Glimmers of improvement

Rowgirl

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Since my last post I have been significantly reducing my carb intake. My blood sugars have improved from a range of between 8-20mmols, i'm now sitting 7-13 mmols during the day. I'm being much more attentive to shopping. I don't know whether to reduce further? Or continue as I am, and see if the blood sugars will slowly come down? Any advice? I'm trying to put my frustration at the advice from the diabetic nurse who sent me the colour food wheel again! I tried to explain that following that advice doesn't work in reducing my blood sugars.

Rowgirl

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
What are you eating in a typical day?
I'm having greek yoghurt and a few blueberries or pear for breakfast. Yesterday I had chili salmon flakes for lunch. I did have a m&s nuts, seeds +sea salt bar, it had 6.9g per bar. For diner bacon, carrots and Brussels. I'm still loosing weight, now 9stone 5lbs. My metformin was increased 2 weeks ago to 1g twice a day. Although i'm feeling nauseous at times after the metformin, which isn't pleasant. So still a bit of a struggle.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Your numbers are going down, which is encouraging, it is marathon not a sprint.

I would be careful of the pear. I can't tolerate too many carrots either. Test before and 2 hours after the first bite to identify any foods that don't suit you.

Rowgirl

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Your numbers are going down, which is encouraging, it is marathon not a sprint.

I would be careful of the pear. I can't tolerate too many carrots either. Test before and 2 hours after the first bite to identify any foods that don't suit you.
Thank you,

pinkjude

I started low carb after my numbers went up. I bought a meter and started testing before meals and 2 hours after. By a process of elimination I found that bread of any type spikes my levels. I joined the low carb programme and they advocate 30-50g of carbs a day. My lunch is mostly egg based such as veg omlettes, boiled eggs with avocado, scrambled eggs with smoked salmon, lunch is a salad with lots of leaves, olives, then I add peppers, cucumber etc and some good protein such as fish/ chicken/ egg/ tofu/ avocado/ dinner is fish or chicken with leafy green veg/ home made currys/ dals/ shepherds pie etc. You can mash cauliflower for the topping. If you look on you tube/ diet doctor etc lots of recipes. I got a free place on the second nature online course because my GP practice subscribe even though they didnt know they did! I googled it and found that my health authority subscribe and I filled in a form and was offered a free place. If you do look it up be wary that its 10.00 a week otherwise. I double checked my place was free

Rowgirl

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I started off at under 100 carbs a day, and dropped by 20 carbs every second month, that worked for me as far as my glucose numbers went, and it allowed me to slowly change my diet, dropping off things that I felt weren’t worth the carbs as time went by. Read every label before you eat anything, and do remember it is a marathon not a sprint, I’m just over a year in, still learning, and still tweaking my diet.
Thank you, I think i'm still coming to terms with it all. I'm sure i'll slot into a changed diet with time. I used to love cooking and baking, but i've lost the drive at the minute. No christmas cake baked this year. In fact i'm dreading christmas with regards to food. Maybe there's an alternative christmas cake???

Rowgirl

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I started low carb after my numbers went up. I bought a meter and started testing before meals and 2 hours after. By a process of elimination I found that bread of any type spikes my levels. I joined the low carb programme and they advocate 30-50g of carbs a day. My lunch is mostly egg based such as veg omlettes, boiled eggs with avocado, scrambled eggs with smoked salmon, lunch is a salad with lots of leaves, olives, then I add peppers, cucumber etc and some good protein such as fish/ chicken/ egg/ tofu/ avocado/ dinner is fish or chicken with leafy green veg/ home made currys/ dals/ shepherds pie etc. You can mash cauliflower for the topping. If you look on you tube/ diet doctor etc lots of recipes. I got a free place on the second nature online course because my GP practice subscribe even though they didnt know they did! I googled it and found that my health authority subscribe and I filled in a form and was offered a free place. If you do look it up be wary that its 10.00 a week otherwise. I double checked my place was free
Thank you, i'll try the shepherds pie with cauliflower mash. The nausea has gone now, I did take myself back to bed and cry cause I felt rotten and sorry for myself, but i'll get up for a swim and plan some meals. Thank you for the suggestions.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Google anything you fancy just put keto first. Lots of free recipes out there. Celeriac mash is also delicious. Hubby now prefers it to potato. Dry those tears, life will be different.

We can eat cheese and bacon, a life saver so far as I am concerned. If you can't find something, ask here. Chances it's terminology. Sending you a virtual hug.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hmm. Christmas day roast potatoes. The only day I eat them.

Rowgirl

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Google anything you fancy just put keto first. Lots of free recipes out there. Celeriac mash is also delicious. Hubby now prefers it to potato. Dry those tears, life will be different.

We can eat cheese and bacon, a life saver so far as I am concerned. If you can't find something, ask here. Chances it's terminology. Sending you a virtual hug.
Thank you so much for the advice and help.

Rowgirl

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Others may argue against it, but high days and holidays I will have a small piece of birthday cake, and I may even have a couple of roast potatoes with Christmas dinner this year, but I will be back to my usual routine the next day.
Thank you.

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You will be so delighted with the New You that avoiding sugary carby Christtmas food will be neither here nor there. You can still have lots of meat and green leafy veg.
Avoid people who try to ruin your good work by saying one/a little bit won't matter. They are not looking out for your wellbeing but trying to bring you down so they can big themselves up. It is permitted to be severe with them.

Pammypants

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being cold
You will be so delighted with the New You that avoiding sugary carby Christtmas food will be neither here nor there. You can still have lots of meat and green leafy veg.
Avoid people who try to ruin your good work by saying one/a little bit won't matter. They are not looking out for your wellbeing but trying to bring you down so they can big themselves up. It is permitted to be severe with them.
I am using an app called Freshwell, since I have been doing that my HbA1c has dropped from 67 to 55 in ten weeks. Improved my cholesterol levels and stopped taking my meds for arthritis.

Pammypants

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being cold
Since my last post I have been significantly reducing my carb intake. My blood sugars have improved from a range of between 8-20mmols, i'm now sitting 7-13 mmols during the day. I'm being much more attentive to shopping. I don't know whether to reduce further? Or continue as I am, and see if the blood sugars will slowly come down? Any advice? I'm trying to put my frustration at the advice from the diabetic nurse who sent me the colour food wheel again! I tried to explain that following that advice doesn't work in reducing my blood sugars.
Look at Freshwell app it improved my control and I do intermittent fasting with without any hypos. This app is created by local GPS with influence of DrDavid Unwin he is on you tube. Please listen to his videos as it all makes sense. Good luck. The NHS diabetes teams don’t follow low carb but there is LCHF movement happening. Let’s do it and improve our health.

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You have been truly fortunate in your acquaintances (real friends wouldn't do this) if you haven't come across these people. They are the same ones who try to get someone who is giving up smoking to have "just one" cigarette, someone who is dieting for weight loss to have "just one" piece of cake, or someone who is driving to have "just one" drink.

We diabetics need support and understanding, not undermining.

Reactions: Widgets

Rowgirl

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you everyone. I have looked at keto christmas cakes, i'll look to bake one this week. I have also glanced at the Freshwell site, hopefully i'll get some cooking ideas.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have a look at dietdoctor.com. there are thousands of recipes, you should be able to find loads.

MommaE

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Great that you are now feeling inspired to make your cake. Check when you do that how long your cake can be kept for. I think they don’t last as long as traditional Christmas cakes and you may have to make it closer to the date. Could always make one now to try out a recipe and then the “real one” to decorate do closer to Christmas.

Deediabetic

I'm having greek yoghurt and a few blueberries or pear for breakfast. Yesterday I had chili salmon flakes for lunch. I did have a m&s nuts, seeds +sea salt bar, it had 6.9g per bar. For diner bacon, carrots and Brussels. I'm still loosing weight, now 9stone 5lbs. My metformin was increased 2 weeks ago to 1g twice a day. Although i'm feeling nauseous at times after the metformin, which isn't pleasant. So still a bit of a struggle.

I was diagnosed at the end of June and had a really high hba1c of 13.3% or for you UK people 125mmol/mol so my blood sugar levels were reading similar to yours are. I too love to cook and bake and felt very stressed out at my diagnosis. I think I spent the first week periodically breaking out in tears. Everyone who has joined the diabetes club will tell you that it does get better but when you are newly diagnosed, it doesn't seem like what they are saying is true but it is.

It's a huge learning curve and a period of adjustment but we are really lucky to be diagnosed at a time where the world is opening up to low carb lifestyles, where we have the internet, diabetes forums and low carb recipes at our fingertips. Even standard supermarkets are stocking delicious low carb treats for us as well as lower carb options and replacements for dietry staples like breads, pasta, nut milks etc. I used to feel guilty eating fat prior to this. I'm enjoying low carb sausages, pork crackle, cheese, bacon, nuts as part of my regular diet.
I've found breads at my aldi in Australia that offers 5.0 net carbs for two slices. I make low carb flat breads out of golden flaxseed meal. I make low carb pancakes out of ricotta and almond meal. I make my own ***** bear lollies using low calorie jelly powder and gelatin and then dust them in a stevia/erythritol blend icing sugar mixed with citric acid to make them like sour ***** bears. Whatever you fancy eating is a google search away by just adding the term low carb or keto. If you love to cook this us an exciting time because you get to have fun testing new recipes to decide if they are in your 'keep' pile and you can have fun learning an new healthier way to cook for yourself! Im pretty sure that some great keto Christmas cake recipes are out there or you could mix it up by making a delicious keto cheesecake with a nut crust. I used nigellas chocolate pavlova recipe the other day and just subbed the regular sugar for a monkfruit sugar blend. I found the lowest carb cocoa powder I could find in Australia. I then decorated it with delicious cream, fresh raspberries, thin shavings of a keto friendly chocolate and topped it with a sprinkling of toasted almond flakes. It was a hit and everyone at the party wanted the recipe and were surprised that it was traditional sugar free and low carb.

You can definitely do this and in a few months you will feel so full of energy and fabulous because all your diabetes symptoms will get better. My numbers were like yours. I'm now in non diabetic range by way of my hba1c just by losing weight, exercising and cutting carbs. It just takes a little time, some trial and error and a willingness to do the right things for yourself and prioritizing your health. Hugs to you.

Reactions: ziggy_w