Disappointed at hba1c

Jo123

I joined this forum in 2009 when I had a fasting blood sugar that put me as prediabetic.
I was devastated as I was slim and exercised. I had the blood test as I was having, what in hindsight were diabetic symptoms. Thank goodness with help from this forum I discovered the truth about carbs and achieved a normal reading in three months.

I’ve had hba1c’s done regularly by my gp, missed one last year, they’ve all been good, the highest has been 36, I think.

I’ve just had a result of39! I’m shocked, shall I just go back to testing before and after eating? I’ve not long been on amlodipine, does this have any impact on blood sugar?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Testing for a week could be very enlightening.. do you think you have had carb creep?

Do you test your blood pressure at home I had "high BP" when tested at the surgery but home readings showed it was "white coat syndrome" so meds weren't required (not that I would have taken them anyway).

Reactions: Jo123

Jo123

Testing for a week could be very enlightening.. do you think you have had carb creep?

Do you test your blood pressure at home I had "high BP" when tested at the surgery but home readings showed it was "white coat syndrome" so meds weren't required (not that I would have taken them anyway).

thank you for your reply.

I do test my bp at home, I have a cardiac thing where I have to keep my bp under really good control, so I hesitate to interfere with the tablets. I’m seeing my cardiologist in a couple of months, I’ll have a 24 hour bp monitoring done first, so I can see how my bp is then.

I don’t think I’ve had carb creep, I think my carb tolerance has got worse! I’m going to do some intensive testing this week.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
To be absolutely honest, there is very little difference between and HbA1c of 36 and one of 39. They are always rounded to the nearest full number, and there is an error range in them. I would simply advise you to keep the carbs down. This could also help with your heart issues. There is no harm in testing before and after meals to keep an eye on things.

Reactions: AGC_68 and Jo123
D

Deleted member 543160

I agree with @Bluetit1802.

There are issues other than your diet which can affect glucose levels and some of these may well be beyond our control (stress, illness, pain, some medications,,,) so HbA1cs can and do go up slightly as well as down - as I've discovered from my results over the last 8 years. I'd only start to be concerned if I saw a continuous and unaccountable upwards trend rather than an occasional fairly minor higher blip.