What are your exceptable ranges?

Medina27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Seems an obvious topic but rarely asked. Is anything under 10 good enough for you? That's where I'm at right now I think

I used to work between 4 & 7 but my annual blood test seemed too low and hypos were too frequent

Last edited:

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
I tend to aim for 6.1 as that what my pump is set for.. but I don't panic too much if I see upto 9.9.. after that I will take a small correction

After eating it will go higher but I'm nor worried if it heading in the right direction after an hour or so

Reactions: Medina27

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm aiming as low as I can without having frequent hypo's. How low this means I am varies, but I find all numbers acceptable as long as I try my best.
And sometimes I choose to eat or do things I know will mess up my TIR, but if that's a conscious choice it's worth it sometimes for me. On those days I'm not bothered by more highs or lows than usual.
Same goes for days I'm ill, or when I have something else going on which is more important than staying in perfect range all day.
If I'm helping someone move house, driving and walking stairs with heavy stuff all day, I aim for higher numbers than when I have a lazy day on the couch with all the time to pay attention to diabetes.

As for the range I've set on ly Libre, I regularly change it, depending on how well my diabetes is behaving. I like to show it as being in range about 80% of the time.
This allows me to easily see where I can improve without showing as either in range almost all of the time or out of range almost all of the time. Seeing I'm out of range all day doesn't improve my mood, and doesn't help improving my diabetes, it's useless. Same goes for seeing that I'm in range all day.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My pump's automode is set to aim for 6.7 (and this is not changeable at all except for a temp setting of 8.3 for exercise)
My target range is 4-10 on my pump's automode (not changeable), and I try to stay within those values but life is life and kinda gets in the way :)

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
Personally?
Anything twix 4.8 & 7.8.
Lol, my threshold is set for the libre is more generous.. I only use a low alarm set at 3.9 so I can nudge back into the "zone" if need be. Pending on what's trending..

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
After years of blood sugars way above 11 I now set my libre range between 5 and 9 ! My Hb1ac is in the low 50s now instead of high 90s my diabetic consultant is happy so am I, bs does sometimes go above 10 but it is now the exception rather than the rule , i don’t try to keep my range so tight that all I would do is check sugars , I do respect my diabetes but I’m not a slave to it.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I aim for 4 to 5.3 mmol/l but expect to spike after eating and return to this range 5 hours later.

Reactions: jonathan183

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
My dexcom is set for 4 to 10 (with an alarm at 4.4) but I'm like @Antje77 and just do the best I can, (which is not very good at the moment because my basal needs have drastically changed and I'm still playing catch up, need to do some serious basal testing.)

I think I'm pretty much in the same situation as @Medina27 (when my basal is right, which it isn't at the moment). I have a hstory of losing hypo awareness if I have too many hypos, so the dexcom alarm is a lifesaver for me.

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
I aim for 10 to 3.9. I've just about eliminated any lengthy hypos as I've set an alarm at 5mmol and usually manage to head them off with a couple of jelly babies. Still tend to go a bit high after evening meal on occasion, but as I said to my consulant endocrinologist that's just down to stupidity on my part; she killed herself laughing. I've just uploaded my last 2 week of data and average glucose is 6.7 mmol/L.
AGP Nov.jpg

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes I’m happy with being under 10 but prefer to be bouncing along in the 5s. Avoiding rising after eating is pretty impossible even for non diabetics, but I like to be back down pretty quick. Have been in that range 91% in the last 90 days. Though I like to keep Libre set between 3.9 and 8.5 to keep me on my toes.

LionChild

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
whisky
Seems an obvious topic but rarely asked. Is anything under 10 good enough for you? That's where I'm at right now I think

I used to work between 4 & 7 but my annual blood test seemed too low and hypos were too frequent

I am comfortable with keeping within a range of around 4.9----8.8. Either side of that I take some kind of action.

annliggins

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
6-10 thats me ...happy if i can manage around 10 or 11 . 80 % in range will do me fine , happy for peeps who can do the 4-6 but theres not enough wriggle room for me on 4 . Keep the faith folks

Reactions: EllieM