HIGH DIASTOLIC

LionChild

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
whisky
My Diastolic BP has recently gone up quite dramatically, and my Systolic has come down quite a bit, (but still often in the 130s). I know BP is very important and as you get older it tends to go up, but this is a bit concerning....
For example, yesterday I had several readings with a diastolic in the 90s.
Apart from Beta blockers or other drugs, (I am not on any medication for this so far), has anyone any tips on what I might do to bring it down. Total cholesterol is quite high too, ---last measurement several months ago, 5.8, but the ratios seem okay which as I understand it, means it is not a problem..
I go for a half hour walk or more most days; eat very healthily (mostly very low carb diet); don't smoke; glass of red wine most days with evening meal; I am not overweight....
I don't think there is much more I can do to help this high BP.
I wondered if too much coffee (2 cups caffeinated a day?) might have an affect, so I stopped that last week, but it has made no difference to the measurement of BP.
Would red wine have an impact on it? Anyone know? Should I stop that too?
Any opinions out there, or even knowledge of this subject of blood pressure?

Struma

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Other
Sounds to me like you’re doing all you can do, and may be a little bit of something medication wise is the most sensible thing. Of course the last thing you want to do is push you to postural hypertension.
In the 130's is fairly good, in the 90's for diastolic is really too high. You might consider meditation or relaxation time, they really help some people.
You might find something useful in the following:
https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ng...s-diagnosis-and-management-pdf-66141722710213

Reactions: LionChild

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
You will not be popular to be around but try 2 cloves of garlic (real not garlic powder). This will not fix the underlying issue but should drop your numbers by a significant amount.

Another proven option (by fighter pilots) is to use hand grips, these are the ones I use

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Digital-Dy...ocphy=9045047&hvtargid=pla-497546745032&psc=1

Here's how to use:
https://www.camryscalestore.com/blogs/camry/isometric-exercises-to-reduce-blood-pressure

Both interventions widen arteries to bring down pressure.

mike944

I've just been working on my blood pressure and had great results with cutting salt and adding fresh fruit, bananas for potassium, veg, nuts. I thought my salt take was reasonable until I did a stock take and realised it was horrendous. Effervescent tablets (pain killers and vitamins) in the bin. Cuppa soups I was drinking like tea, very high salt. No processed food. Took about 4 days to kick in.

Last edited:

LionChild

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
whisky
I've just been working on my blood pressure and had great results with cutting salt and adding fresh fruit, bananas for potassium, veg, nuts. I thought my salt take was reasonable until I did a stock take and realised it was horrendous. Effervescent tablets (pain killers and vitamins) in the bin. Cuppa soups I was drinking like tea, very high salt. No processed food. Took about 4 days to kick in.

Thanks Mike, very much. I don't think salt is a problem with me as I eat mostly only fresh vegetables, and hardly anything with added salt. I have a variety of nuts every day, but tend to avoid fruit most of the time except for blueberries.
I am pretty sure there will be no relationship between the effervescent tablets you mention and the fact that I drink a cup or two of sparkling water just to stave off feelings of hunger in the mornings...I don't think that would contribute to high blood pressure would it? Quite innocent surely?

I can't expect you to be an expert on this subject, in terms of every aspect. However, it might be worth mentioning that...

I am wondering whether any of the other supplements might be unhelpful? For instance I take the recommended supplement amount of zinc, 4000 iu Vitamin D3, Sterols and Stanols for Cholesterol, B-50, Fish oil tablets, Magnesium. I hope none of these might be causing raise in BP...

A1c is okay, generally under 48, not more than 47.

However BP has been in the 140s often (though very variable), (SYSTOLIC), for years, but the diastolic has always been pretty good, around 80, until the last few weeks...

LionChild

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
whisky
You will not be popular to be around but try 2 cloves of garlic (real not garlic powder). This will not fix the underlying issue but should drop your numbers by a significant amount.

Another proven option (by fighter pilots) is to use hand grips, these are the ones I use

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Digital-Dy...ocphy=9045047&hvtargid=pla-497546745032&psc=1

Here's how to use:
https://www.camryscalestore.com/blogs/camry/isometric-exercises-to-reduce-blood-pressure

Both interventions widen arteries to bring down pressure.

Thanks Mbaker, I will certainly look at this handgrips thing!
I have being putting powdered garlic on my salads when I remember, but yes, the real thing might be more effective. But I wonder whether just changing the numbers is sufficient? If the impact on the system remains to be harmful (I really don't know how this works), will it really affect my health advantageously to have lowered numbers?

LionChild

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
whisky
Sounds to me like you’re doing all you can do, and may be a little bit of something medication wise is the most sensible thing. Of course the last thing you want to do is push you to postural hypertension.
In the 130's is fairly good, in the 90's for diastolic is really too high. You might consider meditation or relaxation time, they really help some people.
You might find something useful in the following:
https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ng...s-diagnosis-and-management-pdf-66141722710213

Thank you Struma, I have tried the relaxation thing, but I think I would have to spend quite a lot of time meditating or doing body scanning etc, for this to really make a difference. I did for a while lie down everyday for about half and hour, and yes, actually often fell asleep, but it ate into my day so much it seemed ridiculous. And when I wasn't doing this, mostly I was conscious of a lot of tension in my body still....although it is true I became more aware too of this. So, it is a free method, should help, and worth doing.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thanks Mbaker, I will certainly look at this handgrips thing!
I have being putting powdered garlic on my salads when I remember, but yes, the real thing might be more effective. But I wonder whether just changing the numbers is sufficient? If the impact on the system remains to be harmful (I really don't know how this works), will it really affect my health advantageously to have lowered numbers?
I used to have essential hypertension. Whilst I was trying to work out why, I took these measures. It will always be better in my view to naturally lower both sets of numbers; which is what the device and garlic do - you need the allicin in real garlic, powder doesn't cut it. Celery is another asset to use.

You are already attempting to look after your numbers, which I would suggest you keep doing, eating well, exercise, sleep well (very important), find time for relaxation.

I am more insulin sensitive now so also eat beetroot at least 5 days a week. So I am at 118 / 70 at 54 years old from a West Indian background (tend to run higher blood pressure). I walk circa 7 miles a day, and resistance train moderately hard.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thanks Mike, very much. I don't think salt is a problem with me as I eat mostly only fresh vegetables, and hardly anything with added salt. I have a variety of nuts every day, but tend to avoid fruit most of the time except for blueberries.
I am pretty sure there will be no relationship between the effervescent tablets you mention and the fact that I drink a cup or two of sparkling water just to stave off feelings of hunger in the mornings...I don't think that would contribute to high blood pressure would it? Quite innocent surely?

I can't expect you to be an expert on this subject, in terms of every aspect. However, it might be worth mentioning that...

I am wondering whether any of the other supplements might be unhelpful? For instance I take the recommended supplement amount of zinc, 4000 iu Vitamin D3, Sterols and Stanols for Cholesterol, B-50, Fish oil tablets, Magnesium. I hope none of these might be causing raise in BP...

A1c is okay, generally under 48, not more than 47.

However BP has been in the 140s often (though very variable), (SYSTOLIC), for years, but the diastolic has always been pretty good, around 80, until the last few weeks...
Salt only affects a small part of the population and only by a few points. I use LoSalt which has an appropriate balance of potassium and sodium.

mike944

I mentioned effervescent tablets because they can be a big source of sodium. I don't see any relationship between them and carbonated water.

I was exceeding my sodium intake on Solpadeine tablets alone then add on top vitamin c tablets and other dietary sources. Something I didn't realise.

I've basically been on a salt detox and seeing a significant drop. Don't intend to stay so low on salt for that long. I've just become incredibly aware of hidden salt and high salt foods. Once BP has fully settled I intend to simply hope to maintain going forward with a more realistic salt profile

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
I take a beetroot supplement and I think for me it dropped my BP, also weight loss for me and low carb. Garlic is a good idea as I take that too

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
My Diastolic BP has recently gone up quite dramatically, and my Systolic has come down quite a bit, (but still often in the 130s). I know BP is very important and as you get older it tends to go up, but this is a bit concerning....
For example, yesterday I had several readings with a diastolic in the 90s.
Apart from Beta blockers or other drugs, (I am not on any medication for this so far), has anyone any tips on what I might do to bring it down. Total cholesterol is quite high too, ---last measurement several months ago, 5.8, but the ratios seem okay which as I understand it, means it is not a problem..
I go for a half hour walk or more most days; eat very healthily (mostly very low carb diet); don't smoke; glass of red wine most days with evening meal; I am not overweight....
I don't think there is much more I can do to help this high BP.
I wondered if too much coffee (2 cups caffeinated a day?) might have an affect, so I stopped that last week, but it has made no difference to the measurement of BP.
Would red wine have an impact on it? Anyone know? Should I stop that too?
Any opinions out there, or even knowledge of this subject of blood pressure?

How are you checking your BP, when and where?

The reason I ask is that at my last checkup I was flagged with high blood pressure and they then gave me a form to take regular readings at home and then send the form in.

I have my own BP monitor but don't use it much.

Anyway the instructions are to sit upright for 30 minutes without any exertion, then take readings with your arm at the level of your heart.
Repeat the readings.

I noticed that the first reading was always quite high (fiddling with the cuff and getting the monitor set up just right) and then the next two readings came down nicely into the normal range.

Over the week of monitoring my BP was just fine.

You have to be very careful when and where you test.
White coats make my BP surge.
Exercise, coffee, all sorts of stuff can give you a temporary spike.
You need to relax and chill for a while to get a proper baseline reading

LionChild

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
whisky
How are you checking your BP, when and where?

The reason I ask is that at my last checkup I was flagged with high blood pressure and they then gave me a form to take regular readings at home and then send the form in.

I have my own BP monitor but don't use it much.

Anyway the instructions are to sit upright for 30 minutes without any exertion, then take readings with your arm at the level of your heart.
Repeat the readings.

I noticed that the first reading was always quite high (fiddling with the cuff and getting the monitor set up just right) and then the next two readings came down nicely into the normal range.

Over the week of monitoring my BP was just fine.

You have to be very careful when and where you test.
White coats make my BP surge.
Exercise, coffee, all sorts of stuff can give you a temporary spike.
You need to relax and chill for a while to get a proper baseline reading

Thanks for your response Little Grey Cat!
Yes, I usually wait a bit before doing my own blood pressure test, but not usually as long as half an hour. Doesn't that tell us something about the accuracy of BP taken in the doctor's surgery then? I mean usually there is no pause, no preparation, straight in, and often only done once whereas I understand it should be done at least twice consecutively...?

I have been exercising more in terms of walking I mean, and my BP has actually come down significantly it would seem as a direct result of that. I have not seen any more diastolics in the 90s since two weeks ago... The systolic has also tended to be lower, even 107, 118, that kind of level a few times. And one diastolic was 75!

I will try the garlic cloves though, have given up coffee for now, and red wine. I don't know if giving up the red wine has made any difference. I tend to think the difference is because of walking more, well, more briskly, probably...?

I read that variable blood pressure is also NOT GOOD however, and can be predictive of dementia.

Oh dear.

Oh well.

Onward and upward. What else can a girl do?!

Reactions: Struma