical activity.

Anyhow, just thought i would pop this up for interest and see if anyone had done similar tests/comments.

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's a very normoglycemic result.
Only spiking to about 9 at the 30min mark & all done & dusted by the 1 hour.
Also no evidence of a reactive hypo which shows great 2nd phase regulation.
Evidence of an improving first phase response is very encouraging.
All in all, a triumph.

Reactions: Daz79

BravoKilo

Hi all,

Very long time since i posted as i lost my login and to be honest been busy with work and other things. I was intensive in my posting during my first year but i have settled into my new life so much now that i haven't been on much.

Bloods seem to be well in control with HBA1C still very good.

I thought i would just post for general interest my latest glucose tolerance test just as an example of how things have developed for me in the last few years. So this isn't a proper Dr administered one, so please lay of the technique critique, but i just like to do an annual check and follow a study i read detailing how its done.

Objective: Benchmark how the body deals with a very high dose of carbs. How high do you spike, how long does it take for your body to bring it back down the normal levels. It seems to be to be a good test to try rarely to see where your body is, not withstanding if your on Keto it is likely to throw you more then it does me as I have not gone Keto to get to this point.

I know this test is mostly a diagnostic tool, but I quite like it to see the curve to get a feeling on how your body is able to cope with carbs.

Simply, 75G of pure glucose ( I have tried this before with other carbs like 75g of carbs in a cereal to see how i deal with that but for the purpose of the benchmark per the study example its pure glucose in water), diluted in water and drunk. Then test every 15mins.

· Prior to the test you should have a typical diet for the preceding 2 days (No point going ultra-low carb 2 days before if you’re not normally, nor should you do the test if you happened to have had a bad few days for carbs compared to normal).

· At least 15 hours fasting before taking test

· Test done at rest for the full 2 - 3 hours.

The hospital test states that your diabetic if it does not drop below about 7.5 after 2 hours.

View attachment 52196

The dark blue line was one I did a month or two after I was diagnosed Sep 2019 (HBA1C at this point was 87) but diet was under control by this point. Grey was a year later, Orange this year (this morning)

Now I already knew from my HBA1C scores that my control was good and this has allot to do with a well balanced and controlled diet. But I don’t Keto, I do eat carbs just no simple carbs and not in any great quantity – to be honest its probably closer to the much maligned NHS system only I still have almost totally cut Potatoes, Rice, Pasta, Bread of all varieties out. Still have whole grains, fruit, lentils, beans etc.

Anyhow, my point is that I feel that my initial HBA1C improvements were 100% Diet based. But the results I’m seeing now defiantly in part due to a lower carb intake, but also a significant weight reduction and transposition from fat to muscle. Lots of hard work and exercise sadly but I really feel like its had an impact and im taking the results as a good sign.

Your never cured, will forever be on a controlled diet, but its nice to think that progress is being made treating the route cause which im pretty sure in my case was Diet, Weight and lack of physical activity.

Anyhow, just thought i would pop this up for interest and see if anyone had done similar tests/comments.

Very impressive results, and very encouraging!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I believe you are showing off!
But well done on maintaining your progress and I agree with the others a very good example of how it is possible to be able to have a few carbs. And stay in control.

My own experiences with eOGTT tests. Your graph is typical T2, especially with the improvements over the period. I'm glad you did three hours and not two, because that is my crucial time that I continue to over produce insulin and crash.
My own graphs, would show the quick spike, followed by a short drop, then peak again, by then the glucose has been used and the excess insulin would continue to push my bg into hypoglycaemic levels. My graph doesn't so much have a curve but is a bit more sharper, like the twin peaks of Kilimanjaro!!!!
I agree with you about having the same balanced diet before the test.
However my eOGTTs, must be a fasting test as the test and graph would be skewed by the carbs beforehand.

sno0opy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,

Sorry i wasn't intending this to appear as a "showing off thing" - though not sure what would been gained from an anonymous post on a forum I haven't used for a while.

I just thought it was interesting - both to see if any one else has done this test and how they look. But also to make the connection that in my mind the progress that's been made has been mostly about the fitness and strengthening side of things rather then a Keto diet. I

Diet was king early on and that sorted my HBA1C out, but i think the ability to process some carbs was more about changes to my body through improved fitness and activity (resting metabolism and muscle mass seem to be factors). Not saying im a body builder or anything like, just not only lost the weight through diet, but pushed for a significant change in fitness to go with it.

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Attachments

• upload_2021-11-23_15-31-59.png
    upload_2021-11-23_15-31-59.png
    45.3 KB · Views: 102

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

Sorry i wasn't intending this to appear as a "showing off thing" - though not sure what would been gained from an anonymous post on a forum I haven't used for a while.

I just thought it was interesting - both to see if any one else has done this test and how they look. But also to make the connection that in my mind the progress that's been made has been mostly about the fitness and strengthening side of things rather then a Keto diet. I

Diet was king early on and that sorted my HBA1C out, but i think the ability to process some carbs was more about changes to my body through improved fitness and activity (resting metabolism and muscle mass seem to be factors). Not saying im a body builder or anything like, just not only lost the weight through diet, but pushed for a significant change in fitness to go with it.

I did one in 2017 using the Rapilose drink that the NHS use and got these results.
Probably time to try another I guess.
Mine was without increasing carbs appreciably in the preceding days and was when I was keto as opposed to primarily carnivore.

Screenshot 2021-11-24 at 12.14.50.png

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
over selling.... oh so many things are enthusiastically oversold
Hi,

Thanks for sharing this