Gliclazide - Potential Side Effect

LeftPeg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Since being prescribed Gliclazide, I’ve noticed that eggs taste absolutely disgusting, which is a bit of a blow to someone on a low carb diet!

Obviously there could be another cause but I just wondered if anyone else had experienced this.

I know COVID can affect tastebuds but I’ve not knowingly had it.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have no knowledge of Gliclazide, however I did lose my taste and smell with Covid for a month or two. I didn’t find things tasting nasty I just found that food had no taste at all :(

DEBBIESCOTT

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When I started on gliclazide in May all food tasted horrible, now only have 20mg every 5th day & food still doesn’t taste right

Reactions: LeftPeg

KateS14

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't know about Gliclazide, I'm afraid, but Metformin has messed up my taste a bit and eggs now taste horrible. However I cook them, they just taste wrong :( Bit of a blow as they were my breakfast go to!

Reactions: LeftPeg

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I was on Gliclazide for many years and didn't notice and taste change.

DEBBIESCOTT

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’ve read it’s supposed to make you really hungry & put on weight, I’m rarely hungry & weigh exactly the same, just shows were all different

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was on gliclizide for quite a few years, never put on weight in fact I lost 10st whilst on it, didn’t have an impact on my hunger levels either. You need to get your dose and carb level correct otherwise your feeding unnecessary hypos - this is probably where the weight gain thing comes from (in my opinion) I still ate low carb whilst on it - between 70 - 90g carb a day. I now only take metformin and do keto, great for my blood sugars but not my weight as have gained back 2 stone