Which monitors do the NHS prescribe?

T2&confused

If you’ve been prescribed a blood glucose monitor from your GP what make is it please?

I’ve bought a Sinocare Safe-Accu 2 but am getting very strange readings which are making me question it’s accuracy - I’d like to use an NHS approved one instead but my GP won’t prescribe me one. Thanks!

Hertfordshiremum

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
If you’ve been prescribed a blood glucose monitor from your GP what make is it please?

I’ve bought a Sinocare Safe-Accu 2 but am getting very strange readings which are making me question it’s accuracy - I’d like to use an NHS approved one instead but my GP won’t prescribe me one. Thanks!
They have a number of different one’s. I was given about 4 (all completely different) in the first 2 years. The last one is a contour next but I am sure it varies widely in different areas.

Lakeslover

My latest NHS one is a fine test lite but it doesn’t have a Bluetooth function. I have also bought a Caresensedual which does ketone testing as well. Both meters produce similar readings.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

All meters available to buy in the UK must comply with a minimum accuracy regardless of whether they are available from the NHS or not.

pinkjude

My GP wont give monitors for type 2 so I bought a gluco navii which has been very accurate and also one of the cheapest to buy and run. The ones given on the NHS wont be NHS approved. All meters should be accurate regardless. Mine came with a solution so you can test its working properly if you get strange readings. Depends why you think they are strange?

Reactions: T2&confused

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
I think all meters must comply with a 15% accuracy , I personally use an Accu - Chek mobile as it is so convenient with a finger pricker incorporated in it and it uses a cassette rather than messing about with strips .

kitskinner

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My GP switched to Fine test Lite a couple of years ago. It's a good meter with very fast response but when I have a hospital appointment I have to take it in before so that they can download the numbers. It doesn't have internet capabilities

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
GlucoRXNexus. No internet function, but I don't need that. First one failed early on, so I hope this one lasts. It eats batteries.

Glucobabu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think all meters must comply with a 15% accuracy , I personally use an Accu - Chek mobile as it is so convenient with a finger pricker incorporated in it and it uses a cassette rather than messing about with strips .
That seems to be a great meter but my GP only prescribes AgaMatrix because the strips are cheap. It’s quite fiddly to use at night because both meter and strips are black!

jessj

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was lucky to be given one by my surgery, the GlucoRx Nexus mini ultra, which also came with testing solution. Used that once but not since. Stores a 1000 results, but you can buy a USB cable to download onto a PC if you want.

sunspots

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I was given a Finetest lite for a little period of monitoring - so no more strips now. I assume it was given because of its cheap strips. I have nothing to compare it with and it doesn't have a testing solution as far as I know. It reads high when I feel **** so I assume it's working OK.

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
I was lucky to be given one by my surgery, the GlucoRx Nexus mini ultra, which also came with testing solution. Used that once but not since. Stores a 1000 results, but you can buy a USB cable to download onto a PC if you want.
If you contact Glucos they will provide free batteries, log book to record readings and the usb cable to download - all free ;)

Reactions: jessj

jessj

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ooh thank you very much for that lovely nugget, @Lainie71, I shall do that tomorrow. :)

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

They tend to change them to whatever (strips) are cheaper
As I recall, they will do this even if you have had one before. Much the same I guess as how is self finders consider it

All machines have to have accuracy within a certain range as others have said

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
That seems to be a great meter but my GP only prescribes AgaMatrix because the strips are cheap. It’s quite fiddly to use at night because both meter and strips are black!
I think if you keep nagging your GP he will prescribe you a better meter , Mine did the same and prescribed only strips for the cheapest meter they could find until I pointed out that some type 1s are now being prescribed CGMs so why do I have to have the cheapest , He relented and now prescribes the cassettes for the ACCU- CHEK mobile which I find brilliant , The meters are usually given free of charge from the manufacturers as they make the money from the supply of the strips / cassettes .

Reactions: Glucobabu

Lillytan

I have a Sinocare safe AQ and it seems to be working well (not that I’ve any previous experience as this is all new to me too)
I do notice that my morning levels are always higher than the previous evening levels, which I am assuming is connected to the dawn phenomenon.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
My GP doesn't give out test meters and strips to Type 2s (me) in fact they discourage me from testing which I still do - costing me a small fortune :banghead:

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
I believe the manufacturers will supply meters free of charge (so they sell the corresponding strips) they just sent me a glucoRx HCT that I didn’t ask for.