Type 2 Milk

Zilsniggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all question. Do you use semi skimmed, skimmed or almond milk? Which would you recommend?

Really, milk is full of lactose, which is a sugar. It therefore has the same effect on blood sugar. I would switch to a low or zero carb alternative.

Reactions: pinky_69

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
I use unsweetened almound milk.... almost no carbs at all. 1.5gs per cup full.

Depends on what you want to use it for, in tea or coffee it probably would taste like a cup of yuck, but on it's own with some stevia to sweeten and sugar free chocolate powder or cocao, it tastes pretty good to me as a low carb shake.

Reactions: pinky_69

finsit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree that lactose free Alpro has lowest carbs in the market about 2.6 gm/100. I use that and single cream. However, minding my LDL (that Im still not sure being high is good or bad) i am thinking of ditching cream and using only the alpro full fat lacto free milk. My question @bulkbiker is can i use like 100 ml in a cup 3-4 times a day. How much you guys can use without affecting your BG, anyone tried it on CGM or any data that i can look particularly on the milk ?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My question @bulkbiker is can i use like 100 ml in a cup 3-4 times a day. How much you guys can use without affecting your BG, anyone tried it on CGM or any data that i can look particularly on the milk ?

Its not milk... but I suggest you try it and see..

I have zero interest in putting a fake plant based drink in my body.

Or do you mean Arla lactofree milk?

In that case I've virtually stopped using that and go for double cream in everything these days.

Reactions: finsit

Zeddedhed

I drink the Area Lactofree full fat and I've not noticed any spiking or other significant changes in BG. I take it in tea and coffee, along with the occasional monster swig at the fridge door.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Almond "juice" tends to have around 2% almonds - what!

For me a big scam, like the rest of the faux food.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use skimmed milk as it has less fat percentage. However my entire day's milk consumption is less than half a litre.
500ml of milk has about 25g of carbohydrate. For many people that would be a significant part of their daily total.

Reactions: alanboo

finsit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

In that case I've virtually stopped using that and go for double cream in everything these days.
Thanks. yes i meant Arla lacto free as it has 2.6 gm carbs per 100 ml. I am just trying to reduce dairy fats as much as i could.

jonathan183

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Switched from semi-skimmed to full fat milk ... I think the body is probably better able to cope with the combination of sugar and fat rather than sugar alone. Later I switched to double cream in coffee and have not had milk since :) The only thing I find is I need to leave the water to cool a bit more for cream than I used to for milk.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No actually 2 weeks back my cholesterol levels were slightly elevated so i have reduced fat intake slightly
The bulk of cholesterol is made by our own body, what we consume is just a small percentage. (Hence my having somewhere between 2 to 4 eggs a day is not a problem. ;) With bacon. And ham.) Did you get all your numbers and the ratio and whatnot? Or just total cholesterol?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No actually 2 weeks back my cholesterol levels were slightly elevated so i have reduced fat intake slightly

Relatively pointless exercise as your body makes its own cholesterol and will regulate it to the level it wants.
Also cholesterol levels are extremely dynamic so a reading from 2 weeks ago is fairly meaningless.
Did you have a full lipid panel or just a "total cholesterol level"?

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I use unsweetened almond milk and Alpro UHT soya cream.

Babble

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I like milky Tea and Full Fat cows milk has no affect on my blood sugars, that makes a change!

Reactions: hatsoff

PaulAshby

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I buy a 568ml container and pour at least 3/4 of it away every week, so not an issue for me.

If you consume a lot of Milk then certainly, 45% less Carb is certainly a factor to think about.

Does it cost more ?, I am a tight wad :bag:..............the wife bought me organic the other week........60p instead of 50p.......... :eek:

(Post edited by moderator, removing inappropriate joke)

PaulAshby

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Have you seen the hell that cow's and their calf's go through so you can throw 3/4 of the milk away?

LAR

Type of diabetes
Type 2

MillieRose

Hi all question. Do you use semi skimmed, skimmed or almond milk? Which would you recommend?

I stick with unsweetened soya milk for the most part (I'm intolerant to cows milk, lactofree doesn't help in my case cause it's not the lactose that's the problem with me), although I will also use almond milk for some recipies. I've heard conflcting advice on whats best for blood sugar control though.