Newbie living mostly in Malta

sue96

Hi there. I am a newbie to the board. Diagnosed T2 6 years ago. I am British but spend a lot of my year in Malta. I have recently changed to using Levemir insulin after 4 yrs on Byetta. I am currently wondering if airport x-ray machines can damage insulin - comments on the boards here give conflicting opinions. I was getting good control in the UK but the same amounts here, post x-ray, are not controlling me. Hmmmmmm. Would appreciate your further thoughts on this...

Also, I am prescribed to use Levemir and Byetta together but have been left to figure out doses and timings on my own. Would be interested to hear how people in similar situations are getting best control from the combination.

Best wishes, Sue

Grazer

Sorry, can't help as I don't use meds of that nature. Just wanted to say welcome! :thumbup:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
The airport x-ray machines won't damage your insulin but do keep it in your hand luggage when traveling, the temperature in the hull of the planes can drop below freezing which would damage your insulin, if in doubt contact the airline.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi Sue and welcome to the forum :) Ask all the questions you want as someone will always help you. Some members will be along soon to answer your question on using Levemir and Byetta together, telling you about their personal experiences.

sue96

Thanks very much for welcomes and replies so far.

I knew not to put insulin in the aircraft hold, so it was hand luggage only. But I let it go thru the x-ray without thinking and I am definitely needing much more than in the UK now. Nothing else has changed. Very bizarre.