What does reversal of prediabetes really mean?

Geri Ireland

Hi all

Quick background: I'm waiting on blood results, a hbac1 later in the week,but have been using a blood sugar monitor for the last 10 days and along with my symptoms, the Dr. believes I have prediabetes. (I've had urine infections nearly constantly for the last year, and recent foot trouble in the last few months : calluses,gout, toenail fungus). Basically since the birth of my last child that I'm also nursing, I've been a lot less active and eaten a lot more rubbish.
I've cut out carbs massively though since I realized, as I was so upset at thinking I was heading to diabetes, and from results in the 7-9 region at the start, I've managed to keep to an average of 6.1 for the past week.
I've read a lot of posts here and was wondering, if I maintain these levels, does the prediabetes just go away altogether, and will I reach a state where my symptoms also go and I don't need to keep testing... Or is it permanently there and I'll have to keep tracking levels and restricting carbs etc. for the rest of my life?
I hope this makes sense. It's all new to me and I've found it really stressful trying to track everything and mind my 5 kids.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You have to be careful about claiming a reversal or a cure. If you are taking any steps to lower your blood sugar then the best you can say is that you are controlling it. Presumably a cure would mean you could eat any old junk and still get low blood sugars which few (none of us) can claim once diabetes happens.

I don't remember anyone claiming a cure under the above rules.

Reactions: Geri Ireland

Geri Ireland

You have to be careful about claiming a reversal or a cure. If you are taking any steps to lower your blood sugar then the best you can say is that you are controlling it. Presumably a cure would mean you could eat any old junk and still get low blood sugars which few (none of us) can claim once diabetes happens.

I don't remember anyone claiming a cure under the above rules.

Thanks for your reply, I just genuinely didn't understand what it meant. Dr. Google has been my only source of information and all over the place I see things about reversing prediabetes, but I don't actually know what that means. Controlling then, rather than curing.

cynetique

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It would depends on how you would define reversal, a term which is notoriously difficult to define meaningfully.
My understanding as a lay person is that it would perhaps be safe to speak of reducing the risk of progression to type 2 diabetes, which is often possible with healthy behaviour interventions.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
My view is different. I do not consider junk food to be acceptable to put into my body, the question is do you. I have turned my back on brands, boxes, cereals, breads, takeaways, doughnuts, biscuits, cakes and the like.

The result of eating what I call a species appropriate diet is an NHS Diabetes In Remission stamp on my medical records. I have only registered diabetic blood glucose numbers in the last 2 weeks (after 6 years) during a dose of dexamethasone for Covid treatment - corticosteroids are known to raise blood glucose. Below are some of the readings:

upload_2021-11-28_12-52-11.png

As can be seen once off of the steroids and back to my dietary regime and exercise, normal levels have resumed. I am not prepared to let any food like substances that men and women in white overcoats have concocted together to hit the bliss point impact my health. My diet is Ketovore varied and tasty. I make my own protein bread.

As far as I am concerned I am cured, as I have good fasting (in the lower end of the 4's) and post prandial (circa <5.7 mmol/L) for years now. I will only eat whole foods mostly from local farms.

It is both easy and hard to eat the way I do and many others, but the alternatives always include stacks of ingredients always with at least 2 of the following - oil, sugar and grains.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's a good question. If, to control your blood sugar, you have to do the same as a diabetic then prediabetic doesn't have any meaning. I would hope that you can reduce your blood sugar to a normal level, that prevents a progession to full diabetes, with a relatively modest reduction in carbs.

DEBBIESCOTT

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My view is different. I do not consider junk food to be acceptable to put into my body, the question is do you. I have turned my back on brands, boxes, cereals, breads, takeaways, doughnuts, biscuits, cakes and the like.

The result of eating what I call a species appropriate diet is an NHS Diabetes In Remission stamp on my medical records. I have only registered diabetic blood glucose numbers in the last 2 weeks (after 6 years) during a dose of dexamethasone for Covid treatment - corticosteroids are known to raise blood glucose. Below are some of the readings:

View attachment 52240

As can be seen once off of the steroids and back to my dietary regime and exercise, normal levels have resumed. I am not prepared to let any food like substances that men and women in white overcoats have concocted together to hit the bliss point impact my health. My diet is Ketovore varied and tasty. I make my own protein bread.

As far as I am concerned I am cured, as I have good fasting (in the lower end of the 4's) and post prandial (circa <5.7 mmol/L) for years now. I will only eat whole foods mostly from local farms.

It is both easy and hard to eat the way I do and many others, but the alternatives always include stacks of ingredients always with at least 2 of the following - oil, sugar and grains.
I eat mostly like that too, but don’t get those blood glucose numbers, can you share your recipe for protein bread please & what do you eat before exercise? Thanks

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I eat mostly like that too, but don’t get those blood glucose numbers, can you share your recipe for protein bread please & what do you eat before exercise? Thanks
Nothing wrong with your question, but it is off topic on a thread by a new member.
Can you take it to PM or start a new thread with your question? You can always tag @Mbaker in such a thread. :)