Crazy blood sugar's and cough

JCBBFC27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This cough is not Covid related but rather this "Super Cold" everyone seems to be getting. I have been ill with it for 3 weeks now and my sugars are flying up and down so hard to correct highs. Usually I'm unwell my sugars tend to go slightly higher but nothing like this. Has anyone else had this experience with this virus lately and do you have any advice on it. Just attached below some libre graphs showing how crazy they have been.
180437455.jpg
274317561.jpg

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
A few thoughts
- are you sure your levels are really going that high? Libre tends to over estimate highs which is why it is always recommended to check with a finger prick before correcting.
- when levels are high, we tend to become insulin resistant so may need more insulin to correct something over a 12.
- I find high blood sugars emphasise any ache, cough, sniff and then, the cough, ache and sniff makes my levels go even higher and it feel as if I am stuck in a look. Therefore, it is important to lower your blood sugars.
- have you increased your basal insulin?
- have you been to the doctors/pharmacist for some medication to treat your cough?

JCBBFC27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A few thoughts
- are you sure your levels are really going that high? Libre tends to over estimate highs which is why it is always recommended to check with a finger prick before correcting.
- when levels are high, we tend to become insulin resistant so may need more insulin to correct something over a 12.
- I find high blood sugars emphasise any ache, cough, sniff and then, the cough, ache and sniff makes my levels go even higher and it feel as if I am stuck in a look. Therefore, it is important to lower your blood sugars.
- have you increased your basal insulin?
- have you been to the doctors/pharmacist for some medication to treat your cough?
With the glucose levels yeah I usually test aswell as like you say it can overestimate sometimes. I've tried to contact with my Diabetes team but it's hard to get through at the moment. I'm going to increase my lantus a little tonight see what that does until my sugars become abit more normal. Very stressful I went to the doctor's about my cough but it's basically a waiting game as it's a virus not bacterial caused.

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hope you feel better soon. You said the cough wasn't Covid related. Don't want to worry you, but just wondered if you'd done a pcr test in the last few days, as if you've been vaccinated some people are thinking it's a cold, and then testing positive for Covid when one person in family has to do a lateral flow test for work etc.

Reactions: JCBBFC27

JCBBFC27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hope you feel better soon. You said the cough wasn't Covid related. Don't want to worry you, but just wondered if you'd done a pcr test in the last few days, as if you've been vaccinated some people are thinking it's a cold, and then testing positive for Covid when one person in family has to do a lateral flow test for work etc.
Thank you and I did go and get a PCR test which was negative thankfully. I use the Antigen ones often too

Reactions: Hopeful34

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
My charts look like that all the time lol, I hope you get better soon!

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Had the super cough and it was embarrassing to keep explaining I didn't have covid. it passed after 3 weeks and never made me feel that ill other than tired from coughing when I was horizontal! Blood sugars not great but it always does amaze me how much extra basal is needed to keep on top of that response to infection. Sounds as if you are doing the right thing.
Ironically I am now covid positive (pcr and lateral flow) but completely symptomless with no response from my blood sugars. Tested because my husband was couhing and both kids also positive not because I had any symptoms. Were it not for the badgering of Track and Trace I would have easily forgotten I was ill!

JCBBFC27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Had the super cough and it was embarrassing to keep explaining I didn't have covid. it passed after 3 weeks and never made me feel that ill other than tired from coughing when I was horizontal! Blood sugars not great but it always does amaze me how much extra basal is needed to keep on top of that response to infection. Sounds as if you are doing the right thing.
Ironically I am now covid positive (pcr and lateral flow) but completely symptomless with no response from my blood sugars. Tested because my husband was couhing and both kids also positive not because I had any symptoms. Were it not for the badgering of Track and Trace I would have easily forgotten I was ill!
Oh wow I hope everyone Is doing okay! Crazy how different Covid effects us all differently. The first week I was very unwell which was the 8th of November. Since then just an annoying cough and sudden moments of exhaustion. The doctor said it's most likely a virus so can't do much apart from helping my body rest to fight it.