What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Talk to them directly about the issue I’m sure despite size of order they will replace and claim from POst office on their Facebook page someone had a damaged Christmas hamper which was more than 35 and arrived in Scotland wet and damaged and Dan,once made aware, got a replacement sent out. Do get in touch they like to put things right.
Best email re orders is [email protected]
I have e-mailed them this afternoon but I have not heard back yet - I should have said order arrived today with lots of white on top of christmassy blondies and they have a grey tinge to them (don't look nice at all) and white dots? on back of ginger ones - not sure what the white is but I am sure the ones I got last week didn't have white on them - if yous have received yours ok - can you please check and see if there is any white on them and let me know? Btw anyone know how/where I cam complain to Royal Mail - to say I am totally scunnered is an under-statement - I paid over £35 that I couldn't really afford - what a disastor this has been ...

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Two slices of middle bacon, two egg and cheese omelette, mushrooms, two slices low carb carb toast and vegimite for breakfast.
Tub of greek yoghurt, lemon cordial with my usual mix in it for smoko.
Roast belly pork, green veggies and gravy for lunch.
Toasted cheese and onion sandwiches for supper at six.

Just had a text from the Woolies delivery truck driver that he may be an hour later than expected. That's put a crimp in what we were going to do today.

Just had an email to say my order place last Thursday is running late and apologising for the delay,
Lot of it about. :p

Reactions: Annb and maglil55

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Can you remember how many days yours were stuck in Peterborough? and that's the worry I have as well - I don't think dgf will replace the order as it was over £35 - what was the value of your order?
It was over £40. I wouldn't worry. I found them excellent when it came to replacement. Sitting around in Peterborough is not good for the product. I assume they are still on holiday in glorious Peterborough?

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have e-mailed them this afternoon but I have not heard back yet - I should have said order arrived today with lots of white on top of christmassy blondies and they have a grey tinge to them (don't look nice at all) and white dots? on back of ginger ones - not sure what the white is but I am sure the ones I got last week didn't have white on them - if yous have received yours ok - can you please check and see if there is any white on them and let me know? Btw anyone know how/where I cam complain to Royal Mail - to say I am totally scunnered is an under-statement - I paid over £35 that I couldn't really afford - what a disastor this has been ...
White dots are a mold. That's what was on the order I had replaced. I chanced trying one and they didn't taste right. I had no problems getting them replaced. I did ask if they wanted me to return the order but I was told to bin it.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wednesday 1 December Bed 7.9 FBG 7.8. Day 3 and my fence is complete (and a nice new back gate). Neighbour & us both agree it's an excellent job. @Antje77 so sorry the Goat didn't survive but you did everything you could.

B. TAG (still busy with coffees/bacon rolls)
L. 2 slices of SLC toast with egg mayo
D. Chicken wings with a 4 cheese baked dip and 3 M&S crackers. DGF Christmas pie with blackberries and a spoonful of brandy cream.

Got my Christmas delivery booked at the supermarket. Butcher order was in 2 weeks ago. Now I just been to plan my menu as I've just put anything in my order to secure the slot.

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
8am Coffee
10am Coffee
1am Sandwich & Crisps
6pm Chicken Kiev, Sweetcorn & Wedges (tested 5.2 @ 2 hours, no exercise)
9pm 2 Coors Light Beers
10pm Cheese & Crackers
10pm 3 Glasses of Apothic Red Wine

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Breakfast: fish cakes - half a dozen mini ones.

I have a litre pot of oxtail soup to have later, so meals all sorted for today. Took it out of the freezer last night to defrost and just left it on the draining board but it is still frozen at present. Should be OK in a few hours.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
He didn't improve so I've had him put down by the vet this afternoon.

So sorry to read this Antje, I only stopped in here briefly to see how your goat was faring.
To lose 2 lovely furry companions in such a short space of item is heartbreaking.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you all for your kind thoughts on my completely off-topic goat, it helps!

With life (and death) getting in the way like it did this week, I decided I should create some 'ready meals' for in my freezer. I haven't had anything resembling a proper meal in 4 days, and I've cursed diabetes for preventing me to just buy a somewhat sensible ready meal in the supermarket to pop in the microwave.

What I want to make is a complete meal I can freeze, and which doesn't need anything done with except microwaving and dumping on a plate. It doesn't even have to be a particularly nice meal, as long as it means I can have a meal without any work if necessary.

I was thinking cauliflower cheese with bacon. Would that freeze well? Any experience with this?
Other tips on filling meals (with vegetables, as that's the first thing I miss out on when resorting to lc sandwiches as my main meal!) which freeze well are very welcome too!

MommaE

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

With life (and death) getting in the way like it did this week, I decided I should create some 'ready meals' for in my freezer. I haven't had anything resembling a proper meal in 4 days, and I've cursed diabetes for preventing me to just buy a somewhat sensible ready meal in the supermarket to pop in the microwave.

What I want to make is a complete meal I can freeze, and which doesn't need anything done with except microwaving and dumping on a plate. It doesn't even have to be a particularly nice meal, as long as it means I can have a meal without any work if necessary.

I was thinking cauliflower cheese with bacon. Would that freeze well? Any experience with this?
Other tips on filling meals (with vegetables, as that's the first thing I miss out on when resorting to lc sandwiches as my main meal!) which freeze well are very welcome too!
The Green Chicken Enchilada Cauliflower from ibreatheimhungry.com is a favourite here; using fresh cauliflower and home baked chicken I haven’t had problems with freezing portions.

Reactions: Riva_Roxaban

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was thinking cauliflower cheese with bacon. Would that freeze well?

So long as the cauliflower is well drained it should freeze well.

Other tips on filling meals (with vegetables, as that's the first thing I miss out on

How about a big batch of mince fried with whatever vegetables you fancy? Quick to prepare and easy to defrost and serve. Cheese on top of it would work well too.

Or some chicken pieces with roasted vegetables.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The Green Chicken Enchilada Cauliflower from ibreatheimhungry.com is a favourite here; using fresh cauliflower and home baked chicken I haven’t had problems with freezing portions.
Thanks!
I hardly ever cook with chicken (no idea why really) but I'm sure this will work with any other meat as well, exactly the kind of recipe I was looking for! So it's now in my CMT. :)
How about a big batch of mince fried with whatever vegetables you fancy? Quick to prepare and easy to defrost and serve. Cheese on top of it would work well too.
Perfect!

Last edited:
Reactions: Goonergal

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
No no white bits on mine def mould because stuck in post plus you don’t need to claim from the post office DGF should replace and they will be able to claim their costs back from P.O.- hope you hear from DGF soon. If not email again maybe with photos? Or you could ring them I’m sure they will replace.
edit just spotted on Facebook deliciously guilt free chat that Dan says he’s had real issues with Royal Mail this week and asks any customers to email and they will put it right.

Last edited:

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Lunch three eggs scrambled in butter and slice of hm lc toast followed by a few nuts, spoon of yoghurt and three squares of 90% chocolate
Dinner salmon in lemon butter with asparagus and glass of dry white wine followed by DGF blondie warmed and served with spoon of double cream.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lunch- 3 egg cheese omelette and salad. Few raspberries and cream.

Dinner - so disappointed in The low Carb Co beef and celeriac pie - it was really quite horrible. The filling was just a grey sludge with no obvious chunks of meat, the whole thing had a slimy texture, I definitely won’t be getting these again but hopefully it will have put the brakes on my current spell of buying ready prepared food. I always cooked from scratch before dx and would never have bought a shop pie so I’ve no idea why I’ve started doing that sort of thing now. Had it with buttered cabbage and some of those mixed fancy mushrooms sautéed in butter. 2 glasses red to try and salvage some enjoyment from the meal.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Lunch- 3 egg cheese omelette and salad. Few raspberries and cream.

Dinner - so disappointed in The low Carb Co beef and celeriac pie - it was really quite horrible. The filling was just a grey sludge with no obvious chunks of meat, the whole thing had a slimy texture, I definitely won’t be getting these again but hopefully it will have put the brakes on my current spell of buying ready prepared food. I always cooked from scratch before dx and would never have bought a shop pie so I’ve no idea why I’ve started doing that sort of thing now. Had it with buttered cabbage and some of those mixed fancy mushrooms sautéed in butter. 2 glasses red to try and salvage some enjoyment from the meal.

Thanks for the warning - I was just looking at that pie on their website. Must try to make my own low carb pastry.

Reactions: DJC3

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: coffee shop coconut cappuccino and a Carb Killa bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and a PE protein bar
Dinner: lamb koftas, coleslaw and salad followed by DGF lemon and blueberry cake with cream.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I think the cauli might become very wet on defrosting, but others may know better.
How about hearty soups you could stand a spoon in? If you want to thicken it a bid, run a stick blender in it for a short while to pure some of the veg, but leaving lots of bulk too.

A decent vat of stew -with or without veg. A batch of curry - doesn't need rice. I often have curry in a bowl and just concentrate on the deliciousness. Chilli. Bolognese.

You could also prep some tandoori marinade and freeze chicken in some of it. From there a portion is only c40 minutes in the oven (although I tend to use the airfryer) - totally delicious.

Sometimes the organisation required for adulting is just plain old tedious.

(So sorry to hear about your goat Antje. Not an easy thing to do.)

Reactions: Riva_Roxaban

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
White dots are a mold. That's what was on the order I had replaced. I chanced trying one and they didn't taste right. I had no problems getting them replaced. I did ask if they wanted me to return the order but I was told to bin it.
No no white bits on mine def mould because stuck in post plus you don’t need to claim from the post office DGF should replace and they will be able to claim their costs back from P.O.- hope you hear from DGF soon. If not email again maybe with photos? Or you could ring them I’m sure they will replace.
edit just spotted on Facebook deliciously guilt free chat that Dan says he’s had real issues with Royal Mail this week and asks any customers to email and they will put it right.
Hey thanks for that - he replied to me late last night apologised and said he would resend order out to me today so that I would hopefully have over the weekend but I think he may have forgot as I have not received anything further from him today and no word from Royal Mail as yet so I will give him until Monday after post has been and if still nothing, I will e-mail him again - thanks for that Shelley as I don't do facebook so I wasn't aware - thanks again for your help/advice

Reactions: maglil55