Covid after vaccinations

bazza1966

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I have had both vaccinations and the booster just over a week ago. This week I felt really I’ll with flu like symptoms and tested positive for covid both on lateral flow and PCR. I have had it for 5 days and feel drained, zero energy, hardly eating. I would be interested in anyone who has been through this and what they did to keep their diabetes in check. I don’t have CGM or a pump and I am really struggling to get close to single digits (old school blood numbers). Any advice greatly appreciated

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
My advice is too get an Sp02 monitor to ensure your blood oxygen stays around 94.

Soplewis12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Grumpy People
I am type 1 & had covid just over a year ago when I used insulin pens. My glucose levels were very erratic with covid, strangely a lot of lows and a lot of highs. I just took a correction dose to bring the highs back in to range & treated the lows. It was erratic for about 10 days.
Hope you're on the mend soon

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My advice is too get an Sp02 monitor to ensure your blood oxygen stays around 94.
If you have dark skin, as in your avitar, did you find that an oximeter gave an accurate reading? There was some suggestion in the media that they didn't.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
If you have dark skin, as in your avitar, did you find that an oximeter gave an accurate reading? There was some suggestion in the media that they didn't.
The hospital professional unit read a point higher than my home unit, and was instant. My home unit takes longer to get to the highest number, but not for my wife who is white.

I bought a Samsung Galaxy Watch 4 which tracks perfectly with home unit ultimate numbers, but is much quicker. I also bought a Garmin Vivoactive 4s as it does all day blood oxygen measurements. This is reading 2 points lower than the Samsung watch and manual unit. So I am wearing 2 watches for the SP02.

A bit like blood glucose monitoring, accuracy is nice, but I am more interested in what my norm is, so I can notice any material change.

Last edited:

LionChild

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
whisky
Hi I have had both vaccinations and the booster just over a week ago. This week I felt really I’ll with flu like symptoms and tested positive for covid both on lateral flow and PCR. I have had it for 5 days and feel drained, zero energy, hardly eating. I would be interested in anyone who has been through this and what they did to keep their diabetes in check. I don’t have CGM or a pump and I am really struggling to get close to single digits (old school blood numbers). Any advice greatly appreciated

Apart from supporting the advice already given, I'd just add that I understand that the booster won't actually protect until after two weeks.