Low carb and normal carb

thewestiesmum

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you do low carb how many carbs do you have per meal?

If you do normal carb how many carbs do you have per meal?

StewM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This is quite an interesting question cause there isn’t really an agreed upon definition for Low Carb (or even lower). I’ve read various things which use lots of different definitions. I’ve seen “Low Carb” in some studies defined as under 225 carbs (which in my personal opinion doesn’t seem particularly Low, at all). I’ve seen normal carb defined as 300 a day, but I’ve also seen it set lower, where it overlaps with some definitions of Low Carb which is where it gets really confusing.

There’s also also Very Low Carb and Keto which I’ve seen used interchangeably, again a precise definition of what this is is quite elusive.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.

In trying to answer your question, let's start with the government's recommended nutrition numbers for a healthy (non-diabetic) person which is 240-250 grams of carbohydrate per day.

As a T1 who has decided to reduce my intake I wouldn't normally have more than 50g per meal, so for me, about 150g per day. Sometimes I am below 100g though. Most people would view this as a moderate carb diet.

To go low carb you probably want to be lower than my intake. We have members consuming less than 50g per day but you will need to work out what's right for you.

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Normal carb here:
Lunch 42gs carbs
Sandwich 30g
Crisps 12g

Dinner 100gs+
Anything once I walk the dog after

Throw in a few coffees with milk and I'd be 150g of carbs per day.

Lot more at weekends with breakfast and beer/wine

jonathan183

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As others have said there are no agreed values ... very low carbohydrate aka keto diets typically need to be under 50g of carbohydrates per day otherwise most people won't get into nutritional ketosis - ketones 0.5mmol/l or higher (but certainly less than 10mmol/l).

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I try not to go over 160 grams of carbs a day, some days it might be less than 100 grams.

My hba1c is within limits so I am quite happy to keep doing it this way.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I'd agree that under 130g is low carb.
As a type 2, testing before and after meals showed I did ok on less than 100g a day and no more than 30g in a single meal - I went down to under 85g a day to get rid of the higher morning reading.
Now I'm in remission I sometimes go up to 120g but usually still aim for 100g.

thewestiesmum

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Breakfast 36g carbs
Toast 36g

Lunch 78g carbs
Sandwich 36g - bread 36g, salmon 0g, cucumber 0g, cherry tomato 0g
Batchelors Cup a soup 15g
2x 2 fingers of kit kat 26g

Dinner 135g

D

Deleted member 543160

I'm a diet controlled T2 with pre-diabetic level HbA1cs. I've found that a limit of under 50g carbs a day will keep my glucose levels more or less where I want them. But I'll often go much lower though and occasionally higher :oops:. I generally eat 2 meals a day and split my carbs between them but not in any particular proportions.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Can you elaborate why you are asking?
We are all different and the appropriate number of carbs is very personal.
With Type 1, the focus is matching insulin to what you eat. Some find this easier with low carb but I find it much more difficult as you need to count different proteins which all require different insulin ratios.

Reactions: thewestiesmum

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ironically I work my daily carbs differently. I have a very low dose basal but add that in with my total daily insulin. If I have gone over 30 units I’ve eaten too many carbs. So if I dare to have pizza then the rest of my daily carbs need to be pretty non existent. I find this helps with weight management too. I also do not eat after 4pm. I can then ensure there is no fast acting on board when I go to bed.

Reactions: urbanracer

thewestiesmum

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Can you elaborate why you are asking?
We are all different and the appropriate number of carbs is very personal.
With Type 1, the focus is matching insulin to what you eat. Some find this easier with low carb but I find it much more difficult as you need to count different proteins which all require different insulin ratios.

Hi,
I was asking because it worries me that I have too many carbs and also when I see others saying they do low or very low carb. I feel guilty when I'm joining in and putting which foods I eat and the carb amounts.
But like you say we are all different.
I've always learned that with type 1 it's all about matching insulin to carbs.
I never think about what is in foods such as protein etc I just eat and enjoy what I'm eating.

Some of my foods
hovis white bread - I only eat brown if I buy a sandwich from a shop
biscuits plain or milk chocolate which I have with a meal so I can include the carbs with my meal
muller corner fruit yogurts

LionChild

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
whisky

Simply, I just think of low carb as a plate full of vegetable salad (a few blueberries & nuts), with a piece of chicken (or other meat)/egg/fish.

High carb is most other foods!

Reactions: thewestiesmum

thewestiesmum

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Simply, I just think of low carb as a plate full of vegetable salad (a few blueberries & nuts), with a piece of chicken (or other meat)/egg/fish.

High carb is most other foods!

And it's most other foods that I have