Libre accuracy

DEBBIESCOTT

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Anybody else having problems with libra accuracy
Put a new libre 2 sensor in last Wednesday lunchtime & activated it Thursday afternoon, apart from the 1st reading of the day all readings were 3.4 higher than glucose meter. Rang Abbott’s on Saturday & they’re replacing it. Put a libre 1 sensor in & started it, it’s been reading 2.5 higher than blood test.
Went to the gym this morning after workout it said 13.6, blood test said 8.4, it’s still reading 2.5 higher than it actually is, rang Abbotts again & they’re replacing this as well, so frustrating when they’re on prescription & you can only have 2 a month, I know they’re not totally accurate but never used to be this bad

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I discovered a few years ago that the algorithm Abbott use for their factory calibration does not match me. Thankfully, unofficial apps such as Glimp and xDrip use a different algorithm which allows calibration against finger pricks. Calibrating at least once a day when my levels are steady, gives me much closer readings so I have not used the official app since, am confident to use Libre and never needed to call Abbott about inaccurate sensors.

Reactions: DEBBIESCOTT

mike944

I found about 2.5 to 3 mmol difference between my libre and my reader at the lower end. I've ended up trusting the libre over the blood reader as I can feel hypo symptoms when the blood reader is telling me I should be fine. Looking forward to my next blood test to see if the estimated A1C is close or not.

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Have found Libre 2 okish sometimes, but the last 2 have jumped about all over the place, and xdrip isn't as good with Libre 2 as Libre 1 for me.

LionChild

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
whisky
Put a new libre 2 sensor in last Wednesday lunchtime & activated it Thursday afternoon, apart from the 1st reading of the day all readings were 3.4 higher than glucose meter. Rang Abbott’s on Saturday & they’re replacing it. Put a libre 1 sensor in & started it, it’s been reading 2.5 higher than blood test.
Went to the gym this morning after workout it said 13.6, blood test said 8.4, it’s still reading 2.5 higher than it actually is, rang Abbotts again & they’re replacing this as well, so frustrating when they’re on prescription & you can only have 2 a month, I know they’re not totally accurate but never used to be this bad

I am not aware of this 2 a month rule. I usually ask for 6 sensors and get 6. It seems to me your doctor is making up his/her own rules!

It seems to me a much better arrangement to have a number of sensors with one prescription because as we all know, sometimes the sensors are duds, and we need to have them replaced. I would put this to your doctor, and see if you can have at least 4 each time?

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am not aware of this 2 a month rule. I usually ask for 6 sensors and get 6. It seems to me your doctor is making up his/her own rules!
I am only able to order two sensors on prescription at a time but I can order another two a week later to ensure I have spares. I am very conscious of times when there has been a shortage so I don't stockpile as that would make it difficult for others to get hold of - I just place a new prescription request when I am down to one in my drawer.
My pharmacy is small so I know they don't stock many at a time - they may even order on demand.

xdrip isn't as good with Libre 2 as Libre 1 for me.
That's interesting.
What problems do you find and what method do you use for connection? I was delighted to get rid of my Miaomiao and use OOP2 to hijack the Bluetooth connection. I have been doing this since the start of the year and found it as good as Libre 1.

LionChild

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
whisky
It may be that high anxiety levels are taken into account when my doctor takes on board my requests for 6 sensors. I would find 2 at a time a problem as transport is difficult for me too, and would involve too much to-ing and fro-ing. I know my chemist orders in the sensors and it all seems to work straightforwardly anyway.

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
When I asked my GP a couple of years ago if I could be prescribed a CGM I was told I didn't stand a chance as my control was ok , But after reading comments on the forum I am wondering is it worth me even asking again as lots of you seem to have so many problems with it giving wrong readings and sensor failures which must be costing the NHS a fortune , Are there some good stories ?

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I can only order 2 a month, the gp won't prescribe it, if I try to order early.

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That's interesting.
What problems do you find and what method do you use for connection? I was delighted to get rid of my Miaomiao and use OOP2 to hijack the Bluetooth connection. I have been doing this since the start of the year and found it as good as Libre 1.

I use OOP2 as well with xdrip. The problems I'm finding are that it's not very accurate, and also can for sample be 2.0 above finger prick test, then the next one 0.4 above, then 1.6 above, or equally any number below. Last sensor tended to read low, this one tending to read high. Sometimes the figures on the Libre scanner is more accurate, but again all over the place. I was dosing insulin from Libre 1, but can't rely on Libre 2 to feel confident to do this.

Heathero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Debbie I have recently had the same happen 2 faulty reading high in a row. Both were replaced but I was wondering if pump faulty second time. Never happened before odd one fallen off. Find Libre 2 much more accurate especially when just started. With highs and lows / unexpected especially I generally do a blood test.

DEBBIESCOTT

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I discovered a few years ago that the algorithm Abbott use for their factory calibration does not match me. Thankfully, unofficial apps such as Glimp and xDrip use a different algorithm which allows calibration against finger pricks. Calibrating at least once a day when my levels are steady, gives me much closer readings so I have not used the official app since, am confident to use Libre and never needed to call Abbott about inaccurate sensors.
Thanks, I have to use the libre app so my DSN & doctor has access to it

DEBBIESCOTT

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I found about 2.5 to 3 mmol difference between my libre and my reader at the lower end. I've ended up trusting the libre over the blood reader as I can feel hypo symptoms when the blood reader is telling me I should be fine. Looking forward to my next blood test to see if the estimated A1C is close or not.
Thanks for replying I’ve been up to 18 & down to 2.4 on glucose machine & never felt any different, no awareness whatsoever

DEBBIESCOTT

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

It seems to me a much better arrangement to have a number of sensors with one prescription because as we all know, sometimes the sensors are duds, and we need to have them replaced. I would put this to your doctor, and see if you can have at least 4 each time?
I order them online, can only order 2 & there’s always a date on there when you can order again

DEBBIESCOTT

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Debbie I have recently had the same happen 2 faulty reading high in a row. Both were replaced but I was wondering if pump faulty second time. Never happened before odd one fallen off. Find Libre 2 much more accurate especially when just started. With highs and lows / unexpected especially I generally do a blood test.
Thanks for replying, I’ve found libre 1’s to be more accurate, or maybe they weren’t & I was in target range 100% of the time & wasn’t doing finger pricks, this new one is 3.4 over on first reading of the day, haven’t got any more sensors so leaving it in & pricking my fingers

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks, I have to use the libre app so my DSN & doctor has access to it
You can use xDrip AND the LibreLInk app provided the official app has turned off Bluetooth.
I tried it for a while before my last appointment. It worked but I was out of the habit of scanning as I am used to xDrip showing my level on the home screen of my phone. And it seemed a bit pointless because I knew the LibreLink values were off.
Thankfully, my team don't check my Libre graphs - they are satisfied I know what I am doing.

LionChild

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
whisky
I order them online, can only order 2 & there’s always a date on there when you can order again

That's interesting. Well I think then I will continue to order via my GP on the phone!

LionChild

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
whisky
I am only able to order two sensors on prescription at a time but I can order another two a week later to ensure I have spares. I am very conscious of times when there has been a shortage so I don't stockpile as that would make it difficult for others to get hold of - I just place a new prescription request when I am down to one in my drawer.
My pharmacy is small so I know they don't stock many at a time - they may even order on demand.

That's interesting.

Even Boots would have to order in, and that shop was in no way small. So it seems to me that generally that is what most chemists do.

Heathero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for replying, I’ve found libre 1’s to be more accurate, or maybe they weren’t & I was in target range 100% of the time & wasn’t doing finger pricks, this new one is 3.4 over on first reading of the day, haven’t got any more sensors so leaving it in & pricking my fingers
I would do the same in your situation. Sometimes faulty batches occur have you check batch numbers? Hope things improve for you .

DEBBIESCOTT

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would do the same in your situation. Sometimes faulty batches occur have you check batch numbers? Hope things improve for you .
Thank you, they were definitely different batch numbers, 1st one was a libre 2 sent by abbots to replace a faulty sensor, the other was a 1 from the local pharmacy,