Cgm monitoring or blood glucose monitoring

thewestiesmum

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Are there still people around who instead of having a cgm to monitor they just do the old fashioned way of blood glucose monitoring?

Soplewis12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Grumpy People
I mainly use CGM but if I've changed the sensor within last 24 hours I still check using finger prick. Readings within first 24 hours can be quite a bit out.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Are there still people around who instead of having a cgm to monitor they just do the old fashioned way of blood glucose monitoring?

I developed allergies to the adhesive pads used on the Libre so I'm stuck with finger pricks. There is some speculation that Abbott has changed the adhesive due to the number of people filig complaints, but nothing official from the company itself. I have been thinking of trying it again for while now.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I use both.
I finger prick first thing and if my Libre does not reflect how I feel and double check before correcting.
I also take Libre breaks when I find I am getting anxious by the Libre.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Plenty do regular blood tests... NHS have specific criteria to issue cgm

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For me it's cheaper to use the lancet in the finger thing and tesr strips., I cannot get subsidised sensors being a T2, from NDSS.

$1.20 a fortnight for 100 strips from NDSS, against $95.00 for one sensor which is a no brainer.

Abbott Australia have a special on at the moment, two free sensors and order before the end of November, they will give you a free stainless steel water bottle.

jonathan183

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Mainly finger prick test. I have to fund CGM so have only tried a couple of sensors and have one in reserve in case I am ill.
Finger prick is more accurate and faster responding to changes in blood glucose. When I tried the CGM I still used finger prick to determine insulin dosing - did not get accurate enough data from the CGM for that.
I got the CGM to find out what was going on overnight rather than setting alarms and doing a finger prick - go some idea of trends but got pressure lows & false low values when checked against finger prick. I also wanted to find out what happened with exercise as well - tricky to do a finger prick test while cycling ;)

Would be nice to have both available. If I was told I had to pick one it would have to be finger prick based on my limited experience ... ymmv

Reactions: thewestiesmum

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I developed allergies to the adhesive pads used on the Libre so I'm stuck with finger pricks. There is some speculation that Abbott has changed the adhesive due to the number of people filig complaints, but nothing official from the company itself. I have been thinking of trying it again for while now.
Hi. Have you tried a Libre 2 recently? I find no allergic reaction at all yet I am allergic to Tegaderm plasters.

Bubbleblower

BANNED
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
tileshop_pmc_inline.html

This pic shows the effect on HbA1c of continuous vs self monitoring:

upload_2021-11-28_17-16-1.png

It also shows checking bloodglucose more than once a day gives better results than less and so does having a CGM longer. CGM gives much better results than self monitoring.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi. Have you tried a Libre 2 recently? I find no allergic reaction at all yet I am allergic to Tegaderm plasters.

No not yet, a Facebook group that I'm in contains a lot of whingeing about failed (Libre 2) sensors. I've seen posts from people claiming that they've had 3 sensors fail in succession and talking about giving up and going back to finger pricks etc. So I've been put off from trying it.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I have been using Libre2 had several sensors no failures so far touch wood.:)

I do also finger prick if I feel a need to check the sensor reading.

Reactions: urbanracer

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
No not yet, a Facebook group that I'm in contains a lot of whingeing about failed (Libre 2) sensors. I've seen posts from people claiming that they've had 3 sensors fail in succession and talking about giving up and going back to finger pricks etc. So I've been put off from trying it.
I'm on that same group and it talks a lot about allergy in the main with Decom. I've now used about a dozen Libre 2s since I started. None have fallen off or given any allergy but just one gave readings which were unreliable and the occasional data gap which Abbott replaced. Apart from that they have been fine for me. I suspect people's flesh and skin varies a lot.