BG dropped from 11.2 to 3.9 after HIIT..normal?

Jaymac1415

Hi

This is my first post so be gentle please!

I was diagnosed 3 months ago...A1C 62 ..eek!

Set about losing weight and adjusting my diet. Cut out non-veg carbs completely for 2 months and finger prick BG tests (broadly) stayed within pere diabetes or non diabetic ranges on waking and post meals.

Having lost 14kg in 12 weeks I thought I would do some experimentation to inform my questions for the nurse...but I would welcome any comments on the following:

Seeded bread cheese sandwich (maybe 150g home made sourdough) ...90 mins later BG 11.2. Immediately did a 15 minute HIIT row (1 min row 30s rest) on my home machine and immediately afterwards my BG was 3.9.

Is this normal or is this as unhealthy as it looks? I.e. 11.2 way to high...3.9 too low?

Is a range that wide in 15 -20 mins even possible.or did I make a mistake...e.g not wash hands correctly?

Thanks so.mich for.any insight/experience.

J

LeftPeg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I remember once going from 16mmol/l to 4.2mmol/l in reasonably short order, and got hypo symptoms to boot. I think occasionally the struggling pancreas might still occasionally burst back into life.

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, welcome, I have to be very careful with any exercise, a dog walk makes me drop like a stone, I’ve had to start taking my fast acting insulin in two halves at work because I don’t know what will be happening or how much I will be moving in the next twenty minutes. I have read exercise can lower our insulin resistance.

Jaymac1415

I think occasionally the struggling pancreas might still occasionally burst into life
Ha! I hope it can be pressed to be a bit more consistent! I was really shocked by speed of it....I doubt this means we can have a sandwich/bowl of pasta and do a quick bust of hard exercise and be ok? I guess the issue is going to low....I've never knowingly gone hypo before and didn't get symptoms this time

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Cool, well I wouldn’t worry about your 3.9 in fact I’d be very happy with it.

not sure your pancreas not working correctly or bursting into life is the problem, as a T2 you are likely enjoying plenty of insulin production but unable to use it efficiently, the exercise may be allowing your body to work correctly, now all you have to do is exercise 24 hours a day and your golden :)

I’m no expert, feel free to ignore

Reactions: DEBBIESCOTT

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Hahaha ....24 hours a day exercise certainly COULD be a solution it seems...also no time to eat bread

Yes of course you are right T1 vs T2 ...I'm still getting used to this stuff...

Time.to get a dog maybe ;)
You are doing terrific :)

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
11.2 way to high...3.9 too low

11.2 defintiely too high ...3.9 pretty ok

Looks like your mad burst of exercise used up the excessive blood glucose pretty quickly.
Best not to have the bread though then you can be a lazy slob like me...

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Welcome to the forum @Jaymac1415
Looks like you learned a couple of important lessons from your experiment
Exercise = good
Bread. =. Bad

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi

This is my first post so be gentle please!

I was diagnosed 3 months ago...A1C 62 ..eek!

Set about losing weight and adjusting my diet. Cut out non-veg carbs completely for 2 months and finger prick BG tests (broadly) stayed within pere diabetes or non diabetic ranges on waking and post meals.

Having lost 14kg in 12 weeks I thought I would do some experimentation to inform my questions for the nurse...but I would welcome any comments on the following:

Seeded bread cheese sandwich (maybe 150g home made sourdough) ...90 mins later BG 11.2. Immediately did a 15 minute HIIT row (1 min row 30s rest) on my home machine and immediately afterwards my BG was 3.9.

Is this normal or is this as unhealthy as it looks? I.e. 11.2 way to high...3.9 too low?

Is a range that wide in 15 -20 mins even possible.or did I make a mistake...e.g not wash hands correctly?

Thanks so.mich for.any insight/experience.

J

Hi, your last question is possible, however it all depends on the circumstances.
There are a couple of conditions where glucose levels rise quickly, for example, glucose dumping or the initial insulin response is not enough to cope with the glucose derived from the carbs.
Exercise can deplete energy levels quickly and when they dip towards hypo levels, what happens is you will receive a boost of glucose from your liver to replenish the energy you will require to carry on. And if again the insulin isn't available, you will spike really high and quickly again.

I am in a similar situation, I would be ill with hypos, if I did too much, other than housework and walking, that is it!

There will be other T2s, that have had the same experience.

And the start of finding a way to control it, is by having tests. And finding a balanced lifestyle of exercise, diet and in good health.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Assuming you are Type 2 3.9 is fine. You may feel peculiar at first but it becomes natural after a shortwhile.

I would get rid of grains even sour dough, this can be replaced with Maria Emmerich's "Protein Bread". This is around 80% as good in texture and taste stakes as regular bread, which is the down side. On the upside it is essentially protein, enables sandwiches with no spikes.

Jaymac1415

Oh I have heard of this protein bread.i will give it a go! I've been making my own bread since I was a little girl so this is a big wrench for me. Thanks everyone!